Visine: how and why it works

Discussion in 'Urine Testing' started by rsbattle, Sep 9, 2009.

1. rsbattle rsbattle

• Since: Jun 5, 2009
    I didn't see this anywhere else on this forum, and the information on erowid was a little lacking in my opinion, so i went and researched it a little bit, and here is what i found...

The ability of Visine eye drop to cause false-negative drug tests in the screening phase of the analysis is troublesome. Neither routine specimen integrity testing nor any routine urine analysis is able to detect their presence. Pearson et al studied the effect of Visin eye drops on drug-of-abuse testing as well as the mechanism by which components of the eye drops produce false-negative drug-testing results. Visine eye drops are effective in causing false-negative results in the analysis of the THC metabolite 11-nor-9-carboxy-A-tetrahydrocannabinol. The GC/MS analysis showed that there was no modification in the structure of the marijuana metabolite (THC-COOH) by the components of the eye drops. At low concentrations of eye drops, the false-negative cannabinoid results was due to the benzalkonium chloride, an active ingredient of Visine. Visine decreased the THC assay results in both EMIT-d.a.u. assays and the FPIA, although Visine had no effect on the glucose 6-phosphate dehydrogenase-drug conjugate used in the EMIT assay. Results of ultrafiltration studies with Visine eye drops suggest that the THC metabolite partitions between the aqueouis solvent and the hydrophobic interior of benzalkonium choride micelles, thus reducing the availability of THC metabolite in antibody-based assays. Visine eye drops and analgesic ointment (e.g. BenGay) can also cause false-negative results with sweat testing. The components of eye drops in urine may be detected by using high-performance liquid chromatography combined with ultraviolet detection at 262nm, a method originally developed for analysis of ophthalmic formulations.

Scwarzhoff and Cody conducted a comprehensive study investigating the effect of 16 different adulterating agents: ammonia-based cleaner, L-ascorbic acid, Visine eye drops, Drano drain cleaner, goldenseal root, lemon juice, lime solvent, Clorox bleach, liquad hand soap, methanol, sodium chloride, tribasic potassium phosphate, toilet bowl cleaner (e.g., Vanish), white vinegar, oinic detergent, and whole blood anticoagulated with ehtlyenediamine tetaacetic acid (EDTA) on FPIA analysis of urine for abused drugs. The authors tested these adulterating agents at a urine concentration of 10% by volume, with the exception of goldenseal, because of its insolubility. For goldenseal root tea, one capsule was suspended in 60 mL urine. Out of six drugs test (cocaine metabolites, ampheatmines, opiates, phencyclidine, cannabinoid, and barbiturates), the cannabinoid test was found to be the most susceptible to adulteration. Approximately half of the agents (ascorbic acid, vinegar, bleach, lime solvent, Visine eye drops, goldenseal) that were tested caused false negative. Both cannabinoid and opiate assays were suspceptible to bleach, and actual degradtion of THC was confirmed by GC/MS analysis. The PCP and benzoylecgonine (BE, the metabolite of cocaine) anaylses were affected by alkaline agents.

CONCLUSION

Although many readily available household chemicals can be added in vitro after the collection of urine specimens for invalidating drugs-of-abuse testing, most of these adulterants can be readily detected in urine by routine specimen integrity tests (measuring temperature, pH, creatinine, and specific gravity). Because routine tests for specimen integrity are mandated, such readily available household chemicals do not pose a threat to invalidate drug tests. Unfortunately, eye drops are the only over-the-counter product that, if added in sufficient amount to a urine specimen, can invalidate drugs-of-abuse testing by EMIT assays. However, other screening assays such as the FPIA assay, are less affected by the presence of eye drops in a specimen.

SOURCE: A Health Educator's Guide to Understanding Drugs of Abuse Testing
    2 people like this.
  2. T0K3N00B T0K3N00B

• Since: Jul 16, 2009
    Nice find! Do you know the ratio of eye drops to urine or how many drops you would need to make you test negative?
  3. BlazedCanadian BlazedCanadian

• Since: Jul 29, 2009
    a lot
  4. rsbattle rsbattle

Visine concentration (mL / L): 0 10 20 50 100 200 300
    9-carboxy-THC con. (ug / L) : 100 52 43 47 35 85 87

Note: positive test cutoff value is 50 ug / L 9-carboxy-THC

Standard urine specimen is 60 mL. At 100 mL / L Visine recommended, this means 6 mL of
    Visine would cut the observed 9-carboxy-THC almost two-thirds. Visine comes
    in 15 mL and 30 mL bottles.
    1 people like this.
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I'd like our urine-testing experts to weigh in on this. From what I've read here and elsewhere, there are no effective adulterants that won't be detected in standard verification testing.
  6. Secs Secs

• Since: Dec 21, 2005
    I would really like to see a date on these studies. It was true at one time, that visine could cause a negative drug test for THC on the earlier tests, but I really don't think that is true today.

On an instant type of test without a validity test, anything, even water will cause a negative, but water will cause an instant with validity testing to show as abnormal on the adulterant panel.

I do know that anyone caught with Visine in their pocket, can be subjected to an observed test if it is felt that the Visine was brought to the collection site for the purpose of adulterating the test.

Some employers have made it mandatory that anyone who shows up for a drug test with visine in their pocket will be observed.
  7. rsbattle rsbattle

i have to take standard court ordered (condition of release) UA's, i just tape the visine to my penis, because im always observed... that and it needs obviously to be in the right temp range...

Title: A Health Educator's Guide to Understanding Drugs of Abuse Testing
    Author: Amitava Dasgupta
    Edition: illustrated
    Publisher: Jones & Bartlett Publishers, 2009
    ISBN: 0763765899, 9780763765897
    Length: 230 pages
  8. Secs Secs

• Since: Dec 21, 2005
    Basically, you are diluting your urine with visine. It isn't the eye drops that are creating a negative out of a positive urine specimen, but rather the volume of liquid the Visine adds to the quantity of urine that lowers the level of THC in the specimen.

It is (I'll bet) an instant type of test, without an adulterant panel.
  9. rsbattle rsbattle

the chloride in visine binds THC, not changing its structure, but binding it (two-thirds in the above example) so the chemical tests they use can only detect the other third that didnt... but yes, your also diluting it a bit
  10. lew scannon lew scannon

• Banned
    • Since: Jun 5, 2005
    Ask and ye shall recieve (and yes the studies themselves are quite ancient, long before improvements in testing methodologies were made) :

4 people like this.
  11. jeffman_53 jeffman_53

• Since: Aug 22, 2007
    Visine eye drops is as old as dipping your finger in bleach, letting it dry and then swirling your finger around in the sample. It doesn't work anymore with modern drug tests. I'm 55 and neither of these options have worked in twenty years. You may get lucky with visine but is that a chance you're willing to take?