Rolling Machines

Discussion in 'Smoking Accessories' started by Lab2589, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Lab2589 Lab2589

• Since: May 18, 2008
    Sorry if this has been asked/explained before.

I'm thinking about purchasing a rolling machine but which one should I get? Whats the difference between 110mm and 70mm. Can you make do with a blunt roller and make joints with it to or is that a no no?
    1 people like this.
  2. ITG ITG

• Ardent Dilettante
    • Since: Nov 19, 2006
    As far as the blunt rolling machine goes, I don't know how it would work for a jay. The mechanism appears the same as the normal ones, but I'd be willing to bet that it wouldn't really work on the much smaller papers used for jays.

And on that note, I heartily endorse not getting one at all and simply learning to roll. The way I recommend learning to roll is to just buy a pouch or two of rolling tobacco and a pack of decent papers (most of the free ones you get with the pouch aren't worth much- they'll do in a pinch, but not well, though american spirit's flax papers are an exception. Still not as good as a lot of papers you can get at a headshop, but I'd say they work fine). Then just practice for awhile. I'd START on the freebie papers with the pouch, to get the technique down, and then graduating to the decent papers when you think you won't waste most of them. When you run out of tobacco, tear up some of the cigs and reuse the tobacco in those. You should be able to roll a jay as well as a rolling machine at least by the time you're done.

If you're really dead set on a rolling machine, I can't really change your mind. But I've never really seen one give a good roll, not like you can get with your hands. And when you learn yourself, you don't need to remember your roller or carry it around with you- all you need is the weed and the papers. My method might cost a little more- but if you lose your roller once, it'll cost less to have just learned how to roll yourself.

Plus I kind of like to roll by hand because then it's MY joint, not the machines, you know?
  3. Dark Dark

• Fool on the Hill
    • Since: Jun 13, 2004
    If you were really sorry, from now on you'd learn to use the search feature ;). Typing in "rolling machines" is simple enough isn't it?
    And thread moved to smoking accessories..
  4. Jake Jake

• Since: Jul 31, 2005
    I have a simple mechanical rolling machine, cost me 3 bucks. It's just like this, but instead of metal, it's plastic, and instead of blue, it's black.

[IMG]

The material that the "roller" is made of is not very good for rolling cannabis. A lot gets stuck, and it's hard to roll. These kind of things really are just meant for tobacco cigarettes. I've used it for tobacco cigarettes before, and they roll really good cigarettes. The joints just suck though. Cigarettes are rolled a lot differently than joints. The material burns different, it's a different texture...

I also endorse learning how roll. But I mean I would guess that a more expensive, electric roller might be what you're looking for.
  5. fight4theright fight4theright

• Marijuana Enthusiast
    • Since: Oct 6, 2006
    Interesting that it doesn't work well for you...I've got a Top roller that is made from plastic as well, (and is the same design) and it rolls excellent joints. I've found that overfilling it can make things more difficult, but to roll up some small doobies, it works like a charm. There is a bit of a technique to getting it to work well, but its easy enough once ya got it mastered.
  6. waynesworld waynesworld

• Since: Jul 9, 2008
    i find that rollers don't work well at all with chronic. rather than tobacco, because it rolls differently, i would get a zip or a half of some reggies. roll, roll, roll. when you run out of rolling material, break up the ones you've finished, and start over. eventually you will find your own technique and style. a cigaweed, a cone, a two tipper, etc. if youre a regular jay smoker, it is totally worth learning how to roll. its not as hard as some people make it out to be. plus, it is more rewarding. say you have a few friends over, and it's time to do work on some green...you whip out the papers, they whip out the nugs, and you make the magic happen with a joint that smokes smoothly, doesnt run, doesnt have a resin tip, and looks like it came right off of a bob marley poster. that is something you could NEVER do with a roller.

EDIT:
    i might make a how to roll thread with a really simple technique that could surely benefit those who arent the best rollers. ive never come across another person who uses this technique. tomorrow though...for tonight, it is too late. this bongload is calling my name.
  7. Boredom Boredom

• Since: Jul 11, 2008
    I'm gonna side with ITG on this one, smoking a joint is MUCH more satisfying when you roll it yourself. It sort of adds to the hobby side of reefer, making it more than just getting high.
  8. Cheeba16 Cheeba16

• Since: Jun 30, 2005
    Story about rolling machines: We went to a head shop and asked a question, nothing out of the ordinary, about rolling machines. The guy behind the counter replied, "we don't sell anything to that matter here, and due to the nature of that question, I'm going to have to ask you to leave."
  9. joshpackr joshpackr

• Since: Aug 4, 2007
    I have a JOB roller that I purchased at the headshop for under $5. I've had it over a year and it works fine. I use it for all of my joint rolling needs. I smoke more out of my glassware than I do joints so I don't roll all that many joints anyway.
  10. Smoke420 Smoke420

• Since: Feb 18, 2008
    the best roller is your hands :D
    1 people like this.
  11. auri auri

• Since: Jun 19, 2007
    i have a rolling machine, sadly it rolls better joints than i ever will
    they come out like a cigarette generally
  12. ctwalrus ctwalrus

• Since: Jun 21, 2008
    i normally roll with my hands but i have a roller, i never carry it, so if im lazy i use a dollar
  13. SpiesInOrbit SpiesInOrbit

• Since: May 9, 2006
    Top-O-Matic Rolling Machine

Has anyone had luck with this model?

Valid YouTube URL required

The reviews are mixed and based on tobacco. Has anyone tried it with herb?