Taking Adderall and Marijuana

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by LordIcer, Oct 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LordIcer LordIcer

• Since: Oct 17, 2001
    No, I'm not taking it at raves, it was persribed to me by my doctor for ADHD. I'm not much of an advocate for it, but I am litterally off the wall...it's not "external" ADHD, like those prick kids at your high school who are like LOOOK AT ME, it's "internal" so im just in my zone most of the time =) Anyways, I smoke a fair amount...every day unless I've got something big I have to get done, and I was wondering if I start taking this and smoke will I have wierd hallucinagenic trips (i have heard that is what happens somewhere)...and would it be alright to ask my docotor this? I'm worried he wouldn't want to give me the drugs if he knows I'm a drinker and a smoker. I guess it can kill you pretty easy if you drink while on it.
  2. Super Woman Super Woman

• Since: Oct 19, 2000
    I don't know about adderal, l but I tripped out on ritalin and smoking weed. But I wasn't taking them as percribed, well, they wern't percribed at all. Nothing horrible happened and I don't do anything else but weed anymore. Just ask your docter if it has any drug interactions. That doesn't mean you smoke, it's just a question. Nothing bad can happen..You just wanted to know.
  3. HillBilly HillBilly

• Since:
    best judgement

Howdy Lord Icer!!

You said you smoke almost daily. Chances are this will make you less prone to any weird side effects. You didn't indicate how long you've been on Adderall. My best advice is to moderate the smoking until Adderall has been in your system a while., 3-4 weeks.

Adderall can make the heart beat fast, and cause palpitations (feeling the heartbeat pound in the chest / throat) So can marijuana. To me.. a bad case of palpitations would be scarier than a trip.

Toke it slow, until you have an idea of what the combined drugs feel like. And even then, try not to over-do it. If you don't like the way they combine.. just stop smoking.

~~hb
  4. PsYcHoLoGiCaL PsYcHoLoGiCaL

• Seasoned Activist
    • Since: May 16, 2001
    Nah man, thats bull**** its not true at all.

psychological
  5. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    PsYcHo: ???? what is?

Hillbilly was right on point...as usual

Here have a cookie ;)
  6. PsYcHoLoGiCaL PsYcHoLoGiCaL

• Seasoned Activist
    I was referring to the hallucinagenic trips there is no way that aderall will cause that, and whoever told him that was wrong.

psychological
  7. krolley krolley

• Since:
    Since you have been prescribed adderall and if you are taking it in the prescribed doses then it really shouldn't have much interaction at all.

If you exceed your dose though, well .. your likely to have some pretty cool interactions i'll bet :D like MJ and dexamphetamine have some pretty cool ones.

But, you won't be tripping.
  8. PsYcHoLoGiCaL PsYcHoLoGiCaL

• Seasoned Activist
    There are ways to get speaical effects from aderall which is what alot of people have heard however none of these include a trip. Just think about that if it was true then everyone would be buying up aderall, well there already are people who buy up aderall but not in the masses you would see if you could get a trip out of it.

psychological
  9. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Thanks Psych...and Krolley... ~ cookies for you guys ;)
  10. ADR531 ADR531

• Since: Jul 22, 2001
    I would advise against combining Aderall and Marijuana. Last week I was at a friend's house and he gave me 4pills. We then continued to smoke about 10bowls of good midgrade ****. At about 3am, my eyes were wide open, and I was scared ****less. I was hearing a lot of things and it was definately different. I was talking about worthless **** for about 5hrs and had stomach cramps. I was high all the way into the next day and when I woke up the next morning, I still had a buzz. Since then smoking up isn't the same...I guess everytime I smoke up it triggers something and I get these bad anxiety attacks. It feels like my chest is going to collapse and my heart often skips a beat. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking about taking a break so don't do what I did, and know your limits.
  11. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    May I ask what you were doing experimenting with your friends medication ...let alone mixing it with a known drug?

