So what is the deal? Mg per dose.

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by PaulMichaelTM, May 25, 2011.

1. PaulMichaelTM PaulMichaelTM

• Since: May 21, 2011
    So I have recently stumbled upon a dosage issue. I am in the process of making medibles for some friends, but am unsure of the proper "dosages". I know that it depends on the person, their tolerance, and other factors such as food consumption prior to "snacking", but I keep seeing "mg" being used to measure doses.

Is "mg" being used correctly?

I saw a chart saying
    "Here are my rough estimates:

5mg is threshold dose
    10mg is a mild buzz
    20mg-30mg is a mild stoner
    40mg-50mg is a very strong stoner
    60mg+ is only for those with a high tolerance; otherwise your ass is horizontal.
    "

Ohkay. Seems like a pretty legit chart considering I saw an ad for cookies with "38mg" each.

Here is where I think that people are using "mg" improperly.

If I make a batch of cannabutter with 9g of primo bud and 8oz clarified butter I will yield 1/2# of cannabutter at 1.125g of THC/ ounce.

If my cookie recipe calls for 1/2# [1 cup/8 ounces] of butter and yields 20 cookies that means that each cookie will contain roughly .45g of THC.
    There are 1000 mg in 1 g
    Thus,
    .45g x 1000 = 450mg

That is WAAAAAAY more than any dose I have seen on other medibles. Am I making Killer Cookies? [figuratively speaking, I know you can't die from pot :p ]

Or do people really mean centigrams [cg] when they are measuring?

There are 100 cenitgrams [cg] per gram [g].

Thus,
    .45g x 100 = 45cg

Which seems to match the chart above [plus all of the doses on packages] better.

Can anyone help me out with this conundrum?
    Does anyone know what's up? Am I overthinking this?

I feel it is important for me to know the proper dose before I make butter to reduce the chances of wasting my precious green.

What can I say? It's the asian in me.

>.<

2. medme medme

• Since: Feb 7, 2011
    wow,,,,its to early for all this math,, i'll have to look later...
  3. PaulMichaelTM PaulMichaelTM

• Since: May 21, 2011
    I figured it out... I think

I think I may have figured it out. I was foolish to think that just because I am using 9g of bud in my recipe that I would yield 9g of THC. Oye, I feel silly. Depending on the grade there are aprox. 12.5%-17.5% THC and other cannaboids per gram. So, if I use 9g of high grade bud it will yield 1.575g of THC or 1,575mg of THC. If I use the whole half pound of butter in a recipe and the recipe yields 20 cookies, then each cookie will contain aprox 78.75

Since I have to factor in that I may not extract ALL of the thc, then I am going to go for a ratio of 14% THC per gram of High grade bud, 12.5% for MID, and 9% for schwag.

Thus making the dose per cookie as follows:

9g x .14 = 1.26g THC
    1.26 x 1000 = 1260mg THC
    1260 mg / 20 cookies = 63mg per cookie.

FINALLY!

I couldn't even sleep last night I was so baffled by this. AND it was so simple.

Sources:

http://www.valhallaseeds.com/forums...-to-know-about-prescribing-medicinal-cannabis

Paul Hornby, Ph.D.

1.) Cases Journal 2009, 2:7487 doi: 10.1186/1757-1626-2-7487

2.) Cases Journal 2010, 3:7 doi:10.1186/1757-1626-3-7