smoking with copper?

Discussion in 'Homemade Paraphernalia' started by jdubs, Oct 12, 2007.

1. jdubs jdubs

• Since: Oct 12, 2007
    last night i made a pretty nice pipe out of copper pipes.
    the whole thing is copper, including the bowl and filter
    is there anything wrong with smoking with copper? :confused:
  2. vern vern

• Since: Nov 30, 2006
    I'm not exactly sure, someone else might. However, I wouldn't recommend trying it again.
  3. sterbo sterbo

• sailor dog...
    • Since: Feb 10, 2007
    jdubs

Here is an excerpt (and link) from a post I made in response to a similar question a while back -

"Frankly, I would avoid smoking from a device where the bowl is made from metal of any kind.
    Below is just a brief example of toxicity specific ................

Copper Compounds - - copper has been found to be highly toxic to animals in test situations, but there has been little testing in industrial circumstances involving people. Fumes of copper oxide are poisonous, irritating the lungs and intestines. It causes metal fume fever; recovery is usually complete in 1 or 2 days. Eyes and skin are sensitive to copper. There is no conclusive evidence about long-term................

http://www.marijuana.com/homemade-paraphernalia/35452-aluminum-foil.html#post296451

If I were you I'd take pride in my handiwork and just keep it somewhere to admire.
    Lots of pipes out there, both inexpensive as well as costly that are more or less inert...
  4. Noeone Noeone

• Since: Apr 21, 2006
    Copper should not used in smoking devices because toxic emissions can be created by reactions with the heat and smoke. Too bad too because copper is an effective antimicrobial agent.
  5. jdubs jdubs

• Since: Oct 12, 2007
    thanks a lot.
    i'm kind of disappointed, its one of my better creations too.
    it worked really well too.
    oh well, i make new shit all the time, so its not a tragedy.
  6. chadwick chadwick

• Since: Sep 5, 2007
    ya i know copper is very toxic to people wether it is in smoking form i'd just guess that it is but i think sterbos got the right idea on this one just take pride in it but dont smoke it
  7. HerrSmokes HerrSmokes

• Since: Oct 5, 2007
    Copper and Aluminium are the main two metals of the continuing "can i smoke out of this" debate.

Copper and aluminum can both create hazardous oxide fumes when burned or subjected to heat. What this heat threshold is, i do not know. Though should these fumes be produced, you will know!

I would say, fine smoke out of the copper bowl or aluminum bowl, so long as you don't smoke from it habitually. What ever you may or may not breath in is negligible.
    Also, should the copper start to produce large amounts of its oxide, enough that is to do serious damage to you, you will know. You should be able to taste it,if the smoke tastes "metallic" then do not smoke out of that bowl anymore.

In short, smoke out of it,your fine... Would copper be my 1st choice? No it wouldn't even be my 2nd or 3rd choice. But use what you got, thats what i say.