Optimal cannabutter procedure...Does one topple the others?

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by GanjaSurprise!, Mar 30, 2004.

1. GanjaSurprise! GanjaSurprise!

• Since: Mar 29, 2004
    Me and my freind have been scouring the internet for the ultimate cannabutter procedure, and of course we've been flooded with a variety of choices.

We have 1/4 ounce moderate to good quality bud and a crock pot.

Is there any significant advantage over using the boiling method over the crock pot method? Our initial procedure was to mortar and pistol the bud, place it in the crockpot on lowest setting, and let it simmer for 24 hours. When we came online we found plenty of recipes that called for only half an hour of simmering. Others called for 4 hours. We've gotten no concrete idea on how long we should simmer for. Would simmering for 24 hours hurt anything? We want to squeeze out as much THC as possible. Wouldn't prolonged simmering be more effective?

And even then, is crock-potting the best way to go? Alot of people seem to do the boiling method. Is there a difference in terms of optimal Cannabuddery Goodness? Does one thwart the other?

Finally, do we include water in the crock pot? Some recipes say yes, and some recipes don't mention it at all. What is the purpose of adding water?

We want to get 7 people high with a batch of brownies. Some places say we could do it with a 1/4, some places say we would need 2 ounces. The group doesn't have a high tolerance for weed, most of them are beginners. Is it possible?
  2. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Just do it the simplest way possible for you.

The important part is to not burn the butter...so keep it on a low flame.

24 hours is a bit much...I go for about 1/2 hour and I've had no complaints -- they are yusually couchlocked with grins on their faces...complaining is not on their minds.

I kind of like using the water now myself...of course you need to strain the mess into a large bowl and allow it to cool in the fridge, but that works well in getting a nice pure butter.

I rarely use just the butter for my reciped, cutting the cannabudder with fresh butter or if making cakes which call for oil, I use half melted cannabudder and half vegetable oil.

Just try it...you have to get into the learning curve somehow !

Good luck and let us know how you are doing.

Mama Budz
  3. Arsenal Arsenal

• Resident Chef
    • Since: Jun 25, 2002
    1/4oz for 7 people likely ain't gonna cut it. Optimally 1oz but you should be able to scrape by with 1/2. The water is a good idea - it prevents butter burnage and you can add any amount, but be aware that more water needs you need a bigger container to put it into the fridge.

See the sticky topic in this forum to make sure you're not gonna screw up. Yes I am blatantly endorsing my own posts.

But as always, mamabudz knows best. I'm pretty much just seconding her advice.
  4. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:

Mama BUdz is a cook...you my dear are a chef!

ANd blatantly endorse your posts baby ...go go go! :liplick:
  5. GanjaSurprise! GanjaSurprise!

• Since: Mar 29, 2004
    Status Update

Alright, we put inbetween 1/4 and a 1/2, and we have some left over for smoking just in case we don't achieve a high.

We ground up the buds pretty nicely, and placed it on top of 2 sticks of unsalted Land O' Lakes butter which were nice and cozy within our crock pot. We added a small amount of water, set the heat to Low, and waited. About an hour later we could smell the butter....and it smelled FAN-****IN'-TASTIC. We were under the impression that the strong smell would be bad or unenjoyable. Definitly not the case. This smelled like fresh herb butter you find at nice restuarants, made with the finest herb of all.

We were hovering over our crock pot for a good 1/2 hour, just sniffing the magnificent aroma. Eventually we started to notice a brownish-goldenish ring on the very outer ring of the butter. We knew that if the stuff was turning brown we were in trouble so we slightly freaked out and opened up the crock pot. Ahhhhh, the steam came rolling at us and I felt a slight buzz rolling around my brain. we stirred up the butter and the brown dissapeared, but we were still worried so we added more water.

We stirred with a spoon, and one of my friends licked it clean. He said it tasted like nothing, nowhere near as good as the smell, but not bad either. I considered this a good sign.

The brown ring would return, but it never got larger. The stuff still smelled excellent and the middle was still a dark green, the sides a lighter emerald color. We figured that the outer ring is just hotter because it touches the sides of the crock pot. In any case, the stuff is still simmering at my freinds house, it's been doing so for a good 4 hours now. He should be filtering it shortly. So far all seems good...

