Trippy Music

Discussion in 'Music' started by highguy0910, Jul 24, 2007.

1. highguy0910 highguy0910

• Since: May 11, 2006
    I love to just chill and listen to music when I smoke. I listen to all types of
    music, except techno. I was curious if anyone had ne suggestions on some music that might b not as well known thats trippy, as I am gettin tired of my current library of music.

My current fav to listen while high:
    Postal service
    Death cab
    Angles and Airwaves
    Pink Floyd
    Atmosphere
    Sublime
    Gorillaz
    Tv on the Radio

Just to name a few...Thank you for any replies
  2. sugratefulldime sugratefulldime

• Since: Sep 22, 2006
    hey, try and listen to radiohead! start out with like, i dont know, there album The Bends.... good place to start, hit me up on aim if you want me to send you anything...

or arcade fire
  3. OpiaticSchism OpiaticSchism

• Since: Apr 30, 2007
    Modest Mouse. Guaranteed to fuck with your head because of the weird noises they use. Muse is also a good one due to their 'different' style of rock.

I would suggest "The Moon & Antarctica" and "We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank" from Modest Mouse, and from Muse try out "Absolution" first, and then "Showbiz" for some of their older awesome stuff.
  4. skaliwag66 skaliwag66

• Since: Aug 25, 2007
    Listen to Sunn O)))
    OM is pretty trippy too

Sleep "dopesmoker" is essential
  5. dailydream dailydream

• Since: Aug 25, 2007
    haha o snap this is my old post from the 420 lounge what happened to it???

thnx 4 the music esp Muse
  6. newbietodoobie newbietodoobie

• Since: Aug 24, 2007
    when im high i listen to:

floyd
    the beatles (The later stuff)
    third eye blind
    green day (sometimes)
    arctic monkeys
    and especially...
    ...THE SMASHING PUMPKINS!!! hands down the tippiest music from the 90's melon collie is really close to the wall for alt rock! :bong2::rofl2::sleeping:
  7. Zaireeka Zaireeka

• Since: Sep 13, 2007
    I strongly second the motion on Radiohead! One night in my dorm last year I was lying on some big, comfy pillows on the floor listening to them with some LSA and well, my ceiling started to melt. Kid A is one trippy album. The first four songs of it are golden, and will do so much (good) for your trip.

On that note, some other trippy music you guys might enjoy:
    Miles Davis' Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way
    Santana's Caravanserai
    My Morning Jacket - Z
    The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium (or, if you're really brave, Frances the Mute. Be warned: it contains some seriously creepy noises that freak the sh!t out of me sober!)
    The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, and At War With the Mystics. Or get some friends together for a Zaireeka party, you'll have a blast!

That's all for now! If I think of any more I'll be back to share.
  8. Ler Ler

• Since: Aug 7, 2007
    If you are looking for something uber mellow I suggest Tiger Saw, good for that coming down sleepy time.
  9. ALLDAYEVERYDAYNOTCARING ALLDAYEVERYDAYNOTCARING

• Since: Sep 16, 2007
    as far as TRIPPY music goes, I gotta say Led zeppelin, pink floyd, eek-a-mouse, the red hot chili peppers, tool, the mars volta, and the blue meanies would give you a wild trip

MY WORLD NEVER STOPS MELTING
    1 people like this.
  10. Hudson Chronic Hudson Chronic

• Since: Sep 3, 2007
    if ya havent heard of um, check out Fischerspooner. If they arent too technoeyy for ya, u might like um. if not Incubus kinda fallows along the lines of some of the stuff you are listening too. and the Beatles!!!
  11. Dank Perception Dank Perception

• 4TheLULZ!
    • Since: Nov 9, 2006
    Red Sparowes may fit your interests... They're a sort of Epic, alternative, no lyrics but they are amazing...
  12. KMKbuzz4-2-0 KMKbuzz4-2-0

• Since: Jul 1, 2006
    I don't know...I wouldn't call any third eye blind or green day really trippy. Not bad...just not trippy at all.
    As for music I would consider trippy:
    almost all pink floyd of course, jefferson airplane/starship, some hendrix, a few zeppelin, rolling stones' gimme shelter, doors, some grateful dead...well most music from the psychedelic rock age
  13. Zaireeka Zaireeka

Pink Floyd - goes without saying, but DSotM, Meddle, The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Animals, and if you want something REALLY trippy/experimental try ummagumma

The Doors - try out the songs "The End" and "Riders on the Storm", as well as parts of "The Soft Parade".

Led Zeppelin - this you need some of their later stuff, after they pretty much ditched the blues. Songs like "No Quarter", " The Rain Song", "Trampled Underfoot", "In the Light" and "Ten Years Gone" could be considered trippy.

The Beach Boys - Don't laugh, because Pet Sounds is one of the greatest albums of psychedelic pop ever written.

The Shins - Wincing the Night Away and Oh, Inverted World... are both psychedelic pop albums with heavy Beach Boys influences. Wincing is much more of a 'trippy' album that most of you would be looking for, while Inverted World is much more subtle.

