Retarded people smoking marijuana

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by Tenderlungs, Oct 14, 2006.

1. Tenderlungs Tenderlungs

• Since: Jul 23, 2006
    I was watching "What's eating Gilbert Grape?" earlier, and it got to me wondering what it would be like for a retarded person to smoke pot. Has anyone ever seen or had experience with this, or what would you guess it would do to the retarded person? Just wondering. For a friend... :wave:
  2. JiggsCasey JiggsCasey

• Since: Jan 16, 2005
    hahah this kid i went to school with! fucking tards.
  3. Equilibrium Equilibrium

• Cranched Scanner
    • Since: Feb 3, 2006
    I think some people might be offended by the term "retard"(i'm not but anywayz.....). I don't know how someone with mental handicaps would react. it probly would differ alot between person and the mental problem they had.
  4. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    Wouldn't the only people that would get offended actually be retarded people? And if that were the case, would they even know they should be offended? Just some food for thought. It's a word, it really doesn't matter.
  5. Equilibrium Equilibrium

• Cranched Scanner
    • Since: Feb 3, 2006
    i agree, but ive seen people get offended for someone using the term.
  6. blondie0420 blondie0420

• Locks of Gold
    • Since: Sep 1, 2005
    HL, I've known people who have a mentally retarded family member who can be upset when someone else calls a stupid person a "retard."

It can be offensive, even to people who aren't retarded, though I would guess even a retarded person may be hurt by it. If someone does something dumb, calling them a "retard" in the presence of a mentally handicapped person who makes every effort not to do dumb things would probably be offensive. And plus, I've met a few retarded people before, and not one of them was so slow as to know they shouldn't be offended by someone making a joke about their condition.

Honestly, I don't know how a retarded person would react to smoking marijuana. In some cases, a person might be able to handle it, but others may not. It would most likely vary person to person just as it does with everybody else.
  7. king_ofbonghits king_ofbonghits

• Since: Aug 22, 2006
    theyd probably go crazy!
  8. maxilion maxilion

• Since: Apr 13, 2006
    I actually am a little. I have a mentally handicapped uncle (not down syndrome) and the topic is very close to me. They aren't stupid. They do know that they are being made fun of. I think many of you have a very skewed vision of what retarded is. The things that happed to them in mental hospitals is attrocious. Common procedures done on them are electro shock therapy where they send jolts of electricity through your body to mellow you out for a few days and lobotomies in which they remove a part of your brain which virtually holds your personality.
  9. Tenderlungs Tenderlungs

• Since: Jul 23, 2006

I didn't mean stupid as in "I'm a dumbass" I meant, retarded as in "I'm mentally retarded."
  10. imported_SBsurferdude imported_SBsurferdude

• Surfing Fiend
    • Since: Mar 27, 2006
    actually mentally retarded is the correct term so calling a retarded person retarded is pollitically correct. but anyway to the op im not sure but theyd probably trip out hard im assuming. but really would you be able to tell?
  11. nornerator nornerator

• Since: Oct 28, 2005
    When I was younger I had predjudice against mentally handicapped, but as I grew older and became more familiar with them and what it really means to be mentally handicapped, I feel so bad for being predjudice against them. They are truely the most caring people in the world. Most of the ones I've met are just so nice and REAL. They can walk up to a complete stranger and have a heartfelt conversation with them. I feel badly for them, I can't imagine living like that.

But anyways, people shouldn't use the term retard to refer to people doing stupid things. Its just insensitive. I know there is nothing wrong about a word, but you know how other people are going to react to it.

Anyways, in response to the OP's question, I think that would be very interesting. I have a hunch that some people would benefit from use, use in some might make symptoms worse, and still for others it might just be a recreational activity for them with no affect on mental handicap.
  12. Frojoe Frojoe

• Since: May 2, 2006
    A kid at my school is mildly retarded(mentaly retarded not stupid) and smoke alot. He is so fucking funny. I think if a person was more seriosly retarded smoking could do some damage, just my guess though.
  13. THC-TKR THC-TKR

• Since: Feb 16, 2006
    Well, its not as amussing as it sounds. My brother has several things wrong with him. He is autistic, has a disease where he cant write, and severe depression and has not ever had a problem with marijuana. What i have heard and seen is that it does not take effect one the first couple of tries like a normal mentallitied person. It took about ten tries to get him to feel anything and now he smokes damn near as much as i do. So really, its not like they totally freak out most of the time, but its more like you would feel like your 400 pounds.
  14. Jdezle21 Jdezle21

• Since: Sep 21, 2006

Word. I never understand how people get so worked up over simple words.
  15. Hashishi Hashishi

• Unf*ckwit'able
    • Since: Nov 17, 2004
    :confused:

No it's not.

These terms become charged where they are related in our minds negatively. Personally, I feel this same "negativity" when hearing PC terminology used, and would suggest that people who don't are sub-par and thusly the cause for the invention of PC terminology in the first place. ;)

Think about it.
  16. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    • Since: Feb 14, 2006
    It's simple. Words can cause more damage than the worst of weapons when used effectively.

Also, "mentally retarded" is a generic phrase to describe multiple mental conditions such as autism, down syndrome, fetal alchohol syndrome or some birth defects.
    If you break it down, you're talking abut retardation, which means a slowing of advancement or growth. It's basically a slow develoopment of cognitive ability, resulting in lower IQ. Mentally retarded individuals have IQs of under 80.

Now, I'm not offended by the term "retard". I have family friends with a retard in teh family, and I am careful not to poke fun around them, plain and simple.

I suggest some people watch the "Timmy & The Lords Of The Underworld" episode of South Park. I'm sure, as stoners, most of you have. :laugh:
    It raises a good point. Mentally handicapped people want to live and behave just like everyone else. They want to laugh. They want to love. They want to get laid. They want to feel accepted.

Why the hell is it that there are important social lessons to be learned from four foul-mouthed little boys? I think that says something about society...
  17. Grimble Grumble Grimble Grumble

• Since: May 15, 2005
    "The things that happed to them in mental hospitals is attrocious. Common procedures done on them are electro shock therapy where they send jolts of electricity through your body to mellow you out for a few days and lobotomies in which they remove a part of your brain which virtually holds your personality."

dude, this isnt One Flew Over, they dont do stuff like that to people anymore.
  18. CrAzYpOtHeAd CrAzYpOtHeAd

• Since: Aug 1, 2006
    man jack nicolson (sp?) kicks ass in that movie.. gets me thinking too.. pretty shitty the way society rejects those not considered "normal"..
  19. BodeanBud BodeanBud

• Since: Jan 23, 2006
    The correst term is "mentally challenged" , not retarded. Although its just a word to some people it is insulting and people shouldent be insulted for no reason.

Id imagine they would still experience a good high with the muchies and some good music, whatever they are into normally. How amazing would it be if we discovered it they temporarily lose the effects of thier disability while high. Then again i think there are tons of things that marijuana can be of assistance to if not a cure.

My job is to smoke as much as i can in different situations and who knows maybe ill find a new use for it. But on the mental topic id have no problem toking with a mentally challenged person as long as they are not a serious patient.

i love weed :)
  20. da sAUCE! da sAUCE!

• Banned
    • Since: Oct 8, 2006
    pretty much this entire topic pisses me the hell off. My aunt had Down's Syndrome until she died 5 years ago. She was very special. She was incredibly kind and fed stray cats, jeez, I don't wanna go into it but she was very loving. So take care to the ofensive posts, mods.