US: What Republican Presidential Candidates Say About Legalizing Marijuana

Discussion in 'The Drug War Headline News' started by claygooding, Oct 21, 2011.

1. claygooding claygooding

• DrugWarVeteran
    • Since: May 13, 2009
    US: What Republican Presidential Candidates Say About Legalizing Marijuana
    HuffingtonPost / Lucia Graves / 10,21,2011

WASHINGTON -- Fifty percent of Americans favor legalizing marijuana, according to a recently released Gallup poll. That number, up from just 36 percent in 2006, marks a record high and could have significant implications for candidates on the campaign trail, advocates say.

Republican presidential candidate Gary Johnson has already come out in favor of legalizing marijuana, announcing on Wednesday that he would even consider issuing a full presidential pardon for anyone serving a prison sentence for a nonviolent marijuana crime. Such pardons are part of what he envisions as a broader "rational drug policy."

"Pot smokers may be the largest untapped voting bloc in the country," he said in an interview with Outside Magazine. "A hundred million Americans have smoked marijuana. You think they want to be considered criminals?"

Though Johnson has been excluded from recent GOP debates and polls show he garners less than 1 percent of the national vote, recent surveys suggest that, if current trends persist, legalization of marijuana could indeed become a hot-button topic by election 2016.

Support for legalization is as high as 62 percent among Americans under the age of 30, and Gallup has found that Americans are especially likely to favor legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes. According to a Gallup survey last year, 70 percent favored making it legal for doctors to prescribe marijuana to reduce pain and suffering.

What's more, Republicans could exploit pot advocates' anger at President Barack Obama, who as a candidate promised to maintain a hands-off approach toward pot clinics adhering to state law. At a 2007 town hall meeting in Manchester, N.H., Obama said raiding patients who use marijuana for medicinal purposes "makes no sense." At another town hall in Nashua, N.H., he said the Justice Department prosecuting medical marijuana users was "not a good use of our resources." Yet the number of Justice Department raids on marijuana dispensaries has continued to rise.

"The fact that presidential candidates are now actively pointing out the need to end marijuana prohibition, combined with the new Gallup poll showing that more Americans support legalization than oppose it, shows that the time for reform has arrived," said Tom Angell, spokesman for the legalization advocacy group Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, in an email to HuffPost.

With so many Americans in support of legalization, how long can the rest of the Republican presidential field stay silent on the issue? HuffPost has compiled a slideshow highlighting GOP candidates' positions.

[IMG]

Rep. Ron Paul (R-Texas) has called for an end to the war on drugs, insisting that marijuana laws should be set not by the federal government but by the states. In June, he teamed up with Rep. Barney Frank (D-Mass.) to introduce legislation removing marijuana from the list of federally regulated substances. Though essentially dead upon arrival, the bill helps to illuminate Paul's views.

Slide show and candidates stance at link above
    2 people like this.
  2. SmokeyBear88 SmokeyBear88

• Since: Sep 20, 2011
    Not quite as bad as I thought it would be, except Romney and Bachmann though I don't think she has a chance in hell.

Mormons hate everything fun. Caffeine, alcohol, nicotine, sex, cursing, and pot. Nice people though.
  3. claygooding claygooding

• DrugWarVeteran
    most Mormons that I have met hate all you listed,,when in the group.
  4. Bud Is good Bud Is good

• Resident non smoker
    • Since: Jul 15, 2009
    Mormans are cool..I hung out with one a couple years ago quite frequently..Great guy..
  5. Silence Silence

• Since: Sep 4, 2011
    I've been posting stuff for a while now on Ron Paul.

Thanks for being another person putting him out there on the site Clay.
    He needs to be elected. I see that man (regardless of how corrupt congress is) straightening things out.

I advise all of you that do not know about what he wants to do to go to his website.
    Ron Paul 2012 Official Campaign Website
  6. Sierra Twist 11 Sierra Twist 11

• Since: May 28, 2011
    He and Gary Johnson are the only 2 candidates that support marijuana legalization, even on the medical scale. That's disappointing but not surprising, as most Republicans tend to be on the opposing side anyways.
  7. claygooding claygooding

• DrugWarVeteran
    Republicans are corporate puppets,,they dance the tune called by the hand up their asses commands,,I am sure that police unions and prison unions are wiggling those fingers rapidly right now.

We will never know if any of Obama's initiatives would have worked,,not because some of them were not good,,but the Republican's have set out from day 1 to make sure he isn't elected again.

I don't support him but can see the way he is being set up to fail.

When they put Biden on the ticket for VP,,many saw problems for reform because of Biden's record as a drug warrior. He was on the committee that wrote the re-authorization policy for the ONDCP,,,the one that requires the drug czar to lie.

A Paul/Johnson ticket would seal our voting block,,or a lot of them,,to voting Republican,
  8. Silence Silence

Even though Ron Paul is a Republican, I don't think he's a puppet.

Granted, almost all of the Republican party is, but I really do believe Ron Paul is not a part of the BS. He has always been somewhat segregated from the "popular ones" (best to way to say it I guess) in congress who would most likely hurt America more if they were elected.
  9. claygooding claygooding

• DrugWarVeteran
    But Ron Paul is being ignored by msm,,because msm are corporations and they will not allow his message to be put out,except when they can make puns about his policies or discredit them.

So,unless the legalization voting block is large enough to outvote the rest of America and enough of them are willing to go to the effort of voting,,Ron Paul will be another also ran.:rolleyes:
  10. Silence Silence

Sad isn't it?

I hope more than just the legalization voters come out to vote for him though. Perhaps other that believe in his policies. I know people that have no position on legalization but are for Ron Paul so considering the people that ARE for legalization and will actually go to the polls in 2012 as well as the people that believe in his policies, I think he has a chance. However, the lack of publicity may hurt him.