Used to blackout smoking...

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by Sweat of the Bud, Feb 13, 2010.

1. Sweat of the Bud Sweat of the Bud

• Since: Feb 4, 2010
    When I first started smoking weed, the first couple weeks (I'd hit the pipe maybe 3-4 days out of the week) I would blackout a few times while I smoked. The blackout would occur while I held in my hit, and I'd keep doing this because I didn't exactly know if there was a limit or if I was high. I'd stop once I'd realize I was having a hard time keeping my balance, and after those couple of weeks the blackouts stopped and I figured I wasn't getting as high. So I'd hit more bowls until I felt like it was enough, but never blacked out again. So what I'm wondering is if it was the weed that was causing me to blackout, or the lack of oxygen to my brain while I held it in - my friends say they've never heard of anyone blacking out like me and said my stuff could've been laced.
  2. Lukeaxx Lukeaxx

• Since: Aug 20, 2009
    Lack of oxygen to the brain.

Most likely you held it in, then stood up right? Don't sit down for ages, hold your breath for a while then stand up suddenly.

You don't need to hold your hit in for more than 3-5 seconds - after that the benefits reaped are pointless and you are starving yourself of oxygen - so breathe.

It could have also been the rare case of a quick drop in blood pressure, this does happen with marijuana sometimes as marijuana is known to thin the blood - this is very rare and not really harmful as your blood pressure goes back straight away, but it has caused some people to blackout in the past, this is only when you get really quite baked though.

The likelihood is i was lack of oxygen to the brain - the same headrush feeling you get when you get up too quickly after being sat or laid down for a while - the only difference is because you were holding the toke in - BAM - your brain is like "damn this fool is starving me of oxygen, i'll make him pass out so I can do the work if he's too incompetent to do it himself."
    2 people like this.
  3. muttdawg509 muttdawg509

• Since: Jul 14, 2009
    I still do that all the time, and I've been smoking for 16 years, I just make sure to get in a position that I can maintain balance so I dont fall when the blackout feeling starts to happen
  4. metanoia metanoia

• Smoke. Weed.
    • Since: Oct 7, 2009
    Happens to me when I inhale too much, but yeah lack of oxygen
  5. Lukeaxx Lukeaxx

• Since: Aug 20, 2009
    To prevent it - don't hold in smoke more than 5 seconds. It is pointless and the harm it does to your breathing and lungs heavily outweighs the positive of that tiny little bit of THC you might absorb. Nearly all of the THC is absorbed in 3 seconds, so it is completely pointless to hold it in longer than 5 all it does is starve your brain of oxygen and cause you harm.
  6. Sweat of the Bud Sweat of the Bud

• Since: Feb 4, 2010
    Okay. I was actually standing up all the time while smoking, I'd blackout and feel like I'd been standing there for a long time. Appreciate the response I've been wondering about this for awhile.
  7. lil_wayne420 lil_wayne420

• Since: Feb 13, 2010
    Shit man i used to do this too! Back when i used to smoke like a gram a day everyday I would blackout all the time when i was smokin from my bong. I thought it was mainly because of the massive hits i used to take. I liked it and it ued to let me know when i was getting high as fuck. I cant do it as much as i used to cause that was back when i smoked like a pro!