Marijuana and The Bible

Discussion in 'Religion' started by SmokinSD79, Sep 20, 2006.

1. SmokinSD79 SmokinSD79

• Since: Sep 20, 2006
    Ok here's my question. I believe in the bible and I smoke marijuana. The bible says that God told man that every herb bearing seed is good and man should use it. I would say this includes marijuana. Also there has been some research that the Hebrew word "kanesh-bosm" translated 'flowering cane' is actually cannabis and is used in the Bible. Yet why do most who call themselves Christian and believe in the Bible say marijuana is bad? The thing is I consider myself a Christian too, but am a little confused. Am I the only one who considers themselves a Christian, yet smokes, and sees this seemingly contradiction? The only opinions I have found online, are from those who call themselves Christians and agree on the bud issue, but I don't agree with most of their other beliefs. I guess I'm just trying to figure out if I'm alone in feeling this way or not? Thanks and hi by the way!
    :wave:
  2. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:
    Im a muslim, meaning that I also believe in the majority of what the bible says, which includes that part. Therefore I 100% agree with you. Also in the quran it nowhere says intoxicants are forbidden but it says that alcohol and gambling are forbidden because they do more harm than good.
  3. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    That's why I'm preparing a nice Deadly Nightshade salad to go with dinner tonight, maybe with a nice blueberry vinaigrette... :rolleyes:

The Genesis quote is the lamest argument for marijuana that I've heard.

Many Christians believe that you're supposed to keep your mind focused on Jesus and that anything that alters your consciousness takes away from your relationship with your personal Saviour.

The bible is a book written by many men over a long period of time. If you know where to look, you can find support for just about any position in it.

The bible tells us that we must kill homosexuals, that we must love our neighbors, that we must marry our brother's widow, that we should only marry if we can't control our lust, that we should turn the other cheek, and that we should sell our cloaks and use the proceeds to buy swords. If I was going to believe in a book I'd want to believe in one that was more consistent.
  4. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:
    Buzzby i agree 100% except for the fact that cannabis brings you away from god. It has brought me closer. I guess it depends which side you were more towards in the first place. If you were a non religious christian you would probably become an athiest. If you were a sort of or really religious christian than you would get more religious. I guess it also depends on what youre thinking about while your high. God, or Logic? To think that god is not existant to begin with is a sin. So marijuana doesnt create those beliefs it only strengthens what you already believe because it shows the world more clearly and easy to see everything how really is and then your judgment based upon what you see is made.
  5. SmokinSD79 SmokinSD79

Actually Buzzby I'm not questioning the Bible and I have looked at your posts and see you do not believe in it, and that's fine. I'm not here to argue. My beliefs are mine, and yours or if you don't have any, are yours. I guess personally I feel like I'd like to reconcile my beliefs with smoking pot. I firmly believe that if God made everything (and I do believe this) than he made marijuana too. So what is wrong with me smoking it, like some Christians would say? Cannot I not be a Christian and a pot smoker too? Just like some can be Muslim and be pot smokers, or atheists and pot smokers, or Jewish and pot smokers, etc.... I kind of like what the last post said about those who are more religously bent when smoking will lean towards that, while those who are not, won't. Although I don't believe in religion as an orginazation and don't consider myself a religion.Of course if you don't believe in the Bible, than you would say, "What does it even matter what the Bible says?" and "There's no reconciling to do". I understand your point of view and respect it, but that's not what I was asking I guess. Mainly I was just looking to see if anyone felt the same way I do, I love Jesus, but I also love smoking marijuana. Anyone? Or am I just a lone sheep? Lol. Peace and love--A.:cool:
  6. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:

well said, very well said (claps, applaudes)

by the way, buzzby is buddhist, which is a religion or philosiphy or combination of the two which I highly respect and agree with in many ways, particularly its teachings on how to be a good human. I dont believe in reincarnation though or any of that.
  7. carlover_36 carlover_36

• Since: Sep 5, 2005
    My View

I too have fought with similar feelings of guilt and uncertainty.I have come to the following conclusions.
    First,the Bible is really nothing more than a guide book.It contains stories,written by people,that can help us through this time we spend together.
    Second,there is no passage in the Bible that says anything about smoking Marijuana.Wether it be pro or con.All "laws" are created by people,people who think they have a right to tell everyone else how to live and what we can do with our lives and bodies.
    Third,as Buzzby pointed out,the Bible contradics itself continuously.The only part that makes any real sence is the "Ten Commandments".Or,the basic rule."Treat everyone as you would like to be treated"
    Finally,believing all of the above,smoking Marijuana, or not smoking Marijuana,becomes a personel issue and not a religous one.:wave:
  8. 420godfather 420godfather

• Since: Sep 24, 2006
    ...very valid points made by all. I believe in The Father, The Son and The Holy Ghost and I partake of the herb, have for more than 30 yrs. I also believe that herb is against " mans law " , and no one else's.
  9. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    Actually, it doesn't.
  10. 1tokeovertheline 1tokeovertheline

• Since: Feb 15, 2006
    So does the devil and he trembles....
    So did many priest that were child molestors....
    Your point is.......what???

