Marinol prescription?

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by Charles03, Jan 25, 2007.

1. Charles03 Charles03

• Since: Jan 25, 2007
    I was wondering if there's any way to find out which doctors can prescribe marinol (the pill form of marijuana). I suffer from anxiety and as a result suffer from nasuea and lack of appetite. My psychiatrist doesn't have the authorization to prescribe Marinol and I don't know where else to turn to. I live in the Los Angeles, CA and Orange County areas. If someone knows of a doctor/psychiatrist in those areas that can prescribe Marinol I would greatly appreciate it.
  2. Frojoe Frojoe

• Since: May 2, 2006
    Not sure but I think norml has a list of doctors that prescribe medical marijuana. Might not include marinol though.
  3. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Your shrink is bullshitting you. Any physician can prescribe any drug. Marinol would be contraindicated for someone with an anxiety disorder since THC is known to trigger anxiety and panic attacks. Doctors are concerned about writing prescriptions that might be interpreted as supplying drugs for recreational purposes.
  4. Migz420 Migz420

• Subscriber
    • Since: Jan 21, 2005
    I was paralyzed in a car accident back in 98'. I asked my physician about a marinol prescription. She laughed at me and said it would work better and probably be cheaper just to smoke pot.
  5. Satori Taima Satori Taima

• Since: Feb 5, 2007
    She would be right. Marinol is a poor synthetic substitute for real cannabis, and lacks all the cannabinoids that provide medicinal benefits. Many patients complain that it takes higher dosages and a longer period of time to achieve the same natural effect. I would recommend Sativex, which has shown promising results in patients suffering from pain, but I believe it is still in clinical trials by the FDA and currently unavailable in the US.

My advice would be vaporizing, the best and safest method for medical marijuana patients.
    1 people like this.
  6. jjj jjj

• Since: Jun 21, 2011
    I see a response by Satori Taima, who is apparently NOT a doctor. My advice, don't listen to anyone without a MD, they simply are not qualified to give medical advice. There is an awesome doctor in San Diego who advertises Marinol prescriptions. He is a Harvard/UCLA graduate. Ask him not us.

Simply perform an Internet search for "marinol prescription san diego" and you will find the doctor. He is awesome. GOOD LUCK.
  7. Phenom Phenom

• Banned
    • Since: Jul 29, 2010
    Marinol is definitely not the drug for helping your anxiety. It is only THC, the anxiety and pain relieving aspects of cannabis are from other cannabinoids such as CBD, CBC, CBN which do not exist in marinol, just in good ol' mary jane.
    1 people like this.
  8. Kushy Kushy

• down
    • Since: May 2, 2009
    The doctor in the white lab coat knows all. And apparently you need to be a doctor in order to know that vaporizing the natural cannabis plant is better than taking a synthetic replica of ONE of the 70+components of the natural plant.

There is a ton of evidence that THC by itself can cause anxiety and overstimulate you. The other components like CBD negate the harsh effects of it while also playing their own role.
  9. TastyBongWater TastyBongWater

• Since: Jan 16, 2010
    like Satori Taima (above) i am another vaporizing advocate! it is a world better medicinally and recreationally to vaporize.. I recently quite smoking all together and have noticed even more benefits from that.. including being able to taste like I did before.. didnt know i fucked up my taste ability that much by smoking...
  10. Bud Is good Bud Is good

• Resident non smoker
    • Since: Jul 15, 2009
    Overly ecpensive for a pill..Mise well go with the real thing and be careful about it..
  11. Dr. Sensible Dr. Sensible

• Since: Jun 19, 2012
    Since this is what topped google when I searched on the subject "Marinol for Anxiety", I can assume that a lot of people are coming here, looking for advice and reading...

I make no disclosure of how I have attained or experienced any knowledge that I base my opinions on. This writing is clearly based on certain assumptions that I am having to substitute, and insinuating or implying any other assumptions for the purpose of disproving anything written here is purely trite and a genuine misuse of the gift of time.

Kushy is on the right track and others have contributed some good, but balance must be brought to this thread.

