Pipe Resin is TAR

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by nornerator, Oct 15, 2006.

1. nornerator nornerator

• Since: Oct 28, 2005
    There is a great misconception about "resin." Resin comes from a mature cannabis plant by collecting the trichromes. The stuff that collects in marijuana pipes is TAR with a minute amount of THC trapped in between. People will get a mild buzz from collecting the TAR into little balls and smoking them, and think that it is the same as smoking marijuana, it is not. The buzz, if any of you have smoked this tar before is very mild and is often followed by headaches.

This is the problem, we need to STOP CALLING TAR RESIN. It gives people the wrong impression of what it is, and in all honesty IMO should never be smoked by anybody, and if people understood why they are getting the mild buzz they get from it, they'd never smoke it.

You would get the same high from smoking "resin" from a Tobacco pipe as it essentially contains the same stuff.

Im not trying to tell anybody what they should or should not do, but lets not over glorify an incredibly unhealthy and unproductive act such as smoking tar.

If someone likes to jump off 2 story houses for fun, hey more power too ya, but don't rename what your doing from "jumping off houses and hoping not to break my legs" to "2-story watersliding into a pool of hot chicks" which is basically the difference between Tar and Resin, and it is very misleading.

Tar is available at your local home improvement store, next time you are that hard up for weed get a gallon of that and dip into it when you run dry. You will get a buzz!

Im really not trying to tell anybody what they can and cannot do, but people should be educated properly about the decisions they are making, and by calling tar resin you are spreading misinformation and causing people to make unhealthy decisions.

If anybody would like to add in FACTS about this feel free, don't offer conjecture about how it makes you feel buzzed, I know it will give you a buzz, but it gives you a buzz for entirely unhealthy reasons, and there are other threads for that. Also if anybody would like to use empirical evidence to prove me wrong that would be great.

In conclusion, THERE IS NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT THE RESIDUE FOUND IN YOUR PIPE IS RESIN, ALTHOUGH THEY SHARE THE FIRST THREE LETTERS OF THEIR NAME, THEY ARE COMPLETELY AND ENTIRELY UN-RELATED, AND IN FACT THE RESIDUE IS ALMOST 100% TAR.
    5 people like this.
  2. skidoo skidoo

• Senior Potiosectionist
    • Since: Oct 13, 2006
    Hear, hear! Well said, well said. My feelings exactly. If you wanna smoke it, fine. But you should understand what it is you're smokin.
  3. nornerator nornerator

I was actually going to PM you to make a thread about this because you seem more knowledgeable than I about the specifics, but I decided I'd just go ahead and write it. People need to be aware of the decisions they are making.
  4. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
  5. da sAUCE! da sAUCE!

• Banned
    • Since: Oct 8, 2006
    really? I'll be damned. I smoked a ball the size of a bowl and I was pretty blazed.
  6. nornerator nornerator

7. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    • Since: Feb 14, 2006
    I think that's because Cheaptalk requires you to be 18. ;)
    (Or at least say you are)
  8. Bud-S-Moker Bud-S-Moker

• Since: Jul 25, 2006
    I cant remember that shakespeare quote, anyway its like what is a rose any less sweet by another name. tar or resin, its still the same sticky black gunk that will get me high when I am dry. Calling it the black death wouldnt change my opinion on it. I dont see the big deal about smoking it though its just the smoke that clung to your piece.

I smoke KB and a decent sized ball of resin will get me really high. If you had a smaller pipe more of that tar would have just ended up in your lungs originally so whats the big deal?
  9. 420Killer 420Killer

• Since: Oct 15, 2006
    Hmm well i only smoke good pot through my pipe and when i smoke a ball or RESIN i get pretty damn high so i dunno what yur talking about:wave:
  10. imported_Resin imported_Resin

• Since: Jun 19, 2006
    My ears are burning...
  11. skidoo skidoo

• Senior Potiosectionist
    The big deal is, I don't want that tar in my lungs. Or that poison-ache in my head. But hey, if you like the "resin" buzz, go for it.
  12. nornerator nornerator

Nobody is saying it wont get you high.

The problem is you and people like you think its as safe as smoking pot, when in reality it is not.

It doesn't matter how potent your pot is, trying to rationalize that you have a tolerance to THC and saying you get high off of smoking resin does not prove that it has a high THC content, all it proves is that you don't have a tolerance to a TAR high.

Once again, smoking TAR will get you high, but at a serious cost to your health. You would get a better high cleaning a bathroom with the vents and doors closed.

THC vaporizes at a fairly low temperature, so the overwhelming majority of it does not cool off enough between lighting the pipe and your mouth, to turn into a liquid or solid that can stick to the sides of glass. That stuff is not simply the smoke that stuck to the glass. It is almost 100% tar, the stuff that they pave roads with.

