Refrigerating Weed

Discussion in 'The 420 Lounge' started by mtvesuvius, Feb 5, 2008.

1. mtvesuvius mtvesuvius

• Since: Jan 19, 2008
    Hey I wasn't sure where to put this so I decided to put it here because my main form of consumption is with a vape. My friend told me yesterday that he heard that refrigerating weed lessened the potency of the THC. Is this true? I always keep mine in a container in my refrigerator, and I've never really noticed too much of a difference.

Mod Note: Thread moved to Lounge: If you can't figure out the best place to put a thread then it probably belongs in the Lounge.
  2. SpiralArchitect SpiralArchitect

• The Cosmic Chronic
    • Since: Dec 26, 2006
    Your friend is wrong. I don't think a refrigeration lessens the potency of THC, if anything it keeps your buds more fresh and maintains their potency. As long as you don't have a wet fridge or moisture in your container/moist buds, you should be A-Ok. :)
  3. mtvesuvius mtvesuvius

That's good to hear :) Thanks
  4. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    The enemies of marijuana are air, light, heat, and moisture. The first three contribute to the oxidation of THC. The fourth contributes to the growth of mold.

Refrigerators are dark and cold, which is good. They also tend to be pretty moist, which is not. Ziplock bags aren't air- or moisture-proof, so they're not a good storage solution.

The best way to store properly dried and cured bud is in vacuum-sealed glass jars in the refrigerator or freezer. I use a little hand pump that sucks all of the air out of glass jars and keep 'em in the fridge.
  5. mtvesuvius mtvesuvius

Hmm I store it in a ziplock bag that is inside a plastic screw top container, do you think it is fine? It probably doesn't stay in there for any longer than a month or two.
  6. SpiralArchitect SpiralArchitect

• The Cosmic Chronic
    • Since: Dec 26, 2006
    Yeah, I think that should be okay, just make sure the bud isn't moist to begin with. Taking it out and checking on it occasionally might be a good idea to make sure molding doesn't occur.
  7. winnipeg winnipeg

• Since: Feb 27, 2008
    ive been trying deffentent ways of moistening me green ive tried praying it wiht carbonated sprite(ive been told it doesnt kill the chirstals), and storing it airtight int he fridge/freezer with anything from bread, mouistened paper towels, orange lime lemon peels(for the fruitiness)(not the whole thing unless the juice stickifies it which i dont want to know)... um.. all seem to work fine but im impatient and so far spraying does the trick faster... um... i
    ve heard bas things about the microwave but if u let it moisten then put it in there for 10-20 seconds the shit reeks when u get it out(which is good becuase most ppl judge quality on smell)... anyone know the pros/cons of that procedure... cause i dont yet

peace out
  8. troublemaker420 troublemaker420

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    I definitely wouldn't microwave it!!!!!!!!! It might make it stink, but it destroys the THC. Heat is one of THC's biggest enemies, along with moisture and light, as Buzzby said above. The only way I'll "moisten" weed is with an orange peel in the same contaioner the weed is ion for an hour or so. This adds moisture, but not an excessive amount.
  9. VapeNator VapeNator

• Since: Feb 12, 2008
    I sometimes store bud for more than 1 year. The best way I have found is, as Buzzby said, in glass jars. The fridge is OK but I don't like the freezer - frozen water expands destroying cell walls, etc. It is never as nice when I thaw it back out.

For up to 1 year I keep my bud in jars in the closet - away from light and heat. After that I will vacuum seal the buds.

Depending on the type and amount of pot I need to vacuum seal I will use jars or bags. For smaller amounts of high quality herb I will use jars. For large amounts of lesser weed(like a LB of outdoor) I will use food sealer bags.

The bags are easy but compress the herb a little . .especially delicate indoor with tons of chrystals! On the other hand some dank and dense outdoor grown indicas will store really well this way and look just as good as the day they went in the bags.

The jars preserve your buds in tact but are more expensive and more of a pain to deal with. To store the sugary, fluffy dank, though, there is really no other option.

For very long term storage you should know that most vacuum sealed jars lose thier seals every so often (as often as every few days for some). I reseal my jars often. If you wanted to store weed for the long term - like 2-5 years - definitely go with the vacuum bags vs jar.

Just my opinion although I have had some experience at storing weed. Hope it helps!

Oh yeah . .the BEST way to remoisten dry weed is by putting it in a bag with some fresh pot leaves!
    1 people like this.
  10. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    That "stink" is your expensive THC wafting off into the atmosphere, never to be seen again.
  11. dj Dozhe dj Dozhe

• Since: Mar 18, 2008
    I put my fluffy nugs in zip loc bags, then place them inside glass mason jars, and then I put them in the freezer. It's worked pretty well for me so far.
  12. disheartenedwamerica disheartenedwamerica

• Since: Nov 15, 2007
    Hey, I know this is slightly off-topic, but I have a question for anyone willing to answer. I already know Buzzby's answer lol. Anyway... I see that people seem to store marijuana for long amounts of time. I believe one post said over a year. I don't know about anyone else, but for marijuana to last me a week, atleast when I was smoking (probation), was like anywhere from 3g's-1/4oz. Usually KB. It is hard for me to picture storing it for a year or more. Perhaps I am just too young, inexperienced, or underfunded...perhaps all three...but Anyway, so as for the actual question, how much do you purchase at a time...and how long does it last you?

Edited for spelling
  13. dj Dozhe dj Dozhe

• Since: Mar 18, 2008
    Sounds like a good topic for a new thread, unless one like it already exists. I haven't seen one like it yet. You'll probably get a lot more responses, but I'll give you mine: I usually buy an ounce of headies at a time, and it can last me up to 2 months.
  14. Purpose420 Purpose420

• Since: Feb 17, 2007
  15. Canta Canta

• Since: Oct 1, 2007
    Have to say, I've never had enough weed to have to keep any in the fridge, I guess it would be fine. I used to get a bit of Charas hash which we kept in the fridge to keep it solid, if you had it in your pocket it started to go squidgy and melt a bit.