Melatonin and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by chronictruth, Apr 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chronictruth chronictruth

• Since: Mar 29, 2003
    I read on erowid that taking melatonin with marijuana make the experience a lot better. Has anyone tried this?
  2. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: Feb 24, 2003
    Not really more high, just more tired if anything.....marijuana increases the melatonin levels in the body by about 4,000% so taking melatonin pills will not exactly make a big difference. Melatonin is released in your body when it is time to sleep. You will probably get really tired.

<Of all the known ways to stimulate melatonin production, none is more dramatic than smoking marijuana. Marijuana stimulates production of a prostaglandin called PGE2, which may relate to its ability to stimulate melatonin production. Italian researchers discovered that when eight men smoked a cigarette containing the active ingredient in marijuana, THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), they had dramatically higher melatonin levels twenty minutes later. After two hours, their melatonin levels were 4,000 percent higher than at baseline!>

(Russel J. Reiter, Ph.D., Jo Robinson)
  3. chronictruth chronictruth

4. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    Ive read that post :). Ive pretty much read 90% of erowid info and experiences. That site is the greatest. They should create a Psychoactive Encyclopedia.
  5. chronictruth chronictruth

well after reading some of the information on it I decided to try it last night. I took 1mg and smoked about a gram. It had to be one of the most intense highs I have ever experienced. I dont know if it had to do with being more sleepy. Basically after I put the melatonin under my tongue ...then smoked out..waited about 10 or 15 minutes the onset was a lot sooner then usual....after that some weird **** started happening...

All the muscles in my body were super relaxed and twitchey..usually when I am very high this happens a little but it happened to such an extreme I was literally paralyzed haha....it felt good as hell though.....i also had some music on but it was as if i couldnt even hear it...i was in another world or something....during this time i got a little scared and i remember thinking for a second that maybe i took too much...

after i laid down it felt like i was floating and almost every pain..sore muscles etc etc in my body was all gone...it felt like someone was lifting me up ...

the high was different in that i wasnt thinking about anything...usually when i am high i am way introspective and seem above the world...well none of that happened...it felt more like all thoughts just left my head and all i could think of was how relaxed and good i felt....my mind was kinda blank...

after about 30 minutes i kinda lost control n stuff because i was kinda feeling all this pleasure run through my muscles and body ...so i kinda started moving around a little because it felt good...ne ways after all this i kinda decided to pass out ....if i stayed up the pleasure probably would have lasted longer..i woke up about 7 hours later and did not remember waking up during sleep once...like i usually do..when i woke up there was no real symptoms of what had happened...it felt like any other morning when i wake up...no after effects...

this may have been a fluke as this was the first time i have tried this but i will try it again and take more melatonin and smoke a little more and see what will happen next...

all i know is it was one of the best most intense highs i have ever had. i cant really compare it to one of the best highs i had because it was different....i wasnt really able to 'think' which maybe the melatonin plays a part in because it makes ur body relax and prepares your body for sleep.
  6. chronictruth chronictruth

"The fact that smoking marijuana is accompanied by a dramatic increase in melatonin production may explain some of the drug's positive effects. A 1995 article in The Journal of the American Medical Association reported that the hallucinogen is being used to counteract the toxicity of chemotherapy, treat migraines, reduce intraocular pressure, minimize pain, treat menstrual cramps, and moderate wasting syndrome in AIDS patients.(12) Melatonin has been shown to ameliorate each and every one of these conditions."

http://www.cures-not-wars.org/melajuana.html
  7. libertyNjustice libertyNjustice

• Since: Dec 16, 2002
    is melatonin one of the things in the body that has a finite amount. like seritonin, if you do x too much you might not save enough for when your'e older. that means you would be a cranky old person. actually, ill answer this myself. no. how could it be, you need to sleep your whole life, why would it only give you a certain amount. i'm posting anyways though, so suck it if you don't like it.;)
  8. chronictruth chronictruth

Well I tried taking a lot more melatonin, 3x more. When you take it in this high dose it more than just puts you to sleep. The dreams I experienced were so intense they were amazing. I actually felt like I was awake in the dreams and when I woke up in the morning I could remember every single detail of each dream I had and it felt like I almost had been through a big ordeal and my mind was really racing.

Overall taking a higher dose was very negative for me because of very intense negative dreams but when I smoke marijuana while taking the melatonin the dreams are not as easily remembered and not as intense.

Before I said taking melatonin while smoking marijuana made me feel much higher...but on second thought I don't really think that is what it is doing. I think what the melatonin does is makes me unable to control my thoughts before I pass out and become unable to stay up anymore. So I guess where some of the panic comes in near the time period right before the melatonin forces me to sleep....it makes you not think straight at all and you are in a mix of dream and real thought and we all know how weird dreams can be.
  9. hauptmann hauptmann

• Seasoned Activist
    Thats isnt what happens to you everynight?
  10. HappyMan HappyMan

• Subscriber
    • Since: Apr 13, 2001
    Thread Closed: Off Topics substance. Even if it legal.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.