Marijuana Nation

Discussion in 'Legalization/Decriminalization' started by Dharma_Bum, Nov 28, 2008.

1. ohganja420 ohganja420

• Since: Oct 11, 2008
    it was pretty decent. god those gov't guys were starting to bug me though, but whatever. and man that emery guy is quite annoyingg, but good lord all that weed looked so delicious
    i wonder if lisa tokes up, thatd be awesome
  2. kcbennie kcbennie

• Since: Oct 11, 2006
    While it's always nice to see weed being smoked and grown on tv, I could've done without the ONDCP talking points, like "not the same weed as the sixties, skunk is strong enough to cause schizophrenia, outdoor growers are using toxic fertilizers that pollute the forest. While people like us have heard all of this bullshit before and see right thru it, non-smokers. like my wife hear Lisa Ling spout off statistics in a serious tone and take them as factual. I thought it was a little "Reefer Madness." Nat Geo missed the boat, they could've use the two show before the weed show to shine a light on what a waste of resources fighting cannabis is.
    3 people like this.
  3. LowRider LowRider

• Since: Jun 20, 2008

You sorta hit it on the head for me. But i think you forgot they really didn't go into any myths or truths. Except the medical part. I think they should have spent more time on this and disputed the myths and truths.
  4. jpbc99 jpbc99

• Since: Mar 25, 2007
    national geographic promote marijuana use? yea right. i told you all you were gonna get was refer madness.

the pot is stronger now than it was when i used. aged old do as i say, not as i do bs. in order for pot to even work it has to be 1% or more. so if they werent getting high in the sixties, then what were they doing?

how about hash...is the hash 1000 times more potent today than yestarday. i wanna say it was alright or that i am disapointed. but i wont.

and whats up wtih this marc emery? do people really think he invented pot or something? he aint the only one in canada growing marijuana. lmao.

anyway...gnite. we all know the truth. pot is less harmful than coffee.
  5. MattyBlunts117 MattyBlunts117

• Since: Dec 1, 2008
    what website was that they were lookin at while they were talkin about the seeds...ive been there before but i forgot the name of the site
  6. ADIDAS ADIDAS

• Represent. KY
    • Since: Sep 6, 2005
    Watched it. I found it pretty good, not too negative. There were some obvious misleading points as others have posted, especially with potency. But still, Ill take what I can get. They got the word out that it does have medicinal value, and that is a big talking point.

Also, when the hot asian reporter was sitting with Emery, she asked is him talking so fast was "tripping them out" hahahahahahhaahahahahahaha.
    2 people like this.
  7. stonedK1982 stonedK1982

• Since: Sep 7, 2008
    Hey does anyone know where I can find this full video online? I'd love to see it.
  8. marcusJay marcusJay

• Since: Nov 2, 2008
    Not to be his defender or anything like that, but the segment with him in it was filmed in Canada and he has done a lot for MJ reform in Canada. Can you point to anyone in the US with the same amount of visability and success as Emery has had in Canada?
    Just saying......:shrug:
  9. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    • Since: Dec 8, 2004
    IMO, he does a lot of things just to piss people off, and IMO, that does nothing to really help legalization. He certainly isn't helping here in the U.S. :shrug:
    2 people like this.
  10. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    Repeat this Saturday

National Geographic will be repeating this program this Saturday, December 6th, at 7PM est. If you missed it, maybe you can catch it this time, or set your DVR. :)

I tried to find the whole program online, but no luck.
    1 people like this.
  11. Neko150 Neko150

• Since: Oct 9, 2008
    Sounds like it was decent, not as pro-pot as some would've liked, but there ya go. I wouldn't really expect a huge network to be that pro-pot, considering how many conservative viewers they need to cater to (it's unfortunate, but if they had been too liberal with the message, it would've likely turned many people off to the program).

I'm out of the country until Christmas, I really hope it will be posted in its entirety online somewhere.
  12. Rossaroni Rossaroni

• Since: Nov 30, 2008
    I wasn't too thrilled with the documentary's general tone. There were a lot of misleading statements, and a couple of times my roommate and I got angry because of them. I didn't get why they focused so much on some stuff, like the guy with the huge outdoor grow op. Yeah, it was cool seeing it, but what were they even trying to show with it?

In my opinion it was kind of a "bad" documentary, but I bet a lot of the network execs that had to give the go-ahead got in a few edits of their own, as is typical with anything.

I don't know about you guys, but it looked like to me they tried to cut Mark Emery's bit to give him a bad image. When she asked about his fast talking I sat up and wondered, "why the heck did they show us that?" (Really, why did they?) I wanted to hear a little more coherency in that entire bit, it felt like it jumped around too much. (And a really smart creative person could have cut it that way on purpose to make Emery look bad.)

I noticed that the one rally they filmed where Emery and some other people were speaking was the exact same one the makers of The Union filmed. (Look for the big black poster with a skull smoking a joint that says "decriminalize".)

Overall, though, any press is good press. I'm happy with the result since they didn't come out totally anti-pot. There are obviously more compelling and "better" things to look at when investigating marijuana, but this wasn't too bad.
    1 people like this.
  13. Freedom_User Freedom_User

• ....Is really high
    • Since: Mar 15, 2008
    I thought it was really good. There was some that I thought was misleading. But it got a really good point across for our cause.

