Vaporizing shake

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by aze, Dec 11, 2006.

1. aze aze

• Since: Dec 3, 2006
    Some of the local dispensaries here in Cali are doing promotions giving away a gram of shake with a minimum purchase.

It's the first time I've tried shake, and I think it could be a very cost effective way to vape. Shake is the small leaves that fall off when they are packaging hi-grade dank buds. It costs $20-$40 per eighth, versus $50-60 or so for an eighth of hi-grade. So the cost is about half what regular bud has. It's usually a mixture of all the different strains they've been processing, so the disadvantage is you don't get to choose what ratio of indica to sativa you are getting. And it's going to be a mixture of strains rather than a pure strain.

It seems to me that hi-grade shake is in some sense ideally suited for vaping: Yes you get a few more sticks and leaves than you would buying dank, but when you vape, those extra sticks and leaves don't ruin the taste like they would when smoking. Also, the shake is usually on the dry side already, and vaping works best with dry bud.

So I'm thinking shake could be the way to realize those cost savings that vaporization promises. It seems to be about a third cheaper for the same amount of vaped THC than hi-grade.
  2. elicit elicit

• Since: Jul 20, 2006
    It should get you mildly medicated, but it's not going to have the same world renoun high that some of the better cali buds will.

Free is still free :)
  3. shirschmokealot shirschmokealot

• Since: Nov 30, 2006
    And where do they give this out?
  4. aze aze

Here in SF, you open the Onion newspaper and there will be ads with the various promotions. This week it is Mr. Nice Guy giving away a free gram with $20 purchase, and Happy Days gave away a free gram without any purchase.
  5. Darque Pervert Darque Pervert

• Jive Honkey
    • Since: Feb 14, 2006
    I think that this is is treading on the thin line of discussing dealers and/or dealing.
    I'm willing to bet that this will be closed by a moderator in short order...
    But maybe not...
    It's definitely sketchy.
  6. nornerator nornerator

• Since: Oct 28, 2005
    I've never seen shake from a dispensary before, but if its anything like the shake I see normally, $40 for an eighth is way too expensive, it better be REAL crystally. It would work good vaping, but $40 is so much in my opinion considering around where I live real good bud (not quite medical) is $50/3.5grams so seems too much too me.
  7. aze aze

Yeah, I bailed from the place that wanted to sell me the $40 eighth of shake, and went to another place that had $20 vials of shake marked 3 grams, but which actually contained 3.7 grams when I weighed it at home.

All these prices for medical mj are a little higher than the best you can do on the street, but I'm willing to pay it for the convenience and having someone to be held accountable if I end up with bad shite.

Another cool thing about shake for vaporizing is that you don't have to break it up to grind it, so you don't get THC on your fingers.
  8. SmasheR SmasheR

• TONIGHT, we RIDE
    • Since: Mar 10, 2006
    That's ridiculous. Someone explain what a dispensary is in CA, I've heard of them before but never really known what exactly they were. Is this actually a place where you can buy weed? Like Weedmart or something?
  9. vern vern

Yeah its pretty much a weedmart from what i've heard, different stains to choose from, you can get keif, oils, weed brownies...etc. etc. pretty much stoner heaven
  10. SmasheR SmasheR

• TONIGHT, we RIDE
    How can that be legal!?!?!
  11. vern vern

Ever heard of medical marijuana??
  12. SmasheR SmasheR

• TONIGHT, we RIDE
    Yeah but I thought the doctor had to prescribe it/give it to you? So how is a weedmart of sorts legal. Also I was under the impression that you got medical MJ from the government.
  13. vern vern

Doc prescibes it, you get a card thats allows you to have a certain amount (say 2 ounces and/or 12 plants) I'm not quite sure where the clubs (weedmarts) get there bud from...i'm assuming they grow it...but i'm not a medical mj user so maybe some one can fill us in??
  14. b1s8e3 b1s8e3

• Subscriber
    • Since: Sep 20, 2006
    According to an episode of Penn + Teller, they get their weed from growers who grow it legally according to CA. state law but still have to hide the growing op. from the Federal Agencies, IE DEA etc.
  15. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

$40 for a hq of shake! my gawd... My guy just gave me like a quarter of his shake for free(Towards my cooking bag). I pay $25 for a hq of Grade A Quality Buds.
  16. imported_redeyejedi imported_redeyejedi

• - smokaholic -
    • Since: Feb 1, 2005
    Yeah, the max that I will pay is $30 for a 3.5 of nice buds, anything more costly than that and I probably won't buy it. Medical weed is tempting, but I can buy cheaper stuff that is almost as good from my connections.
  17. Chinopants Chinopants

• Since:
    Hey all, FYI for some facts about despenserys, check out a movie comming out about CA and there drug laws. Its a play in super size me movie and its called Super High Me. its about a a stoner comiden who stops smoking for 30 days then binges for 30 days. but its much more than that it goes in to the diffrent shops and laws in Cal. As for medical smoke its legal on state level but not fed level. its on par with a Michal Moore style film. BTW Im looking to get my first Vap soon. thanks for the shake info.
  18. merrydown merrydown

• Since: May 8, 2008
    I just watched super high me yesterday

It's half entertaining. I was jealous when I saw the medical mj dispensaries though. It gets you pretty teed off when they showed the feds balling in and emptying out one of the dispensaries.

Looks like it's time for a civil war heh heh...

:D
  19. Sofa King Sofa King

• It's Good to be the KING.
    • Since: Mar 1, 2006
    I get shake all the time from dispensories. When I first got medical I used to get all the high end buds, but when I realized how much it was costing me I started trying out the shake that a lot of dispensories have. Some is crap but some have shake that is as good as the buds themselves. I think some of the dispensories kief there shake before they sell it. But some just sell straight shake. The place I'm using now has great shake for cheap, and it is strain specific, as opposed to the before mentioned mixture of several strains often reffered to as "Shake Salad" . I still grind it before I vap just so I have a uniform consistency.