marijuana essay/speech thing

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by pinkcrush72, May 8, 2006.

1. pinkcrush72 pinkcrush72

• Since: Mar 7, 2006
    hey all, i have to write an essay about marijuana and read it like a speech infront of my whole school and i wanted to get ur guys opinion on how it is so far. ive got 2 of the 4 paragraphs and im hoping to get the last 2 finished and posted soon. let me know what you think :D

Weed... Grass... Pot. All the 'Reefer Madness' is over a drug called marijuana, which is obtained from dried and crumpled parts of the flowering hemp plant, Cannabis Sativa. Although kids are always taught to stay away from marijuana, they are exposed to it often. A child from the age of 10 to the age of 18 has easy access to this drug from dealers on a street corner or even from a friend at school. What kids are also exposed to are the bad aspects of marijuana. Schools and parents constantly exaggerate the few possibly dangers of marijuana. True, marijuana can be harmful in some cases, but they certainly do not overrule the helpful qualities. Marijuana is a practical plant that has the potential to become a treatment for glaucoma, chemotherapy-induced nausea, multiple sclerosis, and AIDS. Marijuana has a terrible reputation; however, it is not as bad as people may think and has great medicinal value.

The history of marijuana is often misconstrued. Parents and kids alike are educated that marijuana is a drug that is always bad no matter the situation. Being an illegal substance also pushes people to believe that marijuana is bad. In 1930 a new division in the Treasury Department was established: The Federal Bureau of Narcotics. And a man named Harry J. Anslinger had the chance to be appointed director. The ambitious Anslinger saw the job of director as a great occasion to make some money. Anslinger seized the opportunity and attempted to build his agency by illegalizing opiates and cocaine. When he later realized this would not be enough to get the division running he latched on to marijuana as well and it all led to The Marijuana Tax Act of 1937. A highly exaggerated concept is that marijuana is a gateway drug and that it will lead to experimentation with more dangerous drugs. The reality is that marijuana has no connection with any other hard or soft drugs. It is not the marijuana that may lead them to other drugs; it is their own choices that will really decide. Although, in few situations, it may result in experimentation with other drugs, many kids don't even think about trying other drugs after marijuana. The statement 'marijuana is a gateway drug' is just another myth to keep kids away from it.
  2. Bowlblaze Bowlblaze

• Banned
    • Since: Mar 11, 2002
    Sorry to be a grammar nazi but I am assuming you are sort of asking for that. You might want to vary your sentence structure a little, using longer sentences a bit more; it's easier to read that way and your writing appears more mature.
  3. As Indignant As Indignant

• Since: Sep 19, 2005
    yeah dude,
    its pretty cool

but make sure u include the other types of marijuana
    like Cannibas Indica...i also love to smoke that.
    there's another one that starts with an "r" but i have no idea how to spell it.
  4. Bowlblaze Bowlblaze

• Banned
    • Since: Mar 11, 2002
    Ruderalis. It barely contains any THC though.
  5. pinkcrush72 pinkcrush72

• Since: Mar 7, 2006
    alright, thanks guys. ill see if i can get those last few paragraphs up today.