Marijuana and Weight Lifting

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by st0ner421, Mar 5, 2003.

1. st0ner421 st0ner421

• Since: Sep 23, 2002
    I was wondering if marijuana had any negative effects on weight lifting or working out. I have been working out about 4 or 5 times a week trying to build up more muscle. There is visible growth but I also smoke pot everyday and multiple times a day. Does smoking pot cause me to have less muscle growth than i would if i didnt smoke and worked out the same ammount?
  2. CheebaMonkey CheebaMonkey

• Since: Dec 19, 2002
    I work out too and I'm going to edit this post when I get back from school and answer your question.

The short answer is no. It might depend on the situation though.

But let me ask you this. Do you know about the nutritional and sleep aspect of bodybuilding?

Got another question for ya. Did you just recently start working out?
  3. techno_trancer techno_trancer

• Since: Oct 19, 2001
    No, it dosnt cause you to have less muscle growth, back last summer me and my friends used to go to the gym a few times a week just f*ckin fried out of are minds and spend a good 2 hours pumping iron. yah, we would be really tired near the end from burning out we could lift alot more and not seem as tired when we were in the first hour or so, then after that, we would smoke more and chill on the couch to some xbox :D
  4. st0ner421 st0ner421

damn...i just wrote a really long post but my browser messed up...to make a long story short..yes, i know some about the nurtitional and sleep aspect fo body building....do i follow this..not exactly. I try to get an 18/6 sleep schedule and i try to eat right but its hard...college can do that. plus very lazy roommates dont help. im not trying to bulk up here and get huge..i just want a decent increase. will it effect it?

yeah ps2 is the way to go after a workput and a bowl or 2 of dro...you only have to move your fingers:) yes
  5. soybomb soybomb

• Marijuana Guru
    • Since: Sep 26, 2001
    If anyone ever sees me in person, I think you will know that smoking marijuana has no negative effects on muscle building.

:p
  6. PhreshwaterPhunk PhreshwaterPhunk

• Mister Natural
    • Since: Dec 30, 2002
    heyy, now ive got a question. i hate working out, so if i worked out while baked i could get really jacked, cause burning muscles would feel cool...or something like that, if u get what im saying. do u know if you can strenghen your muscles while high?
  7. CheebaMonkey CheebaMonkey

Okay, that's good you know about nutrition and sleep.

Testosterone is important for lifting weights. In some animal studies, scientists have given very high doses of THC and caused a decrease in hormone levels. But us smokers don't ever reach those levels, so you don't have to worry about that. Plus your body can actually become tolerant to the negative effects and hormone levels will return to normal.

Another concern is emphysema. If you smoke cigarettes (which I hope you don't do if you are really serious about lifting weights) you may not have enough oxygen to get through your workouts. Luckily, marijuana does not act on the small parts of your lung like cigarette smoke does, and therefore does not seem to cause emphysema.

I wonder what I was gonna write about that required me to do it after school, because it would be so lengthy?

Oh well. :p

I was researching marijuana and bodybuilding and it makes me laugh what some of these sites say about it. As you can imagine, they are spitting out myths about pot.

So, to pretty much say what everyone else has, no it will not have a negative effect on building muscle.

BUT, if you smoke so much that you have a harder time breathing doing strenuous activities, I would recommend cutting back. That doesn't help bodybuilding at all.

techno_trancer, if you still do workout, and are trying to put on mass, you really shouldn't work out more than an hour. This explains why.
    And PhreshwaterFunk, no, your muscles aren't going to be stronger if you are high when you work out. Your muscles grow (and become stronger) when you sleep. Working out at the gym simply stimulates growth. Maybe you might think you're stronger when you're high. That can have a positive effect when you lift. If you go into a workout with bad thoughts such as "I'm gonna have a crappy lift today," you're gonna have a crappy lift.

So you can try working out high and see if it benefits you.

Heh, I suffer from having a crappy diet sometimes too st0ner421.

Got a question for ya soybomb. What do you eat for breakfast? I need to eat something different. Thanks.
  8. beats beats

• Since: Jan 11, 2003
    Bigger muscles come from tiny tears in the muscle, which heal while you sleep, making them bigger.

A good breakfast is Just Right, or Vector, I eat those when I have enough time and they are really good for you.

Working out when you high can help you get going because of the increase in blood pressure, but try not to totally over-do it if you don't have such a strong heart...you might have a heart-attack (un-likely but hey..):rolleyes:

I still get pretty big muscles, although not as big as I wish...sometimes I forget to work out.:(
  9. st0ner421 st0ner421

so if your muscles grow when you sleep, is it best to workout for an hour in the morning or before bed? I usually lift for an hour, smoke for 30 min, ps2 for 30 min..then bed. is that alright for growth?
  10. CheebaMonkey CheebaMonkey

You can work out whenever you like st0ner421. Just try to get 8 hours of sleep.
  11. techno_trancer techno_trancer

• Since: Oct 19, 2001
    Hey thanks for the info CheebaMonkey, when we usualy went to the gym we would spend approximenly 1-2 hours there, not lifting the whole time ofcourse, i would usualy take a 10 min breather after focusing on my arms and chest, then i would spend a little time with my legs then back to bench pressing and arm curls. that was last summer tho and know i only work out maybe 2-3 times a week if that for about half an hour to 45mins, but since then i have definetly noticed muscle growth paticularly my forearms and biceps and triceps. just what the chicks dig, bigger arms! :p
  12. turbodude turbodude

• Since: Apr 19, 2002
    age may also be a factor. i am now 47 and still enjoy a toke whenever i can. when i was a young college dude, i don't remember having muscle fatigue from pot, but now that i am an old guy, pot really increases my muscle fatigue when pumping iron or hiking. i tried smoking about 4 or 5 hours before going to the gym and had lots of pain from muscle fatigue, maybe caused by lack of oxygen. next week without smoke, not nearly as much pain from muscle fatigue. sometimes i am amazed how much better it feels without pot. i had similar experience with hiking in the mountains. i had much more pain from muscle fatigue when i smoked. i actually had to lay on my back to rest because i was hurting so bad. without pot had hardly any muscle fatigue. my best guess is lungs work better when young, meaning you get more oxygen to your muscles when you are young.

however, i want to add a story that pot can improve your golf game and possibly reduce insomnia. last week i took a couple of tokes after 2 weeks without. excellent buzz motivated me to play golf. the previous day (before toke) i could barely hit the ball, but after the toke i was playing golf like the pros, about 3 or 4 pars. i consider myself lucky if i get 1 par hole. that night i slept like a baby for about 7 hours. i usually only get 4 or 5 hours if i am lucky. also slept good for next 2 or 3 days, but insomnia started to come back. i can't smoke for the next month or so because i am scheduled to go offshore (oil platform) and subject to random drug test. will keep you posted on my "research".
  13. bishop420 bishop420

• Since: Jul 24, 2005
    marijuana effects my weight lifting.....not physically but mentally, if i smoke pot all day im really tired and cant wake up in the morning to go to the gym.