marinol detection vs the plain old detection of the usually-detectable metabolites??

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by TylerDurden, Apr 3, 2005.

1. TylerDurden TylerDurden

• Since: Apr 3, 2003
    hey all, how the hell are ya??? long time no post, huh?

..ive gone thru a buncha personal trials and tribulations..you know, the usual.

anyway im back, and ive recently been advised to study for an unsupervised urine test in order to maintain employment at a fairly decent company that i seem to have become employed by...hmm..

yeah..on to my question, which is directed to those with more extensive knowledge of the ins-and-outs of the testing procedures than i myself possess..

i have recently been advised by one of my healthcare professionals that Marinol is seperately detectable in a urine test, able to be distinguished from your ordinary, run-of-the-mill marijuana metabolites...i DO have an actual prescription..but i smoke on top of it..and until now ive counted on one THC being the same as another THC..ya know?

if this is the case, and happens to be true, one of my biggest alibis could be rendered ineffective if anyone decides to look any harder than usual..and that could be really, really bad.

has anyone heard anything about this?

thank you in advance for your input.

--Tyler
  2. TylerDurden TylerDurden

um..got a few views so far..? nada?

nothing, huh?

i couldnt find anything in my searches, ...still maintaining hope that someone can hook a honky up with some knowledge..

word.

heh.

:)
  3. Locutus Locutus

• Since: Nov 4, 2004
  4. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    The only information I have -- is that both THC metaboliotes from marinol and from Cannabis show up as ...THC metabolites.

If they do an assay for other cannabinoids though, you are busted as Marinol contains only the THC anolog found in drenobinol.

Wish I could help more but I can't. It depends really on which test they give you. And if you tell them you are on Marinol, they may pop for the more expensive full assay.

Sorry for the downer... Good to see you though!

Hugz,

Mama Budz
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    THC is THC and there's no way to distinguish metabolites of marijuana THC and Marinol THC. I've never heard of a test for other cannabinoids, except when they're analyzing plant material. I suspect the break-down products of other cannabinoids would be indistinguishable from those of THC.

If you tell the testers that you're on Marinol you'd better be prepared to back it up with prescription records from your pharmacy. They wouldn't accept it just on your say-so.
  6. Wizard1 Wizard1

• Since: Mar 27, 2004
    Incorrect Sir.
    There IS a molecular difference between Marinol, and Marijuanna.
    I do believe either will show positive on the emmit, but, with the GC they can tell if it was marijuanna, or Marinol.
    I actually asked Mamabuds bout this like a year ago, but kept researching (anal bastard that I am) and found some interesting studies done on this.
    I'm sure I could find these studies again if I try, and, I will post links to them .
    Wizard
  7. Wizard1 Wizard1

THC-COOH and THCV-COOH

If tested for the latter..........THCV-COOH this would indicate a person had ingested marijuanna in some form..
    If one is taking Marinol, THCV-COOH would NOT be found in ones urine.
    Only THC-COOH

There IS a small...........but detectable...........molecular difference between the two.

Chemistry class will comence after evening bong break... :laugh:
  8. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Neither would be found in your urine because the tests are not for THC. They're for THC metabolites. I'm not a chemist and have no way of knowing if the two forms break down differently.
  9. S2 S2

• Just another bonehead
    • Since: Dec 30, 2000
    Yeah, the labs can disctiguish between marinol and pot now.

Actually in 1999 this issue came up in the Todd McCormick case, the Govt spent like $17,000 USD on tests to try to prove testing COULD distinguish between marinol metabolites and those in marijuana and it was dedide that the test could not make such a distinction and McCormick prevailed:

Then in 2001 the labs figured out how to do it:
    HOwever, this test would only be used in a court case or achallange to apositve test- the labs DO NOT use the marinol distiguishing test as part of routine drug screening. It ouwld be something run if you challanged the results and in that case, the use of marijuana would be able to be proved
  10. Wizard1 Wizard1

Uhmmm thanks.....I didn't say THC..........I said THCV-COOH.
    And that is a metabolite. Derived from injestion of marijuanna. And it will not be present in a person who only injests Marinol.
  11. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    ...that C1 O2 H1 ...demonstrates the metabolizing of the THC by the addition of a carbon ring .....ahhh...the days of Organic Chemistry...so long ago and yet still a Nightmare I relive even to this very day :rolleyes:

...have a cookie Wizard1...you earned it ;)
  12. Wizard1 Wizard1

Thanks Mama!!!
    Nice to see some of the more intelligent folks filling in the blanks on this thread..
    (excluding myself.......of course) :)
    Hope this helps the person who posted the question.
  13. TylerDurden TylerDurden

hey everyone, thank you for your input!

one more quuestion..

any idea what the differences between THCC and 11-hydroxy-DTHC are?

i found a site that stated that MJ breaks down to THCC and that marinol turns to 11-hydroxyDTHC..?

what does it all mean??? (spoken in an overly-incredulous tone)

any ideas?