Solvent extraction techniques

Discussion in 'The 420 Lounge' started by SmokinCool, Apr 14, 2008.

1. SmokinCool SmokinCool

• Since: Apr 12, 2008
    There doesn't seem to be an appropriate forum for this issue, so I'll post it here where there are already similar discussions.

I'm interested in discussing solvent extraction. My hunch is that solvent extraction is more thorough than making bubble hash, because I suspect there's still THC left in the herb after the trichromes are removed. I don't know this for sure, it's just a hunch.

There is an excellent book on the subject, published back in the '60s or '70s, and I've had my copy ever since then. It's called 'Cannabis Alchemy':
    Cannabis Alchemy: The Art of Modern ... - Google Book Search

You can read the essential information online. Google lets you read the first dozen or so pages of a book, which is the whole meat of this one.

A chemist who has read this book tells me that boiling herb in a solvent will alter the chemical structure of some of the THC, and recommends instead that the material be very finely pulverized and soaked for a couple days.

He also says to use only lab grade ethanol (what's in liquor, and this is 100% ultra pure) for the first stage extraction. The other alcohols have varying degrees of toxicity, methanol in particular being deadly poison. I shouldn't think it would matter if you do the second stage with pet ether, which takes the THC out of the alcohol, but that's what he says. I need to query him further on this, as the cost of lab grade ethanol is beyond my means.

Anyway, I found a two-ring hotplate at wal-farts for $30 and a galvanized steel tub at the hardware store for about $20. I could probably have gotten both these items at garage sales or thrift stores for much less, but I'm too impatient to spend days shopping around. Now I need to find the rest of the parts, and acquire a quantity of mids or homegrown shake. My guess is that this setup is only big enough to process about a qp at a time.

I'll be very interested to hear from anyone else who has done it this way.
  2. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    • Since: Feb 14, 2006
    Moved to the 420 Lounge.
    Extraction isn't cooking, and the Culinary forum is for cooking.

I'm curious to know how your extraction experiments go.... Good luck and report back w/ results.
  3. SmokinCool SmokinCool

• Since: Apr 12, 2008
    Extraction techniques of all types ought to have a forum all their own, so we can have subformums for specific techniques.

I'm interested in the pros and cons of the various fabric screens for making bubble hash. There are commercial packages ranging in price from $100 to $1000. What makes one cheaper than another? What is the quality of these various kits? Maybe we could have some reviews?

And how does someone decide the specs for fabric, and where do you get the fabric? (BIG CLUE - research screen printing)

I'm also interested in solvent extractions, especially the 2-stage type decribed in 'cannabis alchemy'.

If anybody REALLY IS doing multistage solvent extraction, I would like to purchase the worthless gunk left over with no THC left in it. (Is this is inappropriate request? I don't want my account deleted.) You see, I am a soap maker. Not that clear glycerin stuff with artsy fartsy embedded cute things in the clear block. No, I make REAL lye soap the old fashioned way, and by trial and error I've worked out a formula that gets great results everytime. I like to use very unusual materials for scent. Anyway, the first stage solvent has to be a nontoxic form of alcohol, as I will be stirring it into hot liquid soap and don't care to inhale toxic fumes.