Musicians and Jammers

Discussion in 'Music' started by VaporizorMariJ, Nov 18, 2008.

1. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

• Since: Dec 3, 2006
    So I just want to get an idea of how many people of our beloved Marijuana community enjoy having jam sessions with friends or alone after and while they get high?

I know in my case one of my favourite things to do after a good blaze, is to pickup the instruments and just hack away while making beautiful noise :p.

Im hoping that people will be interested in sharing their music no matter how amateur it may sound. With technology these days its so easy to just plug into the computer and record some sound. I encourage people to do so and share it with the community :).

I guess it all depends how many stoners out there are jammers. I hope I get atleast some results.

Happy Blazing!
    2 people like this.
  2. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

I guess I should probably start off by sharing some of my own amateur recordings, Iv been doing alot of instrumentals lately... nothing professional, just for shits and giggles.

Constructive criticism is appreciated. Here is some of my work. I recommend listening to Mellow Skemitic first. It's a trippy one I recorded just the other night after a good bake.

So I couldnt get it to embed on the forum but here is a link to a player with some of my recordings... I hope people enjoy

VaporizoMariJ's Recorded Jam's
    2 people like this.
  3. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

Im disappointed there isn't any musician enthusiasts in a forum full of stoners :(
  4. FunkySkunky FunkySkunky

• Gentille, allouette
    • Since: Dec 31, 2007
    I'm a jammer man haha. What's good!? You've got some sweet tone there! I don't ever record any full band set ups but I have some scribble tunes to show you haha. I play some guitar I'm looking for the song files now....

chalkdust.aif -- FileFactory.com - free file hosting --
    1 people like this.
  5. dirtbomb dirtbomb

• Hippie
    • Since: Sep 1, 2008
    Quite a few Musicians here, considering that it's an MJ discussion board. ;)
    I used to be in a few bands, but lately I've been stuck playing along to Records/CD's, or just doing strange flights of fancy of my own.
    Oh well.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Just heard the tracks, Vape.
    Excellent stuff. :)
    1 people like this.
  6. Killerchron Killerchron

• Get ya shine on
    • Since: Oct 10, 2006
    Good stuff you go there, man. I jam every now and then with a few guys I know, but nothing serious. I play guitar and sing btw.
    1 people like this.
  7. Lit_Match Lit_Match

• Since: Dec 14, 2003
    Been playing drums for 15 years, no audio samples though.

I like it all, hip hop, jazz, blues, rock, country, you name it.

My father has a track on his myspace that he wrote for his band here in Georgia.

MySpace.com - gil - 53 - Male - NORCROSS, Georgia - www.myspace.com/404260104, you can click play on the track right below his contact information (that's the old man looking cool with shades on).

His band's page is here (they just have the one song up now, but it should get updated with a few more soon), they have a few other tracks as well.

Music might as well run in the family as far as I'm concerned.
    1 people like this.
  8. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

I thought it was strange that there were no musicians/jammers, im glad I was wrong :)

I gave your chalkdust a listen Funky Skunk, I like the sounds of that song alot. It would sound extra good if you could directly record to the computer without using a mic.

Directly recording into the computer is the way to go. if u have a mixer thats even better. (I still have to get one). Although I do record anything i do accoustic with a mic.

Here is a youtube vid I did a little while ago of just accoustic

The song is a bit repeatative, I through it together last minute.
    Plus im not much of a singer unfortunatly I leave that to other people who actually have a nice voice :).

I actually don't have a band right now, I just record multiple tracks by myself to build little tunes. I often jam with friends and I used to play in a band... but with my job I have to do alot of traveling... so its pretty much just me, marijane, and my guitar.

Im actually done with all this traveling early next year so I can finally start playing music with others full time again :). My best friends girlfriend and I play alot of music together. She has such an amazing voice. Ill try to post a few of her songs up here.
    If only my girlfriend was musically inclined. She just likes to sit back get baked and listen :D

Here is another couple youtube videos of when I was about 18 which was 4 years ago... When I used to get drunk and jam with friends at my parents house haha.

Im the drunk tall skinny guy haha
    1 people like this.
  9. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

Lit_Match... Man I wish my parents were musically inclined. Thats one thing that iv never had... My whole family are really good at painting and drawing but none of them can play music. I used to try and draw when I was younger but I really sucked.

Your dads tune put a smile on my face, crazy singer :)

So thats when I decided to try out a different kind of art.

