Marijuana and diabetes

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Badbug, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Badbug Badbug

• Since:
    A friend and I would like to know if diabetics can have any ill effects from smoking. We heard that it lowers blood glucose levels which is what causes "the munchies". Is this true? Is it a problem? How much of one? If you indulge your munchie craving can you conteract any problems? Please help us out, weekend entertainment depends on it! thanx! :confused:
  2. Greenman Greenman

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 8, 2000
    A diabetic friend of mine (who did NOT smoke pot) said that diabetics can eat the same things we can, they just have to be careful of the quantity that they eat because of their blood sugar.

Your friend should have all the instramentation to tell if marijuana is indeed lowering his blood glucose level. If he does not already have a blood sugar testing kit then he really should invest in one.

I am not a doctor, however, since glaucoma is caused by diabeties in some people, and marijuana is used to treat glaucoma, and the fact that no one has died from marijuana, would lead me to believe that there are not any dire heath risks for a diabetic smoking pot if the keep an eye on their blood sugar and what they eat when they have the munchies. However, I would definatly get a second opinon, preferably from a professional or several other diabetics who are also long term pot smokers before taking my words as gospel. After all, this is your health we are talking about, and you should always take care of your heath first.

Peace
  3. bostonai bostonai

• Since:
    Diabetics

First of all, what kind of a diabetic is your friend? I, II? NIDD? If s/he takes insulin shots more than twice a day, I would monitor glucose within 30min of ingestion. However, I checked my herbal PDR and it says nothing about glucose being lowered due to intake.
  4. Greenman Greenman

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Oct 8, 2000
    Not sure of the type, but he did take insulin shots, and he took them more than twice a day. He even had this cool little electronic blood sugar testing kit with him. I was fasinated by it, but never actually used it myself.

Peace
  5. Bluesman Bluesman

• Since: Dec 30, 2006
    Hooch & Diabetes Type 2

As long as you can fight the munchies marijuana will not worsen or lessen your diabetes, and if you do munch out, eat chicken or meat.
    This is tried and true over a 20yr period with having diabetes.
  6. nerphroll nerphroll

• Since: Jul 31, 2005
    Bluesman if I may ask, do you smoke or vape? My philosophy these days in general is to vape whenever possible. I feel that it is inherently cleaner and healthier than traditional smoking, over the long run. I feel it makes sense for anyone, but especially for someone for diabetes. Not really for the blood glucose control issue, but more for the avoidance of progressive atherosclerosis which people with diabetes are more at risk for than the general population.
  7. jameselliott13 jameselliott13

• Since: Sep 9, 2009
    pot and diabetes

Hey everyone my name is Jimmy and I am a 22 year old who has been diabetic since the age of 15. When I was first diagnosed I hadn't at the point tried any drugs. When I started drinking my blood sugar levels were really bad and it spiked it all the time. I cut down on drinking because it effects me so bad based on my diabetes. Now on to the pot talk.....

I have been smoking weekly for the past year and a half almost two years. Most recently I have been smoking 6 times a week because I really study better when I'm high. I just went to the doctors for my usual 6 month check up, and my sugar levels were perfect over the last 6 months. So basically within a span of 6 months my average blood sugar percentage was 6.0%. For my height and weight my average is 4 to 6%. This is all because I am not an idiot and I take care of myself. Yeah I smoke pot weekly but it does less harm on me then anything I can think of that would be considered a drug. So basically you just have to take care of yourself and you will be good to pass go to your golden years....Ha
  8. Chronikjuggalo Chronikjuggalo

• Since: Feb 6, 2010
    U know I read somewhere that u can be prescribed medical marijuana for diabetes. I don't know if it's true or not, but that'd be awesome!!
  9. Storm Crow Storm Crow

• Since: Feb 11, 2010
    How about some real scientific studies?

Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says
    Non-Psychoactive Cannabinoid Reduces Incidence Of Diabetes, Study Says - NORML

Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy
    Marijuana Compound May Help Stop Diabetic Retinopathy

Anticoagulant Effects of a Cannabis Extract in an Obese Rat Model
    Anticoagulant effects of a Cannabis extract in an obese rat model.

Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol
    Neuroprotective and Blood-Retinal Barrier-Preserving Effects of Cannabidiol in Experimental Diabetes -- El-Remessy et al. 168 (1): 235 -- American Journal of Pathology

The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therapies
    IngentaConnect The Cannabinergic System as a Target for Anti-inflammatory Therap...

Effect of tetrahydrocurcumin on blood glucose, plasma insulin and hepatic key enzymes
    Unbound MEDLINE | Effect of tetrahydrocurcumin on blood glucose, plasma insulin and hepatic key enzymes in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Journal article abstract

Cannabidiol reduces the development of diabetes in an animal study
    International Association for Cannabis as Medicine

Getting Eye On Cannabinoids
    Getting Eye On Cannabinoids: The Hempire - [cannabis, uk]

Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics
    Marijuana compound could prevent eye damage in diabetics: The Hempire - [cannabis, legalise]

The synthetic cannabinoid HU-210 attenuates neural damage in diabetic mice and hyperglycemic pheochromocytoma PC12 cells
    Diabetes | Evolutionism | Dr. Bob Melamede

Cannabidiol arrests onset of autoimmune diabetes in NOD mice
    CSA: Cannabis Research - Diabetes

Cannabidiol attenuates high glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption
    Cannabidiol attenuates high glucose-induced endothelial cell inflammatory response and barrier disruption

Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocytes
    Unbound MEDLINE | Biological effects of THC and a lipophilic cannabis extract on normal and insulin resistant 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Journal article abstract

Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract on diabetes induced neuropathy and oxidative stress.
    Unbound MEDLINE | Beneficial effects of a Cannabis sativa extract treatment on diabetes-induced neuropathy and oxidative stress. Journal article abstract

These are all from "Granny Storm Crow's MMJ Reference List" - my collection of MMJ studies. Hope they help you.

Granny :hippy:
  10. sanfranciscosadhu sanfranciscosadhu

• Since: Nov 28, 2008
    I think it's better to smoke ( or better yet vape) when you actually have some food in your stomach.,preferably a little protein. That way the munchies are lessened and the blood sugar does not go all over the place.
  11. TDD TDD

• Since: Dec 1, 2011
    What is the bottom line? Does pot raise or lower blood glucose levels?
  12. Guliverswift Guliverswift

• Since: Jan 23, 2012
    Hey everyone... this is my first post on this sight... I joined specifically to answer this question. My wife is a 25y/o type 1 diabetic. We've smoked several times together and it always seems to cause her blood sugar to spike very high causing her to feel sick and vomit (500-600 generally ) within 45 min to an hour of smoking. We generally drink when we smoke, so this may be a contributing factor, though its never really enough for her to be drunk before smoking.

My advice to diabetics looking to smoke for the first time:
    1) Make sure you're with ppl who are aware of your condition and take care of you if something happens.
    2) Take it slow! Just take one hit to begin with. Keep in mind, that a lot of ppl don't get high the first time they smoke because they don't know how to smoke (unless they smoke more dangerous substances like tobacco ;-))
    3) Know your blood sugar! The first few times you get high, test before you smoke, 30 min in, an hour in, etc. until you get a sense of how your body reacts to being high. And DON'T forget to account for any snacks you eat while having the munchies!
    4) It's not likely that you'll have a choice of weed the first time you get high, but if you do, aim for something that gives a 'head' high, rather than a 'full-body' high. The latter tends to be sedative and can really alter one's sense of time, causing them to forget things such as testing blood sugar and shooting insulin. Along these same lines, note that brownies and other "medicated" foods produce a different, often stronger, high and should be used with extreme caution in my opinion. Brownies and the like also take longer to take affect, so be careful not to think you need to eat more!
    5) Try to avoid drinking alcohol simultaneously. This may be the root of my wifes problem as it causes a multiplier effect.

Well I hope that answers some questions for type 1's out there. Be safe!
    5)
  13. Eich13 Eich13

• Since: Jan 25, 2012
    Diabetes and marijauna

I have 2 diabetic friends that are constantly smoking and they both are type 1( a more serious type of diabetes) they are perfectly fine while smoking but they do keep an eye on their blood sugar level. But since they are diabetics from birth they can tell when their blood sugar is high or low. Also they usually eat things that are in their regular diet when they smoke unless they need sugar. So far I their have been no bad effects of smoking on them and they've been smoking for over 7 years now.