The trouble is, we don't know anything about the person asking, the nature of their anxiety or their history and/or other illnesses.

So let’s do all we can and create our anonymous patient, map on a few things and unify the good and bad advice here, albeit, from people who only meant to help.

Let’s assume that the patient has a generally physically healthy life, (i.e, someone obese likely wouldn't be looking to medicate against the effects of loss of appetite and nausea) and that the underlying cause of the anxiety, is due to chemical imbalance of some type, resulting in a specific or generalized anxiety disorder, hence the referral to Psychiatry and no reason to believe that a true eating disorder exists.

Now we have a slightly better understanding of our patient.

Next, what is Marinol?

Essentially, Marinol or dronabinol (it’s un-bastardized name) is a synthetic preparation of THC, which is thought to be the primary psychoactive component present in the marijuana plant. It’s purity however, contrary to what has been stated, is entirely subjective and that needs to be addressed immediately.

From a medical/scientific perspective, dronabinol is a chemically sound compound or medicine designed to replicate the effects of some naturally occurring substances in a psychoactive plant, marijuana.

To a “pot smoker” or recreational user, or anyone in the admittedly pigeonholed “culture of pot” (of which I consider myself a member) it can represent a bastardization of something very important to them, something treated in an unnatural way, seemingly counter-intuitive to the origins of their ‘medicine’ of choice. However, those are philosophical views, and while being truly powerful, I can assure you there isn’t a shred of evidence that shows marinol to be inherently better or worse in it’s long or short term effects, than acquiring THC or any other cannabinoid you desire, from any source you wish.

Now, back to our patient.

Firstly, they may have never smoked anything in their life and may have no wish to.

Encouraging someone to ‘just smoke it’ is purely unhealthy and irresponsible.

There is nothing at all conceivable to imply that the daily inhalation of ANY crude combustion products, carries no risk or is inconsequential to your health and PLENTY of evidence to suggest the contrary.

Vaporization is clearly a 'safer', (safer then the worst, but certainly not safe) method of transmission. However, the straight dope is, your lungs were not designed to absorb drug as a vapor. Your lungs were designed to absorb the oxygen/nitrogen mix native to the planet as we know it, even oxygen, our life-blood, is toxic when unregulated. Whatever is absorbed through the interior of your lungs takes a direct path to your brain, avoiding your body's tailored warrior for all things awful, your liver. This is because, and call it crazy, the body isn’t expecting anything pesky like psychoactive substances to take the carefree highway to that oxygen hungry fella known as the human brain. These roads were made for oxygen, and that’s all they’re meant to do. This vapor also doesn't stay vapor forever, it turns back into something, all you vapor folk know this because if it didn't, you would never have to clean places where the vapor passes through, but you do, and it builds up a bit of a slimy, sticky mess. Something your lungs consider to be a complete dick.

And while it’s true that other cannabinoids do not exist in Marinol, there is no reason to suspect that the one present isn’t the one that could best be used to medicate this patient. Our patient tells us that their anxiety, wether an underlying cause, or in cyclical accordance with, is inseparably tied to loss of appetite and nausea. Based on that, is it out of the question that specifically treating the symptom of loss of appetite and nausea, using a drug federally approved for such a purpose, may not at a bare minimum, help us to shed some light on how to significantly improve the quality of life in this patient.

So the answer is that Marinol could be beneficial to this person, as it could be beneficial to anyone given the appropriate circumstances.

Will Marinol be of benefit to this person? That can only be explored by this person and their doctor.

My friends, the question isn’t wether or not marijuana has truly remarkable uses as a medicine anymore, it’s how do we map that on to our equally remarkable, modern medical world, safely and responsibly. This can only happen by appreciating and supporting the strides and progress being made. In addition, the only way to enact that change, is by the way of water onto rock, a slow, steady, powerful and yet gentle push for what we feel is right. Even the hardest of heads will give way, one wave at a time.

If we want the marijuana plant to be more seriously considered, WE have to consider it seriously.

All that being said, writing this broke my brain and I’m going to smoke a joint.

Peace, love, honour, hope and passion to you all,

Dr. Sensible