The origins of the word 'pot'

Discussion in 'Strains and Definitions' started by broomhdj, Jun 10, 2003.

1. broomhdj broomhdj

• Since: Jan 22, 2003
    Hi all.
    I couldn't search for a thread like this as 'pot' does not make the 4 letter cut for searching.

So....
    Does anybody know the origins of the word 'pot' (meaning marijuana, not the things you cook with)?

It is not an obvious nickname for marijuana like 'weed', so I was wondering.... why 'pot'?

Anybody know??? Thanks!
  2. Devio Devio

• Banned
    • Since: Dec 1, 2002
    Im not sure where it came from but i personally hate that word. It sounds so Narcish. Like if someone is asking me if i have some "pot" im like no you dirty narc i only smoke the herbal remedy.
  3. teco teco

• Since: May 3, 2003
    all i know is marijuana is a spanish word:D.
  4. SkinnyP SkinnyP

• Since: Sep 30, 2002
    Pot

Introduced in the 1940s for any sort of cannabis. Derived either from Mexican-Indian word potiguaya, the container from which it is inhaled, or from poteen, Irish pot whiskey.
  5. woshbosh woshbosh

• Since: Sep 19, 2002
    i hate that word too, it's SO narc, almost as bad as "dope"
  6. beats beats

• Since: Jan 11, 2003
    I like the work pot. I like grass, or herb better. Hate the word dope though.

Hmm. Just a guess but maybe it was a international game of "telephone"

marihauna, marijuana, mary-jane, mary-jane cleaning pots, mary-jane pot, pot

I'm a Genius :D
  7. Dutch Zin Dutch Zin

• Banned
    • Since: May 20, 2003
    potty mouth

sounds weird, now to me. Its american. I doubt its from 'Potin', homebrew alcohol,made from potatoes_

pot =means to me flat press or rocky hashish.

we don't say, 'pot' its wiet, nederwiet.
  8. broomhdj broomhdj

I also don't particularly like the word 'pot'. It does kinda sound narcish.

Anyway, thanks SkinnyP! Exactly the type of answer I was looking for. :thumbsup:
  9. EeJay EeJay

• Since: Apr 11, 2001
    Actually, if you add an asterisk at the end of your three letter word (ie "pot*"), you can search it, and it will give you the results you want. But goodluck sifting through every post that has the word "pot" in them, maybe use additional words as well.
  10. SkinnyP SkinnyP

• Since: Sep 30, 2002
    Dope is a great word!

But rip would be the best terminology for marijuana.

Weed and pot are by far the worst terms.
  11. vaya vaya

• Activist
    • Since: Jun 20, 2002
    I like ganja, green, herb, bud, bomb-ass chronic:D

I however dislike, very much, weed, pot, dope, and any other verbally condescending terms for cannabis. Condescending to my ear, at the very least.
  12. EeJay EeJay

• Since: Apr 11, 2001
    Hmm, I like weed. It's my most commonly used marijuana term i'd say.

That said, I don't like basically every other word for weed, especially pot, dope, grass and chronic.

My favourite words would probably be choof (can me "to smoke" or "marijuana"), moke ("to smoke") and billy(s) ("bong" or "cones").
  13. Bubbles25 Bubbles25

• Since: Jun 10, 2003
    i hate all thos old 70s words like mary jane, pot, dope, wacky tobbacy. I cant stand to hear anyone say any of those.
  14. Barker Barker

• Cunt.
    • Since: Aug 17, 2002
    Dope really annoys me:mad:

Its like "you smoke dope" sorta of a put down phrase aint it.
  15. broomhdj broomhdj

This wasn't supposed to be a "I hate this word", "I like this word instead" thread. It was supposed to be about the origins of the word 'pot'. SkinnyP answered my question, so I guess you guys might as well change the topic to whatever you like, though.

We all have our preferences. I personally prefer 'weed' or just plain 'marijuana', and I never say 'pot' or 'chronic' or anything else.
  16. Feorge Gorman Feorge Gorman

• Since: Aug 15, 2001
    I don't really DIS-like the word 'pot'...

...as I've been using it for longer than I can remember.

Another term I enjoy using from time-to-time would be 'herbal refreshment'! It says it all for ME! :D

pOOn :cool:
  17. ManMulcahey ManMulcahey

• Wilson, King of Prussia
    • Since: Apr 24, 2003
    i hate when people say 'dope' it makes me think of heroine. "Yeah man i just smoked some dope"
  18. im grumpy im grumpy

• Since: Apr 17, 2003
    When I was really young, we were driving in a car and a slightly older friend said 2 kids we just passed were smoking pot. I went home and told my mom I saw kids smoking pot. She said "How did you know" and I said "Cus they had a big pot" (as in cooking pot) lol...I didn't know what the hell I was talking about.
  19. richpull10 richpull10

• Banned
    • Since: Jul 9, 2003
    Dope is the best word, I like to be able to say i smoke dope, because its what the narcs use its fun. Try it, even though you might feel like marijuana is being put in the wrong light by calling it dope. Reefer is another word that they used in the early prohibition ages. I like to say i smoked a fat reefer of dope and then i had psychotic breaks and did decadent deeds of debauchery.
  20. FadedToBlack FadedToBlack

• Since: Jun 12, 2003
    I like "weed". I never say dope, pot, grass, or trees.