Here is the link to my reverbnation.com profile. the other link doesnt seem to make any new songs I upload available, but this one will.
    1 people like this.
  10. smarten-up smarten-up

• Since: Nov 4, 2008
    ahaha nice bro your shreadin in that last video. I jam out almost every weekend with my brothter and a few friends but nothing like that. I mean its mostly just me and another guy playin the guitar with the others singing. Its still fun as hell though. Last saturday we were all like freestyling to it, I wish I had that shit on video bro, it was friggin hilarious. Afterwards we hit the bar and did some kareioke ahaha, some of that I acctually have on video, Ill see if I can find it.
    1 people like this.
  11. zuberfde zuberfde

• Since: Jun 24, 2008
    I like to play upright bass at jams, to change it up a bit. Upright is also really fun to play while high cause it's such a physical instrument.
  12. Everlong2019 Everlong2019

• Since: Aug 25, 2008
    So im a freshman, i sing and im slowly gettin better at guitar but my band is just a little highschool band, were trying to write our own music and we got a new drummer recently. My uncle is in the band The Dogs (they just toured in tokyo like last december but their not that popular int he US i dont think) but me and my dad have similiar music tastes. Sometimes me and my friend (the bassist of the band) just get high and play some acoustic guitar together haha and its pretty chill.
  13. macphearsome macphearsome

• Since: Sep 17, 2002
    I'm a decent piano player and I used to play the saxaphone. I love getting baked and mashing on the piano, though I'm quick to admit that I'm not so good at improvisation. Practice practice practice, though, right?
  14. Dark Dark

• Fool on the Hill
    • Since: Jun 13, 2004
    I guess I could call myself a musician now.....
    Been playing the acoustic guitar for about 4 months continuously now...jam all the time after a good smoke or drink :) Night before thanksgiving I was jammin all night with my uncle, both of us crocked out of our skulls :p

I'm not amazing but I'm proud of how fast I picked it up. Definitely one of the best things to do stoned.
    1 people like this.
  15. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

Hey theres nothing wrong with "little highschool bands" some of the highschool bands iv seen are better then bands I see playing at bars. Highschool was when I had the most fun jamming with friends.

Improv is usually how I play, I rarely go into a song knowing exactly how Im going to play. I just have a basic idea and the rest is how im feeling, which is why its so much fun when your high.
    I learned to get better at improv by memorizing different scales and would play along to 3 chord patterns my friends would play. I have never actually had formal music lessons, just lots of playing while stoned and some research.

I owe alot of getting better at playing guitar to marijuana because it kept me motivated to keep playing no matter how bad it sounds.
  16. Bhikku Bhikku

• News Administrator
    • Since: Jun 14, 2006
    Me and my friends can all sing to one degree of skill or another, and that's how we jam. We used to drive around in the country smoking and we'd listen to the radio. All of a sudden, when we reached that level of highness which erases self consciousness, one person would start singing. And I'm not talking about mumbling or mouthing the words, I'm talking about full-out singing.

Before you know it, we have five or six people singing at the top of their lungs, even at stoplights. We transform into a rolling karaoke bar.

Good times! Music and marijuana go together like peas and carrots. :D
  17. Free_Your_Mindd Free_Your_Mindd

• Since: Oct 6, 2008
    I have a few friends who are in an awesome Jam Band. If you guys would like to check them out here is their link. MySpace.com - Nomads of the Nook (New Song! Check it...) - ENGLEWOOD, Florida - Jam Band / Reggae / Other - www.myspace.com/nomadsofthenook
    If you would like to hear more of them then what is on their myspace there is a couple other links on their page..and I also know of a website with most of their stuff on it..plus they are on youtube with a lot of jams. Just search Nomads of the Nook.

:]

They are really great.
    I just wish more people would take time to reconize them, instead of just walking by.
  18. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

A true musician shouldnt care to much if people dont take the time to recognize them. Only to create music for those who want to listen. Although I do agree recognition for musicians is sometimes well deserved when often it is not received. I also believe that recognition for some musicians is not deserved and often received.

For Further Posts - I would be more interested if people would post material in which they were involved in first hand. I would rather not hear friends of friends. Or uncles of step brothers etc... I would like to hear stuff from the amateur musician first hand.

PS - Im not trying to be rude or anything... I would just rather a discussion amungst jammers
  19. smarten-up smarten-up

• Since: Nov 4, 2008
    Yea man, I wish I had some kind of recording device to work with :(. I mean Im no prize or anything but it would be cool to get some feedback. Ive been trying to work on improvisation alot recently, it hasnt been to successful, cause I feel like I keep hitting a dead end. Any scales in particular that made it easy to get started?
  20. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

Id say learn... Pentatonic Major, Pentatonic Minor, and The Blues scale... Very good for improving to three chord patterns.

As for something to record with... Find yourself a 1/4" (regular guitar jack) to a Mini (line in jack on the computer). Get a program called Cool Edit (I recommend a torrent site). Thats all you need for a basic recording setup :). Its all im using for now until im done traveling.
    1 people like this.