I really thought it was absolutely great. You see a single old man, that turned a huge space into a high tech grow room. At the end, she says this is a very small glimpse into the future at what company's would look like if legalized. As to the grow ops in the California. It basically pointed out the fact that people take advantage of the black market to make huge profit. But in other parts of the world where they are allowed to grow, it's a highly skilled art form with huge amounts of passion. To top it off with 200m smokers around the world.
  14. Ianfagerstrom Ianfagerstrom

• Since: Nov 18, 2008
    National Geographic Explorer: Marijuana Nation

Did anyone else watch this special?

I think it's a good thing every time something like this comes on TV. More facts to educate the public. It will help diminish the taboo.
  15. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
  16. Dharma_Bum Dharma_Bum

• Since: Sep 1, 2008

Ah, I'm sorry!
    I should've thought to check the movie forum. Must've had a brain fart.
  17. Dharma_Bum Dharma_Bum

• Since: Sep 1, 2008
    Great point. He reminds me of Jello Biafra. I seriously seriously doubt the average public will take to kindly to a man wanting to single handly destroy the DEA by planting millions of Cannabis plants. That sounds like its right out of a DARE handbook.
    1 people like this.
  18. blondie0420 blondie0420

• Locks of Gold
    • Since: Sep 1, 2005
    Wow, have I really not been here since Tuesday? I meant to come post about this earlier, but...

Prior to watching this, I was saying things like, "I hope it's not too pro-pot, because then people (ie. conservatives) won't believe it." Well, after having seen it on Tuesday night, I can definitely say it was not too pro-pot.

I agree with other posters that the tone of the message was, at times, quite negative. The bits about the potency of marijuana increasing over the years had me yelling to the tv, "Yeah, that's why people smoke less!" But I think that Lisa Ling failed to make that point. When my dad was a teenager, people would smoke huge spliffs in a single session because the marijuana was far less potent. Now, a lot of modern smokers will consume far less in one session (less than half of a GRAM at times) to get them high. I felt like Ling could have thrown that bit in there - that, yes, marijuana is more potent, but at the same time you have to realize that this enables people to smoke far less at a time. It's not like we're all rolling up huge spliffs like they did in the '70s and reaching some sort of super-high with our ultra-potent marijuana strains.

I also thought the part where they showed the guy with the huge indoor grow op was troubling. I mean, yes, the point was to show what marijuana growing operations could someday become, but I thought that point was overshadowed by the fact that the guy kept saying, "This is all for just three people." (In Canada, he was licensed to grow medical marijuana for up to three users.) Any idiot watching that show would have seen that the amount he was growing was far more than three consumers would ever need. So that was...annoying.

The bit about Marc Emery was both positive and negative, at times. I liked that he spoke about how much money he has donated to the anti-prohibition movement and how he dispelled rumors about getting rich selling seeds by detailing some of his philanthropic work. It made him seem a little selfless and like he was doing what he does because it's the right thing to do. That was nice. I also liked that they showed his store and that he was encouraging people to "steal" his ideas and open up similar stores elsewhere. Again, it seemed selfless. Finally, I liked that he talked about how he was one of the U.S.'s "most wanted" - because, to be perfectly honest, he's a pretty harmless guy and I thought the documentary portrayed him as such. The "most wanted" list usually contains names like Osama bin Laden and the guys who carried out 9/11...for Marc Emery to be grouped with those truly dangerous and evil human beings shows a lot about our country's priorities when it comes to catching the "bad" (?) guys.

The part I didn't like about Marc Emery's role in the documentary was that they showed him smoking weed at work. I truly believe that smoking marijuana at work and getting high is NOT helpful to the legalization movement. People have worried about cannabis consumers become lazy, lethargic and a drain on society. It's far better to portray us in a vein similar to the business execs who go out for a martini after work to unwind (rather than the ones who keep a bottle in their desk).

Plus, even my dad noticed that Marc Emery's eyes were droopy and that he looked like a guy who has been getting high 24/7 for the past "x" amount of years. That certainly doesn't go far in showing people that not all people who smoke marijuana look like burnouts...like, take for instance, me and the majority of the people here. ;)

I thought they made a fairly convincing case for medicinal marijuana, though. I thought that was probably one of the best parts about this whole thing.
    2 people like this.
  19. Herbania Herbania

• Don't fear the reefer
    • Since: Sep 8, 2006
    I was a bit disappointed. I thought Lisa Ling would be a bit more fair. She doesn't have final say on the show, at least I don't think she does. Since Murdoch took over NG and History channel they've become the biblical prophesy/UFO/monster channels. I think a bit had to do with editing. If it was edited a bit different and remove a few remarks and it would have been fairer. Marc Emory did look baked as hell and probably didn't help much... sigh...
    1 people like this.
  20. Ianfagerstrom Ianfagerstrom

• Since: Nov 18, 2008
    I liked the part where she squeezes the bud, and then goes "oh wow, it's really sticky"

Made me laugh.