The Recipe Thread (NON-CANNABIS RECIPES)

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by Vicki, Oct 27, 2007.

1. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    • Since: Dec 8, 2004
    I decided to make a recipe thread so I can share recipes, and hopefully others will as well. :) Please post your recipes, if you are willing to share. ;)

I'll go ahead and post the Slow Berry Cobbler recipe here as my first recipe, in case it was missed elsewhere:

Slow Berry Cobbler

**You can use biscuit mix for the baking mix, and I add a dash of nutmeg as well.

Filling:
    1 (10-ounce) bag frozen strawberries
    1 (10-ounce) bag frozen blueberries
    1 (10-ounce) bag frozen raspberries
    1/3 to 2/3 cup sugar, depending on your level of preferred sweetness
    1/2 cup baking mix
    Topping:
    2 1/4 cups baking mix
    1/4 cup sugar, plus 1/4 cup
    4 tablespoons butter, melted
    1/2 cup milk
    2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Spray the insert of a slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
    In a large mixing bowl, toss together all the frozen fruit, sugar and 1/2 cup baking mix. Transfer the fruit to the slow cooker. In another large mixing bowl, stir together 2 1/4 cups baking mix, 1/4 cup sugar, melted butter and milk with a wooden spoon. With your hands, drop bits of dough on top of the fruit in the slow cooker. In a small mixing bowl, stir together the remaining 1/4 cup sugar and ground cinnamon. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar on top of the dough and place the lid on the slow cooker. Turn the power onto high and slow cook for 3 to 4 hours until the topping has puffed and the fruit is bubbling.

Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
    6 people like this.
  2. 1tokeovertheline 1tokeovertheline

• Since: Feb 15, 2006
    I think this thread is a good idea. We all like to eat.:) My wife had me print out your recipe and she is going to try it sometime.
    Thanks for the recipe.
    1 people like this.
  3. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    You'll have to report back and let us know how you like it. :)

I decided to do something different this time with the Berry Cobbler. I mixed some cinnamon and nutmeg into the biscuit mix that goes on top of the berries, in addition to the sprinkling on top. I think it will taste better.
  4. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    Basic peanut butter cookie recipe

This is the basic peanut butter cookie recipe that I follow. I have used light brown sugar, and it works as well.

Peanut Butter Cookies

1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
    1/2 cup dark brown sugar
    1 large egg, room temperature
    3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
    1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    Pinch of fine salt
    Granulated sugar, as needed

In an electric mixer, fitted with the paddle attachment, or with a hand-held electric mixer, combine the butter and brown sugar on low speed until just incorporated. Raise the speed to high and mix until light and fluffy, about 10 minutes. (Occasionally turn the mixer off, and scrape the sides of the bowl down with a rubber spatula.)
    Add the egg and peanut butter and continue mixing until fully incorporated.

Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.

Reduce the speed of the mixer to low and add the flour mixture. Raise the speed to medium and mix briefly until a smooth dough is formed. Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate until firm.

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheet pans with parchment paper. Using a 2-teaspoon-sized ice cream scoop, melon baller, or your hands, form the dough into about 50 small balls. Put sugar on a pie plate or dish. Roll the dough balls in the sugar to coat lightly. Arrange the dough about an inch apart on the prepared pans.

Using the tines of a fork, flatten the dough balls slightly, while making cross-hatch marks on their tops. Bake the cookies in batches, turning the pans once, until lightly browned, about 15 minutes per batch. Let the cookies cool slightly on the baking sheets, and then transfer to racks to cool completely. Store in a sealed container.
    2 people like this.
  5. 29yeartoker 29yeartoker

• Since: Aug 10, 2005
    Okay Vicki, I'm getting fat and I can see my husband to be will get fat also. Got some good dinner recipes? The sweets are great, but I need to learn how to cook some dinner dishes.
  6. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    Chicken entree

Here is a recipe I converted into an entree for dinner the other night. I kept boneless/skinless chicken breasts whole, and wrapped them in Havarti cheese and Prosciutto, and baked for about 30 minutes at 350 degrees. I also used real garlic.

6 boneless chicken breasts, each cut into 3 (1 1/2-inch) wide strips
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 small wheel herb cheese (about 5 ounces) (recommended: Boursin)
    18 slices prosciutto, thinly sliced
    Special equipment: Bamboo skewers

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
    Season chicken with pepper and garlic powder. "Weave" a bamboo skewer through the length of each chicken strip (as you would run a straight pin through fabric). Divide the cheese into even amounts for the chicken strips and spread on the surface of the chicken. Then wrap each chicken strip with a slice of the prosciutto and place on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake until done.
  7. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    What I'm cooking tonight...

This is what I am going to make for dinner tonight. :) I am going to use a Rotini pasta because that is what I have on hand. I have some proscuitto left, and some fresh basil. I do have roasted red peppers, and will add those, but I'll be omitting the chiles because my stomach can't handle spicy food. I'll probably also add some frozen vegetables, whatever I have in the freezer. I keep tons of frozen vegetables and fruits in the big freezer just so I'll have them for recipes. :)

Garlic Chicken Pasta with Prosciutto

1/4 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup minced garlic
    5 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
    4 ounces prosciutto, cut into small pieces
    4 chicken breasts, grilled and cut into strips or cubes 2 pounds
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup fresh basil, sliced into small strips
    3/4 pound linguine
    1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan or Romano
    5 roasted pasilla chiles, peeled, seeded and cut into strips
    2 roasted red peppers, peeled, seeded cut into strips
    Fresh basil, chiffonade for garnish

Heat oil in a large skillet and saute garlic until soft and light brown. Add tomatoes, proscuitto, chicken and butter; saute for about 5 to 10 minutes. Add basil, and saute for another 5 minutes. In a stockpot, bring water to boil and cook linguine until firm, al dente. Drain pasta and transfer to a bowl, add the chicken/tomato mixture, chiles, roasted peppers, and grated cheese; toss gently to combine. Sprinkle with basil and serve.
  8. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    Fettuccini Alfredo with Prosciutto and Peas

Fettuccini Alfredo with Prosciutto and Peas Recipe: Recipes: Food Network

Fettuccini Alfredo with Prosciutto and Peas

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    2 shallots, minced
    1 teaspoon minced garlic
    1 cup heavy cream
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    1/4 pound prosciutto, julienned
    1 cup frozen peas, thawed
    1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, plus more for garnish
    1 pound fresh fettuccini

Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add shallots and garlic and saute for a couple minutes or until tender. Add cream and cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Add prosciutto and peas and toss gently to combine. Sprinkle cheese over top and stir to melt and combine. Cook until heated through.
    In a large pot of boiling salted water, add fettuccini and cook until al dente, just a couple minutes for fresh pasta. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup pasta water. Add the reserved pasta water and drained fettucini to skillet. Toss to combine pasta with sauce and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve, garnished with extra cheese.
    1 people like this.
  9. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    Something different for Thanksgiving, or whenever. :)

This recipe is very easy, about as easy as the chocolate mousse! :D

**Pumpkin pie spice contains Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Ginger and Allspice.

Pumpkin Mousse

1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
    3 cups heavy cream
    3/4 cup fine granulated sugar
    1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    Ginger snaps, for garnish

Combine pumpkin, 1 cup cream, sugar and spice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat for 5 minutes. Cool fully.
    Whip remaining heavy cream and vanilla to soft peaks and fold into cooled pumpkin mixture. Pour into a serving dish and crumble the ginger snaps over top before serving.
  10. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    One more for Thanksgiving. :)

For people who want less work when they cook a turkey. :)

Do Nothing Turkey

1 (10 to 12-pound) fresh turkey
    1/4 cup olive oil
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    2 celery ribs

Preheat oven 350 degrees F.
    Discard bag of gizzards from inside the cavity and rinse the cavity of the turkey with cold water. Pat dry and rub the olive oil, salt and pepper all over the bird and oil the inside of the cavity. Place the celery on shallow roasting pan and place the turkey on top of the celery. Roast until golden brown, about 2 hours. Cover the breast loosely with foil when golden brown. Cook until an instant-read thermometer registers 165 degrees F in the thigh of the turkey, which will take about 30 minutes more.

Transfer to a cutting board to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
  11. Ler Ler

• Since: Aug 7, 2007
    I love this thread..... I'll see if I can find anything to post.
  12. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    I'm trying to post recipes that are not extremely difficult to make, or have a person in the kitchen for a long time. I don't like to be in the kitchen all day myself, so I like to keep things fairly easy.

I haven't decided if I'm going to make a peach crumble dessert later this week, or if I'll make a cinnamon crumb cake. When I decide, I'll post the recipe. :)
  13. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    Shepherd's Pie

I made this for dinner yesterday. :)

Shepherd's Pie

1 small onion
    1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
    1 1/2 cups mixed vegetables or niblet corn, prepared
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    8 to 10 medium red new potatoes
    1 1/2 cups milk
    12 tablespoons butter
    1/2 cup sour cream
    2 cups instant biscuit mix

Beef Layer: Saute onions in 2 tablespoons butter. Add ground beef. After beef is browned, add tomato sauce; Mix in vegetables. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
    Potato Layer: Peel and slice potatoes 1/4-inch thick. Cook in boiling water for approximately 15 minutes or until fork-tender. Whip potatoes with electric mixer; mix until moderately smooth. Don't over beat them; a few lumps are nice. Add 1/2 cup heated milk, 1/2 cup butter, and sour cream. Salt and pepper, to taste. Whip until mixed. Adjust thickness by adding more milk, if desired.

Biscuit Layer: Combine biscuit mix and 1 cup milk. The mix should be thinner than normal biscuit mix but not runny.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Spray a 9 by 9 by 2-inch pan, or any similar casserole dish. Layer half way up with the mashed potatoes. Next, spread a layer of mixed vegetables or niblet corn on top of potatoes. Then add a layer of the meat. Pour biscuit mix over meat. Melt 4 tablespoons of butter and drizzle over top. Bake for approximately 35 to 45 minutes until top is golden brown.

Note: Leftovers make this dish easy to put together. So if you have leftover pork roast or beef roast with gravy and mashed potatoes from Sunday dinner then this is an easy mid- week meal that will take only a few minutes.
  14. Firefox Firefox

• Since: Nov 1, 2007
    Well I'm 19 and live in a dorm and the closest thing I get to cooking is Ramen, but I think this thread is really cool and it makes me very hungry. Even without munchie inducing influences haha
  15. Zaireeka Zaireeka

• Since: Sep 13, 2007
    Agreed, right now I envy all those college kids with apartments their parents are paying for. Stupid dorms.....:(
  16. Firefox Firefox

Yeah, for sure. Actually it's suite style residence, so there is a kitchen it's just...buried in pizza boxes and alcohol bottles. And dried peanut butter. And bags of trash. Everyone used the kitchen for like the first two weeks so it got dirty and now we just avoid it. Where are you going to school?
  17. psych0chik psych0chik

I'm a recovering chef, I will add to this when I have my recipe book and box in front of me !! :D
  18. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    Peach Crumble

Peach Crumble

2 cups thawed frozen peaches
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/3 cup rolled oats
    2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
    Arrange peaches in the bottom of a shallow baking dish; set aside.

In a small bowl, combine flour, oats, oil, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Stir with a fork until mixture is crumbly, adding more oil if necessary. Fold in nuts. Sprinkle topping over peaches and bake 15 minutes, until golden brown.
  19. 1tokeovertheline 1tokeovertheline

• Since: Feb 15, 2006
    I like the Peach Crumble and the Shepard's Pie. I don't know if it is the same recipe that 1/2Toke uses or not.

It would have been a lot easier to just click the "Thank You" button.:rolleyes:
    1 people like this.
  20. Vicki Vicki

• Cat Whisperer
    More Thanksgiving-something different

Easy Cheesy Mashed Potatoes

2 lb. Yukon gold potatoes (about 5 medium), unpeeled, cubed
    1/4 cup milk
    2 oz. VELVEETA Pasteurized Prepared Cheese Product, cut up
    1 green onion, thinly sliced

PLACE potatoes in large saucepan. Add enough water to completely cover potatoes. Bring to boil on medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer 15 min. or until potatoes are tender. Drain potatoes; return to saucepan.

MASH potatoes until light and fluffy, gradually adding milk alternately with the VELVEETA. SPRINKLE with the onions.

**Jazz it up more by adding crumbled bacon.