smoking stems/seeds

Discussion in 'Places and People' started by Juank, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Juank Juank

• Since: Nov 19, 2008
    Ok, so everyone says smoking stems and seeds is really bad, but what actually happens when you do?
    I've always de-stemmed my pot before smoking it, and i've never had seeds in my pot, but why is smoking stems and seeds so bad? Not that I'm doubting that it is bad, I'm just curious.
  2. daized'Nblazed daized'Nblazed

• Since: Jul 7, 2008
    Stems and seeds give you a realllyyy bad headache and a pretty shitty high if you actually get to that point... But if ya want u can make tea and drink them ;) yummy
    1 people like this.
  3. o_t00high_o o_t00high_o

• Since: Aug 21, 2008
    Seeds and stems can indeed get you high, but it takes a lot more since their THC value is way lower. They taste horrible though, and after you smoke long enough can smell if there is a seed in a blunt or bowl because they put off a particularly nasty smell when too when smoked.

So continue to pick your seeds and stems out, but if one skips by, the worse that will happen is you may end up with an unpleasant taste in your mouth. No worries.
    2 people like this.
  4. pkster8235 pkster8235

• Lazy Dancer
    • Since: Jun 27, 2007
    It's been a loooong time since I've smoked stems. They are very harsh, taste gross, and will give you only a mild high followed by a sharp headache. They aren't worth it, in my opinion.
    1 people like this.
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    Seeds contain almost no cannabinoids. Stems contain very little. You end up smoking a lot of inactive plant material that might well give you a headache, with little chance of getting much positive benefit. The only ways to get anything useful out of stems are making tea and solvent extraction.
    1 people like this.
  6. o_t00high_o o_t00high_o

I was going to say make something out of them if you absolutely want to use them. But I forgot, so thank you.
  7. Juank Juank

Cool, thanks. People I know make it seem much worse than it is I guess.
  8. Everlong2019 Everlong2019

• Since: Aug 25, 2008
    I would just like to add, im pretty sure that seeds will POP when heated up, so if they are at the bottom of your bowl you might end up popping the rest out, and if they are in a joint they might just scare you or burts a hole in your joint.
  9. o_t00high_o o_t00high_o

I have never had a joint pop a blood vessel on me, ahaha.
    It's not popcorn now.
  10. TheQuestionMark TheQuestionMark

• Since: Nov 27, 2008
    no, but it can be a pretty powerful explosion, considering how small the seeds are
  11. Up In Smoke Up In Smoke

• Since:
    The good ol' hippy grenade...

or

Try sticking an un popped corn kernel in your friends joint ;)
  12. o_t00high_o o_t00high_o

Oh yes, I know. Some seeds I have had in bowls have popped and there will be a tiny explosion.like tiny. But never had one pop a hole in my j, but maybe that's because I have never had a seed in my j.
    Eh.
  13. SmokeyMcPott SmokeyMcPott

• Since: Feb 13, 2005

Hahaha the first time that happened to me I was smoking by myself and really high, when all of a sudden there's a pop and all the rest of the weed (which was all cherry) blew out in a shower of sparks. Scared the hell outta me but it was funny.
  14. Juank Juank

Ha now I kinda want to try some schwag just because i'm curious about these explosions.
    Problem is I don't know where to find any, and I don't plan on seeking out seedy weed.
  15. Jinn Jinn

• Since: Oct 27, 2005
    About the only thing I have ever gotten from seeds has been a headache. O and I burned one of my favorite shirts when a seed popped and I didn't notice it fell on my shirt
  16. hippie557 hippie557

• Since: Dec 5, 2008
    I just had a quick question as to what is considered stems? Do ya'll consider the very small little "end" stems as I refer to them that are very hard to pick out with just fingers (i dont have a grinder)? I of course de-seed and de-stem the large stems. Maybe I should post a picture of what I'm talking about but these stems are so small is barely worth the time rooting through the bud to pick it out.
  17. locket locket

• Oodalolly
    • Since: Dec 1, 2008
    I know what you're talking about. If i'm doing it by hand, I pick out ALL the stems, little ends ones and everything. it's a pain, but I like it better without any stems. That said, if i've got someone's grinder, I just pick off all the little buds and leave the little end stems in. It doesn't make sense to pick out all the little stems if you're gonna grind cos the weed is already broken up enough.
    But i dont find the little stems make much of a difference.
    1 people like this.
  18. Neko150 Neko150

• Since: Oct 9, 2008
    I don't smoke stems/seeds.
  19. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    It all depends on how you're consuming the weed. For pipes or vapes, there's no need to be concerned about tiny pieces of stem. For joints or eating, you need to get them out (or grind them up fine). They'll poke holes in your joint or get stuck in your teeth.
    1 people like this.
  20. locket locket

• Oodalolly
    • Since: Dec 1, 2008
    for some reason, that made me laugh my ass off.