Marijuana and Fluoxetine

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by HexagonSun, Sep 16, 2005.

1. HexagonSun HexagonSun

• Since: Sep 16, 2005
    I have been taking a 20mg daily dosage of Fluoxetine (Prozzac) for one year now to counteract the effects of depression. The result is that I am commonly left in a feeling of complete emotion neutrality. In other words, I feel niether extreme happiness, nor extreme sadness/anger etc., which can, at times, be extremely frusterating. I most often cannot express any emotions, even if I would like to.
    I started smoking marijuana about a month after I began taking the Fluoxetine, and I discovered that I was able, for a short time, to experience extreme emotions again, in particular; happiness. My question is whether or not this combination of drugs may have any harmful effects on my health, aside from the known effects of marijuana. Any educated help would be appreciated.
  2. cyranix cyranix

• Since: Sep 9, 2005
    In the past, I have been on a number of "mood stabilizers", such as prozac, depekote, lithium, and zoloft. I never really noticed that pot was causing any kind of adverse or abnormal effects while I was on them, it was reccommended to me more than once that they shouldn't be combined.

It is worth mentioning that Mike Tyson defended several of his (*ahem*) actions claiming that a combination of marijuana and anti-depressants caused temporary loss of sanity. I also have seen a number of people on certain combinations like paxil and marijuana, acting extremely out of the ordinary (anything from walking or talking funny, to clearly violent tendancies and behavior which they would otherwise NEVER exhibit).

Depending on your age, prozac alone is a dangerous drug. Especially among teens, it has been reported in the past to cause very sudden EXTREME suicidal tendancies, and even in my case caused me blackouts and I was subject to extreme emotional "outbursts", and thats without the help of pot or alcohol, so you should definately be aware that you are definately at risk...

Personally, I figured out at some point in time that marijuana alone was much more effective at balancing my emotions than prescription drugs were. I never really thought I had a problem to begin with, but thats a different story. The point is, you should pick one or the other. Marijuana never made me feel like stepping out in front of a car or trying to slash my wrists, but anti-depressants definately allowed me to "consider" certain things like that while effectively "numbing" the part of my brain that would normally tune out those kind of thoughts...

That being said, people with bi-polar disorder, or extreme depression who have been successfully treated with prescription drugs are rather famous for their tendancy to stop taking those drugs and then have a "bad episode", so if you really need prozac to function normally, I'd suggest you put the pot down. Vice-versa, bi-polar disorder and depression are the two most commonly misdiagnosed psychological conditions in the united states, and most doctors would rather just put you on pills than sit down and determine appropriately whether or not you really have that condition. If that is your case, get off the prozac and see if maybe just smoking a joint or two every day fixes your problem (don't just quit taking prozac or any other drug like that though. After the "load" period when you start, or after about 2 weeks, if you just quit taking it, you can have an extreme withdrawal effect which could even kill you, if not just leaving you in a coma, or causing permanent brain damage. Talk to your doctor about "weening" you off of it).

Either way, pick one and stay with it. Its not worth the risk to have the best of both worlds.
  3. HexagonSun HexagonSun

• Since: Sep 16, 2005
    Well that was a very informative piece of advice, and I am very grateful that you would share your experience with me. I agree with your statement that prozac can cause some pretty wacked out behavior. I have noticed that I think alot of very violent thoughts that I know would normally disturb me, but don't. I have often thought of murdering my classmates and friends, and I know that is not normal. Those thoughts never occured to me before taking the prozac. I used to think about suicide fairly often, but never really considered it, whereas now I think about it less, but usually end up thinking about it way too deeply. I feel a much deeper hatred for others than I do for myself, and that is unusual because I was once very considerate of others. I think that it is pretty clear that the prozac is a deeper problem, and I will try to ween myself off of it. I tryed to quit taking the prozac once by simply removing it completely, but by the third or fourth day I came close to collapsing several times. Needless to say, I haven't tried to quit again :rolleyes: Anyways, thanks again for your advice, and I hope I can get rid of the prozac.
  4. cyranix cyranix

• Since: Sep 9, 2005
    Heres a simple piece of advice that I think can be helpful to ANYONE, but especially to people who have, or might have some form of mental disorder similar to manic/depression, bi-polar disorder, etc.

As silly as it sounds, make some kind of journal. I had a little notepad that I just kept in my pocket to make little jots on, but every time you get some thought that you "pay attention" to, write it down for yourself, and "rate" the thought (I used a 0-9 scale, where 0 was "stupid thought, inconsequential", and 9 was "disturbing thought, bad idea", basically meaning when I'd just get off in my own world, not a big deal, but if I'm thinking about hurting myself or someone else, I need to adjust my thinking).