I'm all about personal choice so I don't really care if you smoke this TAR, as long as you do in fact realize that you aren't smoking cannabis resin, or anything similar to marijuana at all, and that the high you get is not from THC but from the killing of brain cells, literally. Quite frankly I have smoked this tar several times, and each and every time it gave me a decent buzz with a short duration, and the majority of the times I ended up with a headache. Is that worth the killing of many brain cells, the carbon monoxide poisoning, or the greatly increased risk of cancer from inhaling highly carcinogenic benzene rings?

Please, do not post in this thread saying "I get high smoking pipe residue" everybody knows that you can get high. This thread is trying to promote awareness because it seems so many of you are absolutely clueless as to what the stuff in your pipe is.
  13. Bud-S-Moker Bud-S-Moker

You inhale carbon monoxide when you smoke anything. Ive never gotten a headache from it. Is there any scientific evidence pointing to that it destroys braincells?
  14. skidoo skidoo

• Senior Potiosectionist
    Here's an observation:

Vaporizers work, as many, many people will testify. What do vaporizers do? They release THC from your weed, without actually burning the weed. How do they do this? They heat the weed to the point at which THC is, well, vaporized. On my Vapir One, this temperature is usually about 380F. That is, I can suck all the psychoactive yum out of the weed and inhale only a fraction of the nasty particulates and tar.

So apply our experience with this vapor proccess to the process of actually putting a flame to weed and combusting it. The THC is released before the weed even burns. Hence, not much is going to be left in the goo in yer bowl.

Just an observation. :)

And I am so baked right now, for the record.
  15. Plainsman1963 Plainsman1963

• Since: Jul 19, 2002
  16. UberDouche UberDouche

• Since: Mar 4, 2005
    Finally, some intelligent stoners...I've been trying to tell my friends that that's the same shit you'd get in a cigarette filter. Gross-ass disgusting poop is what it is, I don't care if it gets you high - if you're that desparate for a high then you are what is called a fiend. Even if there is any sort of cannabinoid left in there, you're still inhaling a much larger amount of carbon-monoxide (you know, the stuff that you have a detector for in your house....why do you have that? ohh yeah that's right - it can KILL you) and benzene (a carcinogenic compound that is used in the process of making dyes, lubricants, explosives, detergents, rubbers, Nylon, pesticides, polymers, plastics, resins and adhesives)...does that really sound like that good of an idea?

From Wikipedia: "Benzene exposure has serious health effects. Breathing high levels of benzene can result in death, while low levels can cause drowsiness, dizziness, rapid heart rate, headaches, tremors, confusion, and unconsciousness. Eating or drinking foods containing high levels of benzene can cause vomiting, irritation of the stomach, dizziness, sleepiness, convulsions, rapid heart rate, and death.

The major effect of benzene from chronic (long-term) exposure is to the blood. Benzene damages the bone marrow and can cause a decrease in red blood cells, leading to anemia. It can also cause excessive bleeding and depress the immune system, increasing the chance of infection."

Those of you who say that cannabis isn't addictive shouldn't have to smoke TAR to get a high. If you're not addicted, then why do you fiend to the point where you'd smoke tar?
  17. skidoo skidoo

• Senior Potiosectionist
    @UberDouche: You said what I was thinking. What large cajones you have! lol
  18. Stoned247 Stoned247

• Since: Aug 29, 2005
    I understand WHAT it is in my pipe, but to its still RESIN.
  19. Bud-S-Moker Bud-S-Moker

Im still not getting where good old harmless weed after being set on fire and residue builds up of it in a pipe where it magically turns into something that now kills braincells.

Guess what uberdouche you get carbon monoxide and benzine whenever you smoke weed too. So if your not a fiend why are you inhaling what they put detechors in your house for because it can kill you.

It just sounds like a sensationalization to me.

Oh BTW have any of you heard that dihydrogen monoxide has been found in our nations water supply. The same stuff that is the cause of thousands of deaths a year.:eek:
  20. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    You're 1/2 right Bud-S-Smoker....ypou are inhaling these same things when smoking "good old harmless weed". However, the TAR that is left is composed of CONCENTRATED byproducts. You are inhaling it in MUCH greater amounts when you smoke it alone as to when you smoke weed. The tar is a BYPRODUCT of the weeds combustion, and you simply don't inhale nearly as much of it when you smoke cannabis as opposed to smoking a bowl of tar.

I won't pretend I haven't smoked it, because I have. However, as most people who smoke it will agree on, its a different kind of high than smoking regular weed. Its short-liverd, and usually leaves you feeling kind of shitty on the comedown (headaches were unavoidable EVERY time I smoked resin). If its the same as smoking weed, how come I NEVER get those kinds of comedowns? When I come down off of weed, it just sort of "wears off". When I come down off of resin, I feel like crap.