THC as a suitable opioid-withdrawal replacement for methadone/buprenorphine

Discussion in 'Medicinal Marijuana' started by ssj3gotenks, Oct 30, 2007.

1. ssj3gotenks ssj3gotenks

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    hello everyone,

One thing we never hear about when it comes to the medical properties of our sacred herb is that it can ease withdrawals in people coming off, say for example, oxycodone (the ingredient in Mr. Limbaugh's favorite drug, OxyContin).

Now for you all who have no idea what it's like coming off of painkillers after being addicted to them, it's not fun. For me, the most common withdrawal symptoms were...

1. Irritability
    2. Stomach aches
    3. Intense cravings for more
    4. When I was at my worst point, highly bothersome cold sweats

So what got me hooked on painkillers in the first place? A couple years ago, I was arrested for misd possession of marijuana and put on probation for a year. I was subjected to random urine testing (even though I was never tested, I abstained anyway). Well, it turns out that my doctor at the time wanted me to undergo wisdom tooth surgery and prescribed me Demerol. Knowing that if anything was prescribed legitimately by a doctor, it was cool with the probation office. I also new that such pills leave the body in 3 days or less.

Anyways, so having been told that methadone is more addictive than OC's, and suboxone being another opioid, and not to mention not wanting to have to pay for treatment and my loved ones finding out about where +$30,000 of the money i retained in my bank account went, I decided to think about other options. Now when I was abusing pain pills, I was also smoking mj and cigs while taking my prescribed sleeping medicine. Note that the sleeping medicine is in the same class of drugs as Xanax and Valium, which can be lethal when combined with other depressants such as opioids.

Well once having realized that it was time to end this cycle of excessive spending, I decided to as I said look for other options. When I decided to replace painkillers with dank mj, I was very impressed. The following withdrawal symptoms mentioned above were affected in a new way

1. Irritability - ABSOLUTELY ELIMINATED! This helped a lot.

2. Stomach Aches - I noticed whenever I had an upset stomach and then smoked a bowl, the aches would minimize themselves to the point where I didn't notice them. However, for some odd reason if I smoked a cigarette after, it would get a little worse.

3. Cravings - During the first week of abstinence, I had many mental cravings. Physical withdrawal symptoms (other than stomach aches) were not too bad towards the end of my painkiller abuse days because I wasn't taking in nearly as much. But whenever I felt the need to call up my OC dealer, I would hit the bowl and usually the craving would subside. Sometimes it wouldn't go away completely, so I would smoke a little more. As week 1 passed, the cravings diminished.

In the beginning of my "customized detox", I smoked more herb than I did the following weeks. I am glad I did too, as this plan ended up working.

-------------

I'd love to hear any responses to this post. I have always disagreed with the way most treatment centers and 12-step programs operate.
    .Shorty. likes this.
  2. Noeone Noeone

• Since: Apr 21, 2006
    Congratulations on kicking the pain killers and I'm glad marijuana helped you.

Also if you are interested in alternative addiction treatment there's some good stuff
    here
  3. Dedbr Dedbr

• Domestic War Veteran
    • Since: Mar 24, 2001
    As herb is an analgesic, of course it will help with the withdrawal, or "dope sick" as it commonly referred to around here. Also, alcohol, but I wouldn't wish that on anyone....:nono:

As far as any other replacement therapy, tho, caution should be used to not just replace one with another. Methadone can be even more addictive than the drugs it try's to replace.

Twelve step programs are not really effective, the rate of recovery is one in thirty-seven stay sober the first year..........not a real high success rate, sports fans.....:D

Stick with it and more power to ya. The worst thing I ever quit was cigarettes, and it almost drove me over the edge........I did what you did, tho.....I fogged away the cravings.........;)

Some Where In Ded Land.............Puff, Puff........Pass.....:toocool:
  4. ssj3gotenks ssj3gotenks

• Since: Mar 2, 2004
    Thanks bro.

I wanna add somethin else too. As mentioned in my original post, I went through a lot of money. When people ask me how much did I spend total (keeping in mind i'm in my early 20's) and I tell them over $30,000, they're all like "OMG!"... But the way I see it, it's never "too late" to quit using hard drugs. Knock on wood, which I just did lol, there haven't been any disastrous consequences of this, since I do a pretty good job being self-supportive. I mean, it could of been $60,000 or $100,000 (ya right i don't have that much).

Thus, I believe...
    THC saved my life (can i get a quote for that? ):laugh:
  5. .Shorty. .Shorty.