Or did I just miss something here?
  12. LordIcer LordIcer

• Since: Oct 17, 2001
    That sounds really bad....this drug is basically controlled speed, and if not used under closely regulated conditions in conjunction with a doctor, it can cause serious health problems. Also taking such a large dose can cause massive increased heart rates and even death. It has EXTREMELY different effects on people who require it, and those who abuse it recreationally. Depending on the dose level of each pill, be fortunate you didn't experience any serious complications. You sound ALRIGHT, but take it easy. I have friends who did enough substances that can't be discussed on this board...but lets just say after their substance abuse, when they drank or smoke they would somtimes get wicked flashbacks. I believe the technical term for that is HPPD (correct me if im worng)? It can go away with time, just play it safe and do some research before you **** with your brain chemistry next time....
  13. HillBilly HillBilly

• Since:
    passive suicide?

Howdy!!

Adderral, as most amphetamines are completely absorbed within 3 hours of ingestion. In high doses it affects dopamine. Otherwise, (in recommended doses) it mainly affects norepinepherine. Norepi and dopamine work together to control mood, wakefulness, and some parts of personality, as well as cognitive functioning. Cannabis affects dopamine, ans norepinepherine as well as other neurotransmitters.

So does cannabis and Adderral interact? You bet'cha!

The experiments we have today will probably kick us in the teeth in 10-20 years from now. Heck.. I have dealt with several people in their 30's and 40's.. And believe me, in the big scheme of things, that's still young... who can barely complete sentences because they have just flat-out drugged themselves retarded.

Be careful, respect yourself.

~~hb

Mama, your cookies are making me fat, may I have another?
  14. Slick Slick

• Since:
    Ok, it is safe, just a little too intense for some people. I know it is safe, becuase I have taken Adderal/Dexedrine with herb for years. By prescription, of course. :) No hallucinogenic trip. If you were to use it to the point of staying up for days you might have sleep deprevation hallucinations.
  15. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Okay folks lets get this straight.

Adderall is a medication to treat ADHD..it is an amphetemine just like Ritalin and that means speed, uppers.

It is formulated so that it is time released, allowing a once a day dosing which is terrific for folks with ADHD, especially kids, casue they don't have to stress over whether they have to take another pill or not.

Can you still smoke if you are taking Adderall.. Read Hillbilly's answer.

LET ME MAKE THIS PERFECTLY CLEAR:
    This is not a forum to decide what kind of other drugs -- prescription, street, designer or what Mama makes in her herbal room -- can *effect* your marijuana high. Got it? Good!

Glad we cleared that up....

~ have a cookie ;)
  16. Slick Slick

• Since:
    adderal isn't time released. At least all the time I have been on it I take it more than once a day. Concerta(sp?) is time released though...
  17. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Adderall is a time released amphetemine.

Your doctor may prescribe a larger dosage to you based on your size, metabolism or treatment resistant ADD/ADHD.
  18. McBiff McBiff

• Since:
    Please read this whole thing, trust me.

well, Adderall is actually not time release, it is a combination of 4 types of amphetamine salts that kick in not within 3 hours but peak within one hour to an hour and 1/2. They prescribe a second dose always, sometimes a third during the day to prevent the "crash". they may have come out with a time release adderall, but when I was prescribed the so-called medication (got it a year and 1/2 ago, finally off the **** about 3 weeks ago for good.) there wasn't a time release form. You may be thinking of ritalin time-release. I'm not trying to sound like a punk correcting anybody, just trying to educate i guess. I've done much research on the stuff in the time i was taking it...

First of all, (I know you're gonna think I'm a dumbass) but please don't take a chance with this crap. It's TOO decieving. The clinic that I went to was U.S. RENOUNED, and they lied straight to my face about a number of things just to get me hooked on legal tweak. The ADD medication sales are *booming* and they're loving it. (you ever heard of the Amen clinic? Ya know, the one that's so well known for it's SPECT brain scans? That's where I went.) Is it effective? **** YES it is. Is it addictive? 10 times more so. From what the doctor told you, you already think I'm full of ****, I know cause I've been there and had to learn the hard way.

Second, the prescribed dose (even the blue ten milligram tablets) WILL get you high if you pop one without a tolerance. And they prescribe up to 150 milligrams a day, that's INSANE. That's like taking seven and a half of my 20 mg pills in a day. When I was going on and off of my addictions with it (abusing it pretty badly after a year or so of taking it the right way) the MOST I ever took in a day was seven or so. And I had a pretty damn high tolerance too. One time my friend asked for a couple ( I know it's irresponsible) and he said it was for a test, he'd never taken them before. He actually took 2 and 1/2 and said he was FLYING off them for hours.
    They do make you start out slow, with 5 mg and build up to 20 or so in about a week, so you don't notice it as much. But, you definately will have to increase the dose eventually as I did (due to innefectiveness after a while) and you WILL get very high off the stuff eventually too. It's so decieving, because it's SO helpful, and makes you feel like a better person, and makes you just feel great. When it starts to come down, a wave of sadness comes over you and the main priority is: more. all you can think about when you start to come down is more. It starts out slow, but I have never known ANYBODY including myself who was prescribed it and didn't eventually have big problems with it. After about 6 months, I asked my doctor if I could increase to 3 pills in the morning and he said sure I could. (keep in mind this was still when I was taking it for the "right" reasons). About eigth months after being prescribed I was abusing it daily and in denial.
    I was jonesing on it for months, until I became a flat-out tweaker on the stuff. I felt absurdly motivated, so alive, etc, until that time when I started gettting anti-social and paranoid. I would commonly stay up all night on it, entertaining myself. As long as I was by myself, I was fine. I didn't want to come down.

Well it finally got to the point where I was ditching school all the time, and if I had nowhere to go I would just drive. I didn't want to be at school, I thought all my friends weren't my friends and everyone was talking about me. I was drinking at night in order to get about 3-4 hours max of sleep every night that I actually did sleep. I got super paranoid and my grades fell drastically.
    I eventually started going to homeschool which I now regret.

Well I finally decided to tell my dad I had a big problem with it and told him to throw it away. he didn't. i was off for 2 months and feeling great, although I was FREQUENTLY DRINKING BY MYSELF AND HAVING THOUGHTS ABOUT DOING COKE. then I found the adderall again and had a couple more bouts with it that lasted a couple weeks or so, and I myself finally just ran out of it and said enough is enough.

Wel it's been like 3 weeks since the last time I took it and I'm doing better. I've realised although it's extremely effective in making me pay attention (for hours on end) and not space out all the time, it's just not worth it one bit. You CAN'T escape the high you get off it, and you eventually will want it for that.
    I am the exact same type as you. I space out all the time and can't pay attention but I'm pretty mellow and not hyperactive at all. And i'm telling you it's not worth it in the long run.

I know, again, probably a lot of people on here are going to persecute me for this, and that's the way it goes. I was told this exact same thing by people and I thought it was totally absurd. It just takes time before you realise it's messing up your life in the long run. It IS true what they say about the meds leading to illegal stimulants and it IS true that you'll be more dependant on drugs in the long run, no matter what they say. Think about it.

And as for combining bud with the adderall, definately don't do that. it's no fun, believe me. It takes the adderall down and at the same time barely gets you stoned at all. just paranoid and edgy with a clenched jaw. uppers with downers, bad stuff.

all I can say is, word of the wise - there is NO good purpose for amphetamines in the long run. just money making, i've read all about it. they act like it's a godsent drug with barely any side effects and that's far from the truth. I'm just glad now that i'm not gonna do cocaine and i'm not drinking by myself as much to compensate for the high. the thought still comes up, but hey. live and learn.
  19. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    Well said...

McBiff: Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. That is what this board is for. YOur personal experience will far exceed what I can find from the pharmeceutical compnay listed on their cite. My info was that it was a double whammy of speed. Your information was PRICELESS!

Don't ever feel persecuted when telling the truth. The truth is empowering..and to quote, the Truth shall set you free.

And with that THIS THREAD IS CLOSED
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.