Meditation

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Robdidit, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Robdidit Robdidit

• Since: Sep 28, 2008
    Recently I have found that meditation is awesome. It is something that can completely change lives if used well, and also is the cornerstone of many eastern religions. I'm pretty sure that it is one of the keys to life, if there are any. What do you guys think, anyone here have any experience or know anything about mediation?
  2. Robdidit Robdidit

I was looking for something else to put in this thread and I came upon the foundation of human understanding, supposedly this meditation is life changing, but the man who runs it (Roy Masters) has been strongly criticized for his religious views, rightly so I believe, but that does not change the fact that his meditation is effective, Anyone looking to try out something that I thought was kinda cool should go to this website, keep in mind though, the meditation is the only thing worth while on the entire site. I would be interested in seeing what people think about it.

Be Still and Know - An Introduction to Stress Management
  3. FloodDaga7 FloodDaga7

• Since: Sep 21, 2009
    I've been strongly considering starting to practice transcendental meditation, but my ADHD is really making it impossible. Any suggestions?
  4. ganja-man ganja-man

• Groovy
    • Since: Sep 6, 2008
    Burn one?....helps me:shrug:

Other than that, just practice, eventually you will get the hang of it and you will be able to focus for longer periods of time.
  5. trichybud trichybud

• Since: Sep 4, 2009

The most important thing to get down when your starting TM is correct breathing. Concentrate on it until it becomes automatic and perhaps find a mantra that suits you. Just try to clear your mind, but if thoughts do come just observe them and let them pass without dwelling on anything for too long.

ADHD or no it takes practice, but I wish you luck!
  6. Robdidit Robdidit

Read up on this- ADHD, the Mind and the Transcendental Meditation technique - Meditation in general is said to be one of the best ways to "fix" problems with ADHD. I personally have ADHD and I know meditation can be a challenge, but that is part of the reason I became so interested in it. It is all about practice, and after even a couple days of it, you can feel the difference of your mind being slowed down and able to handle your surroundings with more focus. I know its different for everybody and it depends on the meditation that your doing, but from what I have read transcendental mediation is a very powerful technique.
  7. Dark Dark

• Fool on the Hill
    • Since: Jun 13, 2004
    Meditation helps a lot, at times. It's a way to bring your mind into a calm state.

Someone once described it to me as your mind being a pool of water. All your thoughts and emotions just create waves and make for choppy, hard to navigate conditions. But if you give it some time to settle, and you don't let outside forces wear on your state of being, the water becomes like a sheet of glass and you're able to go any direction you'd like in perfect conditions, without having to beat the waves and weather to get there.

Meditation is easy, but it's holding onto those thoughts after you finish which is where it gets tricky, for me at least. It's easy enough to put my mind at rest, but keeping it there is much more difficult.

I'm still trying. Practice makes perfect.
  8. Sevak Muni Sevak Muni

• Since: May 30, 2011
    Mantra Meditation combined with Marijuana was very dangerous for me

Hi,

I was a long time advocate and participant of meditation with marijuana, particulary mantra meditation. I almost killed somebody as a result.

I have been in Mental Hospitals numerous times and have a diagnosis of scitzophrenia. I believed the more one repeats a mantra the more my karma was being lessened.

I used to meditate pretty much all day long for years. It was great fun but little did I know I was hypnotising myself towards calamity.

I would reccomend a respected teacher when embarking on meditation. And meditate no more than 20 minuets a day. The mind tends to get bored if meditation is too long. A bored mind can be open to spirit possession or the mind.

Here is a good link on dangers of mantra meditation:

There is also a book out on the dangers of meditation on amazon.

Thanks,

Sevak Muni
  9. Le0n Le0n

• Since: Feb 17, 2010
    Meditation is fantastic but requiers guidence.

When Jesus went to India he learnt many traditions from the Hindi and as a result brought back with him meditation as a practice.
  10. superman420 superman420

• Since: May 17, 2011
    There is no evidence that he went to India.
  11. Le0n Le0n

There is evidence though it is contraversial.

An old book about this shows details called "Jesus in Kashmir" and a BBC Documentary if you're interested. Though it still is contraversial, the Hidden Years (or Lost Years) are debated.

I think the evidence is pretty compelling - have you read any of it? There is a nice video that I can recommend you if you like; Jesus in India with Paul Davis.
  12. superman420 superman420

If I saw a video saying Jesus was an Alien from outer space would that make it true?

http://jesuswasaspacealien.com/

Try not to be so gullible.
  13. mallitia95 mallitia95

• Sr. Tokemaster
    • Since: May 13, 2011
    hahaha you guys are so funny when you bicker, just go toke up and come back and you guys wont have any differences or reasons to argue.

And meditation is a great way for me to calm my self. But i find it very hard to think of nothing when i am sober. I also do hyperawareness meditation once in a while when I want to try something differen; have any of you tried this?
    1 people like this.
  14. Le0n Le0n

Sure...
  15. FreddyC FreddyC

• Pot is a better drug than alcohol. Fact!
    • Since: May 4, 2009
    If Jesus showed up in Missouri, I have no problem with him crusing India. Freddy
  16. Kushy Kushy

• down
    • Since: May 2, 2009
    Of course Jesus went to India. Why do you think there is a 17-year gap of his life that is undocumented. I've also read much of the evidence that Le0n is talking about.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicolas_Notovitch

Try not to be so close minded...

And I really don't think meditation will give you schizophrenia... If you do it all day then of course. Moderate it, like everything else!
  17. Keggers Keggers

• Since: Jun 6, 2011
    Can you all just stop arguing? Just have an open mind, and an open heart! One love bruddahs. Anyway, to get back on topic, I love meditation!
  18. superman420 superman420

Because he was most likely just hanging out at the temple and doing shit work for his "human" daddy. Thats probably the reality of it.
    But then MAYBE he got picked up by a UFO and was "Enhanced".

Try not to see things that aren't there. The most logical answer is probably the correct answer.

Of course not. But once you add some hardcore psychotropic drugs, then all bets are off.
  19. Le0n Le0n

+1 for Argument from Ignorance
    +5 for Not reading anything presented
    2 people like this.
  20. superman420 superman420

Oh I've read it, I just discount the material as being fabricated and not worth the paper its printed on. However, it does make for a good piece of fiction.
    Thats where you have trouble at...separating fact from fiction.