• Since: May 20, 2012
    Yes This is truth before i was on heroin smoke on aluminium foil 6-7 years i and i take methadone for stop the heroin when i was on H i cant smoke marijuana because the H effect get strong from Thc but with the methadone i have control and i smoke because from the metadhone i dont havе аppetite and feel like i puke but with marijuana i eat 7-8 times at day a drink lot juice and water i did not vomit and fall sleep well i i cured with thc i dont take methadone 12 days but i have little problem my heart start beatin up fast why and i feel tightness in the chest do you have the same problem i have the others simpthoms of withdraw .Please Help sory i forgot i stop the methadone my custom way take 100mg 5 months and then 1 day 50 mg 2day 39mg 3day 20 mg and stop for 4 days and i take it from friend not at program for addicted Sory For my bad English
  6. Takenatoke Takenatoke

• Since: May 20, 2012
    Hi.
    I myself owe deep gratitude to our BUD as well. I was addicted to Vicodin and Norco for almost 4 years. I had multiple prescriptions from multiple doctors, and got away with it no problem. Now I need pain relief pretty much all the time from Fibromyalgia, arthritis, back problems and a very messed up knee. But at my worst point i was taking 12 750mg Vicodin's and even stronger Norco's. a day. Utilizing Cannabis I was able to get through a very scary time for me. I knew I had a problem but was terrified to stop because of the dependency and fear of withdrawal from those evil things. You will still feel withdrawal symptoms but have a little smoke and for me the symptoms just eased up. Hope this helps.
  7. mischatman mischatman

• Since: Nov 18, 2012
    I'm going to try this way to get off pain meds, thank you for the info on what you did it gives me hope that I can do this, and weed is so much healthier than pills, had my surgery so now after three years I want off pain meds, so here I go, thank you for the hope
  8. Steve Cool Steve Cool

• Tokemaster General
    • Since: Jan 25, 2011

Colombia Hopes Marijuana Will Help Addicts Kick Hard Drug Habit

Fox News Latino

The Colombian government is testing a new tactic to wean addicts of synthetic drugs, a moe that has some people praising the effort while other claiming it’s a dopey idea.

In the upcoming weeks, officials in the country's capital, Bogotá, will begin a program giving marijuana to addicts of bazuco -- a cheap form of cocaine made out of drug residue mixed with kerosene and sulfuric acid that gives users a crack-like high and a heroin-like addiction.

Researchers working on the project hope to help addicts kick their habit by easing them off the harder substance by using marijuana, which they suspect will be less addictive.

“I had tried other drugs before that, but the addiction caused by bazuco is truly uncontrollable,” Javier Cortés García, a former addict, told the website InfosurHoy. “The five months I lived on the streets, I couldn’t even remember who I was – all I wanted was bazuco to somehow satisfy the craving – a craving that never ends until the next fix. It’s really like living a nightmare, but you’re wide awake.”

here are an estimated 7,500 bazuco users among the city's 9,500 homeless people. Over the last three years 227 homeless people have been murdered in Bogotá and there have been complaints of bazuco users turning neighborhoods into wastelands.

“People accuse us of turning bazuco addicts into marijuana addicts but that’s an urban myth,” Ruben Dario Ramirez, director of the Center for the Study and Analysis of Coexistence and Security, which is spearheading the project, according to the Miami Herald. “This program is about reducing personal harm and the risks to society.”

In Colombia, as well as in the United States, marijuana is viewed by many as a “gateway drug” that leads users to harder substances such as cocaine and heroin. Members working on the project argue that the initiative is not about stopping drug use as a whole, but attempting to make bazuco users functioning members of society.

“This project is not aimed at getting people to quit using,” said Julián Andrés Quintero, the head of Acción Técnica Social, a non-profit that is working on the initiative. “This is about reducing risks and mitigating the damage. We want people to quit a substance that is very, very damaging and transition to something less dangerous and which will allow them to function in society.”

Researchers cite the successes of similar programs in Canada, Brazil and Jamaica as proof that the initiative will succeed in Colombia. A 2002 study of crack users in Jamaica found that of 14 women surveyed who gave up the drug, 13 attributed to smoking marijuana, according to the Iowa College of Nursing.

Critics of the program say that the researchers are getting high of their own supply and just replacing one addiction with another.

“This plan is completely absurd,” said Augusto Pérez, the director of Nuevos Rumbos, a Colombian think-tank that researches drugs and addiction. “It’s as if they didn’t know that everyone that smokes bazuco already smokes marijuana. By giving them marijuana, all they will be doing is saving the (addicts) money so they can buy more bazuco.”

“I give this program zero probabilities of working,” he added, according to the Herald.
    Source: