TINCTURE

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by SotallyTober, Mar 29, 2005.

1. SotallyTober SotallyTober

• Since: Mar 29, 2005
    Im from humboldt county CALI, I know some old hippies that made a tinksure that was insane, one drop from an eye dropper bottle got you ****ed. I was young then and didn't have the resources to try it out. Im a little better off with my 4000 watts. Anyways I went to oregon bought some EverClear 190 proof, rough stuff. I poured out 1/4 of the bottle to make room for the bud. I put straight buds in the bottle until i couldn't fit anymore, then put it in my freezer and it has sat there for about a week now. The liquor is completely dark green. My gf says she read somewhere good tinksure only needs about 2 weeks, the killer stuff the hippies made supposedly had been going for 2 years. 6 more weeks and i'll have more bud to throw away basically :). Im going to dump the bottle through a silkscreen into another bottle so that the used bud stays and the alchohol/crystals seep into the new bottle. Then im gonna fill it up with bud again and let it sit for the next 8 weeks until i get more bud again. Then repeat and repeat until I have a tinksure that only takes one ****ing drop to get you ****ed.

Im doubting anybody has done this, to such an extent but I want good ****,
    and im willing to use however much chronic it takes to make. If I can get the **** strong enough, I won't need brownies or smoke I can just take a drop and be done. Im from one of the pot capitals of the world so Im not using no mex to make this, humboldt county kill only.

Thanks for the educated input and no thanks to the 99% bull**** ppl post on these forums, I know the **** sounds good I want advice not praise. So kids keep your opinions to yourself and horticulturists chime in.

Thanks
  2. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    Kids? First off, it's a tincture. Second, there's two methods to use: the warm and cold method. You're using the cold method, which (in my opinion) is the better one because it preserves the integrity of the cannabinoids. A good rule of thumb is 1 pint of 190-200 proof ethanol (like Everclear) for every ounce of cannabis. Since you bought a fifth (which is two pints), you should put two ounces of bud in there. What you should have done is put the bud in the freezer for 24-48 hours and then put it in a coffee grinder to break it up as fine as possible. Put that powder into the bottle (which should also be in the freezer) and make sure to leave some headroom on top of the bottom. It's a good idea to get a seperate container like a mason jar because you have to use all the liquid in the bottle. You then need to shake the container daily for about 5 minutes. You can do this for as long as you want, but I would suspect that there is a saturation point where no more THC/cannabinoids can be extracted anymore. 3 months (if you are patient) would be pretty good, and when the time is right, strain using a cheesecloth (make sure you wear gloves though because it's going tob e very potent).

If your resulting liquid is a dark green that means there is too much plant material in there and you didn't strain it right. It should be (with 95% ethanol solution) a pale green to golden color. Quality of bud also plays a role in the final color, but the straining method is the most important. Since you are using Everclear, make sure you put some flavorings in the final product like vanilla or orange (in fact, throw some orange zest in the bottle when you first start, or mix in orange, lemon, and lime zest to really kick it up).

The other method, the warm method, requires a light-proof container (or at least a brown paper bag to put around the container). You need to do the same as above w/ the same amount of bud/liquid (but don't put it in the freezer). Put your container in a warm spot (near your window) inside the paper bag (unless you have a light-proof container). Strain with cheesecloth and store in a dropper bottle (again, light-proof). To serve, just drop a couple drops into some cranberry juice or whatever you want. Store in your refrigerator too. The key here is light: avoid it!

I've never done the warm method, but it is how they made tinctures back in the day. The heat from the sun might play an important role (just like you can make alcohol by putting some blueberries and sugar in a glass jar and letting it sit in view of the sun).

Now, if you REALLY want a potent tincture, what you would want to do is reduce your tincture (from above) by heating it over an electric stove (to avoid fire). You can reduce your fifth down to a pint which would double the strength from the previous tincture (a 2:1 ratio).
  3. Dpicer Dpicer

• Since: May 24, 2004
    What would be an appropriate dose with the Cold Tincture?
  4. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    That's a tough question to answer because I don't know the THC percentage of the original bud. What I would do is start with a tablespoon at a time and wait until you feel the effects. If you don't notice anything, add another tablespoon. Keep going until you get a good "feel" for what works for you or not. An ounce of bud though done via the cold method (using seedless bud) is going to be pretty good and strong too. I would definately dillute it though unless of course you fancy the taste of nail polish [which is exactly what Everclear smells and tastes like :laugh:]
  5. Dpicer Dpicer

haha gotta love corn liquor

I'm thinkin about making a solid pint of this
    mixin up some jungle juice in a big cooler
    and partyin'
    how fast will this hit you-
    should my guests expect to be flying within 30 minutes?
  6. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    I would use an entire fifth instead of a pint if you are going to make jungle juice, well that is if you use the typical recipe for jungle juice. It's probably better just to make everyone there own big drink though. I good drink would be, off the top of my head, 1 shot of the tincture + 3 shots of citrus soda (e.g. Sprite) + a teaspoon of honey + a lemon or orange slice to garnish. Shaken, not stirred...in a chilled Martini-style glass of course!
  7. Dpicer Dpicer

haha an entire shot? there are 45 ml in a shot, and 15 in a tablespoon- a dose of three all at once? haha excellent- evil laugh.
    well, will the tincture hit them before bottom's up? or will they be able to stop drinking the concotion whenever they want because they can feel the buzz?
    i dont want people freakin out, they should be able to get off the train where they want to

thanks for the recipe!
  8. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    Well make that "shot" into a part. So a tablespoon of tincture, 3 tablespoons of sprite, etc.
  9. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    You bad boy... Martinis are ALWAYS stirred... (Bond only did it so that he could drink ice water instead of liquor and remain sober to fight Dr. No & Goldfinger)

And you never SHAKE a drink made with soda water...

But if you mixed it with Orange Juice or Sour mix (which is lemon juice, sugar, water and egg white)...then by all means, shake it and strain it...into a Collins glass (tall glass) and add your garnish.

Did I ever mention I have a bartending license?

...have a cookie ;)

Hugz,

Mama Budz
  10. Reefa Cheefa Reefa Cheefa

• Since: Jan 26, 2006
    :wave: Can i make the incture using bacardi 151. Should i use more bud?
    Tha Reefa Cheefa
  11. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    Yeah, you can use any liquor you want, just stick with the ratios. Just remember though, the lower percentage you go, the more impurities you are left with at the end; you really want the purest ethanol you can get, and 190-200 proof is what you should get, but it's not a requirement.
  12. PRiMe4u PRiMe4u

• Since: Mar 15, 2005
    Earn $100,000.00-Prove WRONG-Feburary1938 Popular Mechanic's"TheNewBillionDollarCrop"

I wonder if a microwave iz safe to use to evaporate alcohol without losing THC effect ??? I guess those old unused hotplates will be good someday. I want http://www.Hemp4Fuel.com in my http://www.HempCar.org using http://www.RogerRichard.com 's http://www.BourkeEngine.com and 1938 Popular Mechanic's "The New Billion Dollar Crop" at http://www.JackHerer.com to go $BANK$RUPT$
  13. Ganjasaurus Ganjasaurus

• Since: Mar 5, 2011
    bacardi 151 will work fine, but has a different flavor. vodka has less flavor, cleaner tasting.
  14. donnachris donnachris

• Since: Nov 7, 2010
    you cant keep putting new weed in and expect that all the THC will be dissolved. i read somewhere that 70% alcohol is saturated with 6 grams of straight THC, that doesnt mean from saoking wedd but mixing with just the trichromes. becuz when you soak the weed in the alcohol you get impurities like chlorophyll along with THC.
  15. medme medme

• Since: Feb 7, 2011
    i wanna be your friend!!!,,,, i've heard that the everclear can only take so much THC , so any more than that would be wasting it,, i've also heard the only way to make the tincture stronger is to evaporate alot of the everclear out.. GOOD LUCK....
  16. ZoZo ZoZo

• Since: Nov 17, 2010
    Anyone know if decarboxylation is necessary before adding the bud in the alcohol? I've read numerous methods that say you need to heat the weed in the oven otherwise the thc won't be active. Others completely skip that step and tell you to keep it in a jar for a month.

If using the cold method, does the thc get converted from thca to thc by itself over time? Or do you absolutely need to decarboxylate it first?
  17. donnachris donnachris

• Since: Nov 7, 2010
    i soaked 42 grams in 25 ounces of 151 everclear. what a waste of an ounce and a half of some pretty good weed. I will never try this again unless someone can tell me what i did wrong. I did not decarboxylate my weed. i was told that because the weed was completely dry that I didn't have to do that. Well maybe that's what I did wrong. If, and only if, i do try this again, i will decarboxylate the weed, and also i will only do a couple of grams of weed and an ounce or two of alcohol. I mean it cost me $210 for the weed and another 21 for the alcohol and all I got was some pain relief, and not enough worth the cost of what I spent.
  18. AdrenalinnRush AdrenalinnRush

• Since: Nov 5, 2008
    Do not do this unless you decarboxylate the weed

Decarboxylation is NECESSARY unless you want to waste your bud/trim. What this does is convert the THC-A (Non Psychoactive) into THC (Psychoactive). There is a small amount of THC in non decarboxylated weed but only a small percentage so you will feel the effects but not nearly as strong as you would. It's extremely easy to do and takes only 10-15 minutes.
    -Preheat oven to 250ish F.
    -break up buds/trim (doesn't have to be a powder yet)
    -Lay it out on a cookie sheet and stick it in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until you see all the trichromes turn orange and it smells of vaped mj. If steam comes out when opening the oven door don't worry, it's just water vapor not vaporized thc. Thc vaporizes at 360ish F.
    -Break up the mj with your hands and it will crumble very easily
    -Then submerge it in alcohol with an inch or so at the top
    -stick it in the freezer and shake a few times a day for a few weeks
    -Strain with a metal coffee filter then filter again with a paper coffee filter (It will be slow and stirring it once and awhile helps.
    -I'd start with 10 drops, wait 20 minutes, and repeat until you get the desired effects (if you want it more potent, repeat the whole process with the same alcohol to make it more potent or reduce using an electric stove/hotplate.
    -It helps to drop it under you tongue and moving it around your mouth for a few minutes to absorb it faster (sublingually)

I've tried the cold and hot extraction and I MUCH prefer the cold. Less plant material is absorbed with cold and tastes much better. Patience is a virtue.