This will help you do several things: First of all, you can track how often certain types of ideas are happening, and probably figure out what is triggering them. Secondly, once you know where these kinds of feelings are coming from, you can start weening them out of your life (for instance, I figured out that it was my resistance to authority that used to make me start thinking about wanting to "be in charge", which is where I got a lot of my violence from. Recognizing this, and learning to deal with it differently changed the whole way people viewed me). Thirdly, taking personal time to just make your little notes is a great way to relax, and was often more convenient than my normal cigarette breaks. I discovered about myself that even though I might crave a lot of attention, I also need a lot more "alone time" than most people do. Journaling is a very convenient method for this. Finally, getting stressful and angry thoughts down on paper gets them out of your head. I think a lot of people have a habit of just trying to ignore irritating thoughts like that, and just sticking them in the back of your memory is probably what makes people finally just "crack".

I hate people a lot too. I'm especially sensitive about (forgive me for this:) stupid people, and fat ugly people. I mention that only because as hard as something like that is to recognize about yourself or accept sometimes, the sooner you can admit it to yourself and say "Okay, WHY do I have this problem", the sooner you'll be able to answer it for yourself, and probably decide on an appropriate way to handle it. There are probably some downsides that you'll come to figure are a part of who you are, and you don't want that to change. There are probably a lot of things you don't even realize are autonomous reactions in your brain that you just can't help.

Drugs like Prozac aren't going to help you if you're pissed off at the world because the world really hasn't done you right. I don't hate stupid people because of a chemical imbalance. I hate stupid people because throughout my life, they've always been the ones that caused me stress. Honestly. I know a couple of really nice people who are dumb as rocks, and as nice as they are, I can't smoke pot with most of them, because they're stupid enough to say something to the wrong person and I'd end up in jail. No drug is likely to change that feeling in me, its a bias that I really just have to deal with. Prozac is useful for people who literally can't help themselves like that. People whose brain chemistry is so off balance, they just start crying in the middle of anything for NO REASON. It must be hard to imagine, but trust me, they exist.

If your doctor thinks you're depressed because you have trouble sleeping sometimes, or you "often have suicidal thoughts", etc... Its not neccessarily so. Its hard to deal with life in todays society, and with so many things around us to cause bother, its really no surprise that a lot of people have these symptoms. Frankly, I think anytime somebody realizes that they're either "not making any money", or "life isn't going so well", or when you go through a breakup/divorce, etc, its EASY to start thinking about suicide, or engaging in compulsive behavior like biting fingernails or pulling out hair. It doesn't mean you're depressed, it means that life isn't ideal and perfect like it SHOULD be ;).

Theres a happy medium somewhere for most all of us. Its just about figuring out what we want, how to get there, and dying somewhere just short of that goal. What I mean by that, is that if you have everything you want, you won't be happy. In the words of Dr. Spock, "It is often more fulfilling to want, than to have."
  5. ZeroGrrl ZeroGrrl

• Since: Oct 4, 2005
    Like yourself, and probably quite a umber fo tohers here, I have been on medication for depression for many years.

Don't be too put off by the scare stories concerning Prozac; these exist for most SSRI medications, and so long as you have a good, honest relationship with your GP, and are able to recognise the symptoms of an impending 'crash', you should be fine. The ony one I'd really steer clear of is Seroxat.

I know what you mean about the emotional void; I'm on Cipramil at present and while it helps enormously to alleviate the physical symptoms (anxiety, panic etc), it doesn't do uch to combat the 'overthinking' from which I suffer. That's where the weed comes in; it allows me to process each thought pattern at a time, instead of being swamped with too much inofrmation, which inevitably causes brain fog, and more upset.

The journal idea, btw, is an an invaluable one, especially if you're quite newly diagnosed.
  6. eddyjeg eddyjeg

• Since: Oct 26, 2005
    I take 8 prescription psych drugs and have been smoking for a long time. I think it is the drug that LEAST interacts with psych meds. Alcohol really ****s them up...JACK
  7. wendyflett wendyflett

• Since: Jan 2, 2006
  8. Dun Dun

• Since: Jul 6, 2003
    Marijuana and prozac aren't likely to cause problems in combination, but stay away from alcohol.

Agreed, paxil (seroxat) is horrible.
  9. oneluv4boognish oneluv4boognish

• Since: Nov 13, 2005
    I know atleast for me prozac didn't work...so then i got put on celexa....and that was even worse. I'd suggest avoiding celexa as well.