Miles Davis - I know I already listed Bitches Brew and In A Silent Way but I think more people need to know what a musical genius Miles was. Also check out A Tribute to Jack Johnson (the boxer), Live-Evil, and for a glimpse into his transition between modal jazz and fusion check out Miles in the Sky.

Herbie Hancock - One of the most famous of Mile's electric band members, Herbie has some of his own great fusion albums. Check out Head Hunters for some pure fusion/funk and Mwandishi to see more of a master at work.

Chick Corea/Return to Forever - Yet another Miles sideman on the electric keyes, Corea went on to start his own band with music based on lush instrumentation and latin grooves. Return to Forever and Light as a Feather are both sure to please.

Mercury Rev - Deserter's Songs will blow your mind. I swear. I don't know how it took so long for me to find out about this album, because it stands up to and holds its own against The Flaming Lip's Soft Bulletin.

David Bowie - Songs like "Space Oddity", "Memory of a Free Festival", "Cygnet Committee", "Soul Love", "Life On Mars?", and "Station To Station" will make some of you very happy. Very happy, indeed.

The Beatles - you guys should already know a lot of their stuff, but here I am to aid the uninitiated. Revolver may not be a 'trippy' album as a whole, but songs like "Love You To" and "Tomorrow Never Knows" will put you out of your head. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Magical Mystery Tour represent the pinnacle of The Beatles' psychedelic period, especially "Within You Without You", "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" and "Strawberry Fields Forever".

Tool - they write some intellectual music that may be a bit too heavy for some people. I love them, but don't know how I'd deal with them while under the influence. AEnima, Lateralus, and 10,000 Days are their best. Make sure to check out "Disposition/Reflection/Triad" from Lateralus, "Wings For Marie/10,000 Days" from, well, 10,000 Days and "H.", "46&2", "Third Eye", and "Pushit" from AEnima. Also listen to "4 Degrees" from their album Undertow.

Donovan - the first high profile pot bust. Sunshine Superman and Mellow Yellow are some of his best, along with The Hurdy Gurdy Man, Barabajagal and A Gift From A Flower to a Garden.

David Crosby - If I Could Only Remember My Name is just excellent, one of the most chilled out albums I've ever heard. Songs like "Talampais High" and "Song With No Words" are almost eerie, and the bouncing vocals on "Music Is Love" will make your head spin.

Hope this helps some people out. Sorry it got so long!
  14. Mindriot420 Mindriot420

• Since: Oct 10, 2007
    Well by trippy, you mean psychedelic, then go for Infected Mushrooms.
  15. Zaireeka Zaireeka

Also, while not quite "trippy" in the same sense, The Decemberists have a lot of songs that are really similar to those David Bowie tunes I mentioned above.
    1 people like this.
  16. Zaireeka Zaireeka

Sorry to double post, but I just heard the Postal Service's cover of "Suddenly Everything Has Changed" by The Flaming Lips, and I think their version rivals the original. You'd definitely like it.
  17. unik unik

• Since: Oct 28, 2007
    long beach dub allstar's records right back and wonders of the world are awesome records in the element
  18. imported_squeek imported_squeek

• Since: Jul 13, 2007
    Ok ok. well. i have an extremely cast taste in music. I am very into acid rock/psych rock and i know a great deal about music. Very chilled, mellow tunes include.
    The 13th Floor Elevators. (Splash 1 is probably the most mellow and trippy songs out there. it gives me "trips" everytime i listen to it, one of the two most intense songs every written imo)
    The Velvet Underground (Heroin is. imho. THE most INTENSE song EVER written. The song is designed to give the listener the closest experience he or she will ever come to without taking Heroin itself (or other hard drugs). The song gives me extremley intense trips and just mellows me out and sends tingles down my spine every time i listen to it.
    Other mellow trippy bands include.
    The Chocolate Watchband
    The Electric Prunes
    The Magic Mushrooms
    Pink Floyyd (WITH SYD BARRETT!) I cant stand the albums DSOTM onwards. i dont even like DSOTM. sorry. Overrated.
    Jimi Hendrix
    The Doors
    The Beatles
    Bob Dylan
    John Lennon
    Jeff Buckley
    Eric Clapton.
    Theres too many to name
    The majority of you seem to just listen to new age. clean cut music. im sorry if i insult anyone by saying this but bands such as Led Zeppelin and Incubus, Sublime and Gorillaz dont even come close to mellow trippy music.

Than again. everyones different. I recommend 13th Floor Elevators (FIRST CD [Psychedelic Sounds of the 13th Floor Elevators]) and Velvet Underground (Lou Reeds first band). Although they can be VERY hard to come across.
  19. unik unik

• Since: Oct 28, 2007
    lol I never claimed sublime to be 'trippy' music, they're just great stoner music all around.
  20. Double A Double A

• Since: Nov 2, 2007
    About 90% of the time i'm smoking i have some pre-80's live grateful dead on. especially their long jam songs like dark star, morning dew, terrapin station, scarlet begonias/fire on the mountain, etc. admittedly, 15 minute instrumental segments can be a bit taxing, but the shit is the perfect vibe for an extended bong session or whatever. very heady.
    1 people like this.