I don't know what "religion" you are but they all come up with some catch phrase to justify what they do. I wonder how the Catholic priests justified what they did. I bet they went to confession and confessed their sins to God and it was OK. At least that is what they believed. Maybe they thought the children were the "temple prostitutes" and justified it that way.:angel:
  11. 420godfather 420godfather

I dont need a catch phrase to justify my self. In fact, I dont have to justify myself to you at all. And why do you feel the need to compare me to the devil and a child molestor, without even knowing me? :cool:
  12. 1tokeovertheline 1tokeovertheline

:D I'm not comparing you to anybody. I am saying that you are
    justifying yourself with a catch phrase. (Mans law) If you don't feel you have to justify yourself then why are you doing it? Your post is self righteous Christian bullshit if I ever heard any. Read what you wrote and see what you think.;) Before you ask, I will answer a couple of questions you have.
    1) Have you read the Bible?
    Ans: Yes I have, several times.
    2) Do you go to church?
    Ans: Not anymore, but I did for years, I have done Sunday night sermons and held adult Bible studies a Bible thumping, devil chasing, tongue talking, spirit filled Pentecostal church.

I have heard more "Christians" justify what they do to make it "OK" then you can count.
    I don't care if you smoke pot or if you are a "Christian" just don't try to make "Christians" believe it is OK to smoke pot. Any "Christian" church that I have been to or heard of "preach" that it isn't OK.
    Christian means Christ like.....some will disagree, but I don't believe Christ smoked pot. I don't think He needed to.;)

Know ye not that your body is the temple of God??
    Sound familar?? I thought so.
    Maybe you are really a Rasifarian(sp) and don't know it.:D

If not then just keep thumping your own chest and your Bible and smoking pot because it is "Man's law". Jesus was crucified between two criminals so I am sure He wouldn't mind if you break "Man's law" which makes you a criminal.
    Have a good day and don't forget to go to church this Sunday and tell your Pastor that you smoke pot.:) I am sure he and the rest of the congregation will forgive you for it. After all forgiveness is what it's all about.;)
  13. 420godfather 420godfather

...no, I don't have any questions for you. Never did! MY first response in this thread was to the original poster. Then you come here and bash me because...?? that's ok , I can give as good as I get but that's not what I'm here for! Why don't you go to church any more? If you don't mind me asking.
  14. 420godfather 420godfather

by the way smokinsd.....ALL have sinned and fall short of the glory of God! Romans, 3:23 [ note the word ALL ]:)
  15. 1tokeovertheline 1tokeovertheline

Too many self righteous chest beating "Christians"..... justifying that their sin is OK, but.........when it came to yours on the other hand.....:) It may show a little in my reply to you.;)

I think I realized that I was becoming one of them and I didn't like it. Nothing wrong with believing in God and reading the Bible , in my opinion. It's just "Christians" are their own worst enemy, in my opinion.

PS
    I am not bashing you by the way. It is your "Christian" act that I am addressing. I am sure you have been taught what you think.:D
  16. twister twister

I've often wondered the same thing,Smokin' and in my own mind I'm sure that a Christian isn't supposed to get stoned.Every individual will have to make up their on minds on that.I know that the words marijuana,ghanja and rapture aren't in the bible but you can go to Crosswalk.com - Devotionals, Christian Music, Family, Christian News, Forums & more and do keyword searches on the bible.I did one on the word sober and came up with this;
    Titus 2;12....training us to renounce irreligion and worldly passions, and to live sober, upright, and godly lives in this world...

1st Peter1;13 ...Therefore gird up your minds, be sober...

1st Peter4;7...The end of all things is at hand; therefore keep sane and sober for your prayers.

1st Peter5;8...Be sober, be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking some one to devour.

Read the verses for the full context,but I'm reasonably sure the word sober is being used as we use the word now.And I'm surely not preaching to you,as some of the stuff I've had recently has made me anything but sober...
  17. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Actually, it does.

18. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:
    Did you know the bible has changed very much since it was first preached?;)
  19. twister twister

What part of the bible has changed since you first "heard it preached"?:D
  20. Zubi420 Zubi420

• Since:
    Its widely believed that the bible has been altered from in its original form. I never I said I heard it. Im just saying, it does not make up much sense how the bible is right now, and many scholars, Christian even, and scientists especially, believe it is altered.

Proof: Contradictions and proofs of Historical Corruptions in the Bible.

;)