Marijuana's effects on lungs

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by High4LifeRaStA, Apr 15, 2008.

1. High4LifeRaStA High4LifeRaStA

• Since: Apr 15, 2008
    Out of curiosity, how much do you think it would take to affect your lungs to the point where it would affect your athletic performance? Im really into sports (football especially) and im trying to get a scholarship, maybe even be in the NFL someday... :) But thats besides the point, I LOVE marijuana, all of my friends do it, I party every weekend and theres always marijuana at parties and also I sell it and cant help but smoke some of it..
    [MOD NOTE: Discussion of selling drugs is not allowed here, even a comment in passing such as this.]
    so yeah.. I dont want to ruin my chances of playing football just because I want to have fun while im a kid smoking marijuana, will it mess me up that bad eventually? I smoke it like 3 times a week, maybe more, probobly about 7 grams a week(sometimes its alot more, 7 being minimum)?
  2. hermosthigh hermosthigh

• Since: Mar 31, 2008
    I certainly cannot offer a medical opinion - but can provide this anecdotal insight. I am 54 and have been smoking everyday for almost 30 years. My lungs are fine. I still bike, hike and chase grandkids, but I was never a professional athlete. Though I have remained very active physically and maintained some form of fitness program (gym, weights, running etc) most of my life. Good luck with your future!!

HMH
    1 people like this.
  3. ADIDAS ADIDAS

• Represent. KY
    • Since: Sep 6, 2005
    Just stay away from blunts and youll be fine.
  4. High4LifeRaStA High4LifeRaStA

• Since: Apr 15, 2008
    Thank you so much, I will definatly take both of your advice to heart. Id rather not consult a doctor about it and thats why I came on here, just because my doctor is a close family friend and my parents wouldnt like him knowing. :) Now I can smoke in peace without worrying about it killing my lungs over the course of the next few years of my life haha.
  5. sterbo sterbo

• sailor dog...
    • Since: Feb 10, 2007
    I wouldn't go so far as to say that.
    Especially if you expect to compete on the level of the NFL. It is such an individual thing, how smoking or anything really, affects us.

I'll offer up two thoughts.
    - Pay close attention to your body. Anyone, especially one who is constantly into sports and physical activity, should be able to tell if smoking pot starts to be problematic.
    - Buy a vaporizer. There is a huge amount of excellent information here about both their attributes and the pros and cons of what the current market offers. Do a quick 'search' and check it out.

I am, and have always been extremely active in sports etc. and vaporizers have been a godsend... ;)
  6. macphearsome macphearsome

• Since: Sep 17, 2002
    my friend is a long distance runner and he stopped smoking weed to improve his cardio.

sometimes you need to make sacrifices. sometimes you don't have to. Personally, I've never noticed any cardio problems from smoking weed. I'm sure they exist; it's completely silly to expect that burning plant matter won't damage your lungs. But what's the extent? I really don't know.

Try vaping or eating; that's a happy medium :thumb:
  7. devilslettuce devilslettuce

• Since: Apr 14, 2008
    I consider myself pretty athletic..i'm an avid gym goer as in lifting and cardio. I play basketball and baseball as well. Smoking too much weed has definitely affected me somewhat. I do get the occasional chest pain and shortness a breath, but I get stoned and then go to the gym and love ever second of it.. If you're smoking phat blunts all day long every day than I would imagine you'd be hurting a lot more.
  8. Doc Mitch Doc Mitch

• Since: Apr 5, 2008
    i used to swim long distance, and i had to quit smoking during the season just to make it through. people are different though. i can notice a decrease in my cardio ability after a weekend of heavy smoking.
  9. TheFamous1 TheFamous1

• Since: Mar 16, 2008
    Smoke isn't supposed to be in your lungs so it's going to damage them regardless. Marijuana, Cigarettes - whatever. But if you don't do it too often you should be fine. Usually it's after years and years of smoking something is when people start to see problems.

Smoke Responsibly is my motto!
  10. ADIDAS ADIDAS

• Represent. KY
    • Since: Sep 6, 2005
    Oh yea, if you are realllly serious about your health and lungs, buying a vaporizer would be one of your best investments. Its completely takes out the health issues, allowing you to still enjoy your bud. I notice no difference in my lung capacity, coughing, or breathing from when I was in high school, til now. Thats 3 years of smoking, daily, and my physical performance has only gotten better. Im not implying that weed made me more athletic, just stating that it has not inhibited me in any way.