Marijuana, Meditation, and Mindfulness

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by CTophu, Jul 8, 2010.

1. CTophu CTophu

• Since: Apr 24, 2010
    I have begun my journey to becoming a present, mindful person. I wanted to know if any of you out there practice meditation or mindfulness and what kind of effects cannabis can have on your progress.

I would guess that sobriety is best for meditation, but cannabis is more of a spiritual drug.

So what do you think? Do you find that it helps or inhibits presentness and meditation?

Or does it have no effect at all?
    1 people like this.
  2. SpiralSpindle SpiralSpindle

• Since: Jan 15, 2009
    I tend to find that I think too much when I'm high. So it can interfere with my meditation. Although sometimes with the right buds, I can reach some very relaxing states.

Coming down though, I can meditate very well. But sometimes if I've been too high I'll end up just falling asleep.

I don't meditate tooooo often, so don't quote me on this, it's just how it's happened with me. I know pot can hinder lucid dreaming or regular dreaming, but I'm not sure direct effects on meditation though.
  3. mikeyskywalker mikeyskywalker

• Since: Jul 6, 2010
    Marijuana helps me be in the present moment, yes. I think that's what is so great about it. It seems to slow down processing so that you don't think about the past or future as much. I actually do believe that in order to enjoy things to their maximum potential, you must be in the present. Maybe that is why marijuana makes music so good? Because you're in the present moment and that's all that matters. I have yet to get into meditation though--I really want to try it out.
  4. CTophu CTophu

It's really easy to meditate! Check it out on google.... and here's a nice video I came across. It's long, but that's because there's some guided meditation involved.

Here:

I agree with the music comment, though. I find I can dance a lot better after smoking too. I can 'feel' the music better =]
  5. Shellshock Shellshock

• Subscriber
    • Since: Oct 16, 2009
    I think too much to meditate, it has just never worked for me. I try to clear my mind but it's very difficult for me. This is the reason I can't sleep too, just have way too much on my mind at one time to be relaxed enough to fall asleep. Weed helps just enough to allow me to fall asleep, but I doubt i'd be able to meditate even if I was high.
  6. CTophu CTophu

Everyone can meditate. Some people think that because their minds are unruly that they will be 'bad' at meditating or something. This is just the nature of the mind, as it is for everybody who begins delving into their minds.

The biggest thing to remember is to not have a purpose for doing it -- you can't be trying, because then you're not relaxed. Simply do it for fun : )

I'm basically just quoting that video, I recommend you check it out, especially if you say you have constant thoughts -- sounds like you could really benefit from it.
  7. Shellshock Shellshock

• Subscriber
    Man you can't really say that without being inside my own mind. I might be able to if someone else was to assist me, like a hypnotist or something like that... but you never know. Shutting my brain off is a very difficult task, and you are very right that having to "try" will hinder your progress, but that's exactly the thing that holds me back. I have a bit of a doubtful personality, and it's things like these that generally hold me back from activities like meditating. I'd love to be able to just not try, but that's what makes it so hard. Without trying, my brain is constantly moving. I can slow it down, but very very seldom just experience a considerably serene experience. That saying "it's all in your head" is exactly right, but it still doesn't mean just everybody can do meditation.
  8. LonerStoner LonerStoner

• Peace, Love, and Pot!
    • Since: May 28, 2010
    Clearing your mind is more a medium for relaxation. If you have trouble clearing your mind, focus on cultivating deeper and deeper thought instead. If you're still aiming for the relaxation aspect, you could try focusing on something and try to only think about the something, for example an object in the room. Try to quite the other thoughts that try to intrude.
  9. CTophu CTophu

Never say never, friend. Meditation isn't some superhuman feat, and neither are you less capable of clearing your mind as anyone could be less capable of having a very busy and clouded mind.

As a matter of fact, meditation is for people just like you. Nobody expects you to become a zen master after sitting down for 20 minutes. Take it step by step =]

The easiest way to start is basically what the above poster suggested -- try focusing on your breathe without trying to control it. Don't push or pull, just “feature” it and fell the sensations in your nose and abdomen.
  10. jacjak jacjak

• Since: Jul 29, 2009
    Ive recently started meditating and i think a lot also. It usually takes me an hour to fall asleep just because i cant stop thinking. Ive only been meditating for a week and i still think constantly but i have improved slightly and in a few more weeks i believe ill start getting pretty good at it. It is going to be very hard at first, iv'e given up many times in the past when i started meditating but this time i'm staying persistent because there are so many benefits you can gain from meditating. Also what i'm doing now is, i got some music specifically for meditating, so i play a song to get relaxed and then stop it after 5-10 minutes and continue meditating in silence and that seems to help.
  11. Shellshock Shellshock

• Subscriber
    I will one day try, I just have a doubtful personality which makes it tough. I know we should all have that "believe everything" type of personality but in my experience that can go against reality... I shall try one day. Even if I don't succeed, i'm pretty content about the way my life is so I won't concern myself with it too much. If it's not an interest for me, me being persistent will probably not work out for too long haha.