marijuana for postpartum depression while breastfeeding

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by sunflower4208, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sunflower4208 sunflower4208

• Since: Feb 25, 2012
    I have a 5 week old baby boy. I feel like I am getting postpartum depression, not the psycho kind where women kill their kids, just feeling down and depressed. I am breastfeeding and this is a priority to me that I won't change. I have 3 options... use medical marijuana to help with the depression and residual pain from the csection, use prescription antidepressants and pain killers, or just deal with it. I will not give my baby formula. What do you think??
  2. claygooding claygooding

• DrugWarVeteran
    • Since: May 13, 2009
    I am not a doctor but I think it is hard to feel depressed when you are giggling and there are studies concerning cannabinoids and mothers milk/newborns having them from mothers that used marijuana during pregnancy,,none with ill effects and the babies had a higher survival rate than babies not exposed to cannabinoids :shrug:

Granny Storm Crow has the best source for studies and we have a partial list in Medicinal forum,Health Management sticky.
  3. Jonesey Jonesey

• Since: Mar 13, 2012
    I am also a breast feeding mom. I have a 4 week old and a 13 month old. With my first child I had no problem with postpartum or unhappiness of any kind but this time around I'm really feeling it. Immediately I just wasn't as happy. Not so much crying but I'm dealing with some serious anxiety. I am weighing my options right now about even going to see a doctor because I know what solution they will offer. I do not want any form of anti-depressants floating around in my body let alone in my baby. Following my delivery, my husband bought me some mj to help ease the pain and I noticed it helped relax those knots and nerves. No tears at all. No pressure or stress. I just had a feeling of ease which is nice every so often. Unfortunately as the weeks progressed I began feel more unhappy and anxious. Recognizing, realizing and admitting that I am suffering from postpartum was the biggest hump. Using marijuana to work through this so I can be a productive functioning mother for my two lil ones is pretty much a no brainer. My husband agrees. If two tokes off a joint is what I need to get my day started right then that is what I will do. I can not sit in doors laying in bed, bitching and crying over being unable to function well enough to get shopping or house work done. I know it doesn't affect my baby in any negative way. I would be more concerned about taking asprin, drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes while breast feeding. If I lived in a medical marijuana state I would apply for a card and try some other form of mj such as drops I could put in my tea or edibles. When it comes down to it you just have to do what feels right to you. I have two happy healthy babies and marijuana will not change this.:gleaf2:
  4. hhm13 hhm13

• Since: Apr 23, 2012
    I know this is late but I have a 3 month old and I am exclusively breastfeeding. I smoke when I get stressed out. I do this because it works and it's a hell of a lot better than perscriptions. Can you even take pain killers while breastfeeding? If you dont want to feed you baby formula (i dont either) then i dont think you would want all those chemicals passed to your baby.

I also dont think you should not take anything because being depressed all the isnt good for you or your child. Dont listen to everyone trying to make you feel bad for smoking. I think it's the best option.
  5. Azurion Azurion

• Since: Nov 7, 2011
  6. VapeGirl VapeGirl

• Since: May 15, 2012
    The best thing to do, is find a good functioning strain and then go join a community class like yoga or something. The mmj will give you the mood lift then being active will get your endorphins going. Viola...natures antidepressant. At least, that worked for me.
    Now I have a four year old and I still medicate. It makes me a more patient Mom. Then a few days ago the Green Stick vaporizer came into my life with the CBD version. I highly recommend a strain of high CBD/Low THC. The Low THC thing is important because if you get High CBD/High THC you will get couch lock and just want to sleep.

I hope it gets better for you!
  7. nicoledoula nicoledoula

• Since: Dec 1, 2012
    For future reference, for anyone expecting, one of the most beneficial ways to prevent and treat PPD is to use the nutrients stored in the placenta as a supplement. Placentophagy is a common treatment in many cultures and restores the nutrients taken from your body during pregnancy while supplementing the hormones your body is no longer are producing, preventing hormonal based mood shifts.

Many doula's, like myself, are offering encapsulation services where your placenta is dehydrated, dessicated and encapsulated into pills. The pills can be frozen and saved to alleviate menopausal symptoms as well.

Using marijuana is definitely better than the alternatives, formula or psychoactive prescription meds.