Oh and we read your thread a few nights ago and it was quite helpful Arsenel. You too Budz, you guys/girls make it alot easier then it could be.
  6. bridget bridget

• Since: Apr 26, 2005
    butter

Is canabutter detectable by drug sniffing dogs :)
  7. «°Ñøvã°» «°Ñøvã°»

• Since: Jul 3, 2005
    Cannibutter method

This has worked for me in the past.
    You need
    1 crock pot
    preferably at least an ounce of cannibas
    some unsalted butter
    hand blender
    water

Fill crock pot with water 1/2 full
    Add cannibas no more than 4oz but more than an ounce
    Let simmer for 2 days making sure u add water as it loses it
    *the oils from the cannibas will float on the surface of the water this is a choice indicator
    At the end of the 2 day cycle add sticks of butter remember 1oz to 1 stick if your using commercial grade bud or high grade leaf, for high grade bud use 1 stick to1/2 to 1/4 ounce depending on potency.
    *the formula here can be altered to your taste use less butter for more potent formula but never use less raw material to more butter. This formula has yeilded some 24hr highs.
    Let the butter melt then turn off crock pot immediatly after and let cool.Once crock pot has cooled stick the pot in the fridge until butter solidifies
    Once solidified skim the top surface. The butter and oils will have mixed and separated from the water, place in a sealable container.
    Now take the cannibas from the crock pot and use a hand blender to mince the raw material, place that in with the butter and mix it together with a blender. Seal it up and place either in the freezer or refriderator for future use.
    Substitute anything that calls for butter with your cannibutter 1 to 1.
    I personally use the betty crocker cake mix that u can add butter to for my brownies its just a persoanl preferance.
    Enjoy
  8. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    I think two days is overkill. You shouldn't need to do it very long at all, quick batches would work better, especially if you keep running the extracted bud over and over. Makes more sense than leaving it in for days...
  9. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    What do you mean make it pliable enough to mince? You don't strain your bud out after it's done extracting? There's really no point in keeping the bud in, all of the THC has already been extracted. And if mincing is the problem, use a coffee grinder before you start cooking the butter and marijuana together. More surface area = better THC extraction.
  10. «°Ñøvã°» «°Ñøvã°»

Just the way i like doing it, i like to have the raw material in the butter myself that way ya get ALL the properties and taste if you prefer it that way. Yes you may be right it may be overkill but it works just the same. Steeping times may vary like you pointed out. I just ground the material by hand stems and bud no seeds doesnt have to be shakey but its all the same.
  11. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    It's not "I may be right" but rather, "I am right." Science tells you that the more surface area a substance has, the faster it's going to cook. It's why something like a flank steak that has been pounded down cooks in literally a minute while a 10 ounce filet mignon takes much longer. Try it next time and see how it goes. Go to the store and get a coffee grinder, it's a great investment, and they only cost about $10-15. Clean your bud before you put it in, meaning take out the stems and seeds (if there are any) and grind it up into a fine powder. Use clarified butter (ghee) or unsalted butter (always use unsalted butter when making cannabutter). Put your pan on medium, just until the butter melts, and mix in the cannabis. Stir constantly until combined and reduce the heat to medium-low to low. Make sure you put the cover on the pot, otherwise the steam will escape. Let that sit for 30-90 minutes, stirring occasionally. Strain the bud from the butter with a cheesecloth and squeeze it real good. Repeat the process with new butter, and do this as many times as you want. The last step isn't even necessary, you've pretty much got all the THC out with the first run.

If you don't mind the taste, then what's the point of even making cannabutter? You're putting all the bud into your recipe anyways, you might as well just pour your marijuana (in powder form) into every recipe you make and skip the THC extraction...
    1 people like this.
  12. «°Ñøvã°» «°Ñøvã°»

I have seen it done the way you describe and its a good method as well. I have always had the idea that the less you handle the raw material the more active ingredients stay in the material. The more you handle it the more crystals and or oils you lose.
    Personally i like the taste of filet mignon rather than pounded flank ;)
  13. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    :laugh: I have to agree, I'll take a filet mignon over pounded flank anyday :) My favorite is still a nice prime rib, medium rare of course! And yes, the less you handle the better: meaning, less steam escaping into the air, less contact on utensils, etc.
  14. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Speaking of filet mignon...

Might I suggest a lovely bernaise sauce made with ...cannabutter to top that filet?
  15. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    Mmmm...love bernaise sauce! It took me a couple tries before I got that sauce right without it breaking. Definately my all-time favorite sauce with steak, period! That would be damn good with cannabutter. I think I'll add that to the Marijuana.com Recipe site (http://recipes.marijuana.com). Speaking of that site, I'm working on a new version with much more features and a very, very slick design. Sure to please.
  16. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    www.knorr.com

Just add canna-butter & milk --- you think I spend my whole life in the kitchen ? ;)
  17. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    I'm really not a fan of instant mixes. I'm the kind of cook who likes to do everything from scratch :) Nice site though!