What age do you feel is appropriate for people to smoke pot?

Discussion in 'Surveys, Polls and Questions' started by SativaForAnxiety, May 6, 2011.

?

What age do you feel is appropriate for people to smoke pot?

13+ 13 vote(s) 22.0%
16+ 25 vote(s) 42.4%
18+ 17 vote(s) 28.8%
21+ 4 vote(s) 6.8%
  1. SativaForAnxiety SativaForAnxiety

• Since: May 1, 2011
    My first time may be when I'm sixteen (next month).

What age do you feel is appropriate for people to start smoking? Would love to hear everyone's opinions 8)

Some feel that 16+ is great, others strongly believe that 21 is the 'correct' age to smoke pot. Others would argue 18.

I believe 16+, and I'm not just saying that because I want to try it. I understand why people feel 21 is appropriate because the brain is fully-developed. But I haven't seen any research that shows pot "stunting" brain growth.
  2. Love4TheNugg Love4TheNugg

• NorCal MushroomCloud
    • Since: Mar 25, 2010
    While I think a fair amount of 16 year olds are responsible enough to handle weed, I personally started when I was 18.
  3. 1406 1406

• Retired
    • Since: Jun 1, 2009
    Comparing age to maturity is comparing apples to oranges.

Some people are more mature at 14 than most people are at 18, and vice versa.

But to sort of answer your question, in my opinion, age doesn't necessarily determine everything.
  4. SativaForAnxiety SativaForAnxiety

To 1406 - I see where you got that. By age I meant by physical development (i.e lungs, brain etc). Cause a lot of people I know who are for marijuana really wants people to do it when they fully develop (which could range from 19-21).
  5. 1406 1406

• Retired
    • Since: Jun 1, 2009
    I see. I have read, I don't know the source off the top of my head, that marijuana use has had detrimental developmental impacts on adolescents.

On the other side of the coin, I have heard of cases in which younger children benefit greatly from the use of medical marijuana. Dr. Lester Grinspoon, professor at the Harvard School of Medicine and author of several pro medical marijuana books, had seen miraculous changes in his terminally ill son.

A bit of a tear-jerker, but definitely worth the watch.

youtube.com/watch?v=q3BreNy-Zeo

Edit: Whoops. There's the URL.
  6. vvicked0471 vvicked0471

• Super mod
    • Since: Nov 24, 2005
    In terms or maturity its hard to say. People mature at different rates. As for physical development its probably best to wait until at least 18 preferably...
  7. Zebra Zebra

• Since: Mar 27, 2009
    My first time was 15 and I'm 18 now. I voted 18 but I am still not sure because I hear that marijuana use can bad for the formation of your frontal lobes and the frontal lobes fully form around 23-25.
  8. SativaForAnxiety SativaForAnxiety

To 1406 - Yeah I'm going to research about that. I hear too many mixed things that pot can blacken your lungs, and that it doesn't. So I might as well check for brain developments as well. Also, No video got linked xD

To Vvicked and Zebra - Would either of you know any resources for Pot and Teen developments by any chance? Cause if I do get into it I can't see myself as a chronic smoker at all. But there's also the debate with vaping.
  9. LanDaddy LanDaddy

• Since: Jan 26, 2011
    I honestly think 16 is too young. I don't think a 16 year old can handle an intense marijuana trip, no matter how mature.

Though I do know that most 16 year olds might not have a loss of ego, derealization, and all those crazy psychedelic side effects. Having your first psychedelic experience at a young age strips away your innocence and youth, well it did so for me, so I don't think its worth the risk of emotional trauma and possible memory loss, etc.

I'd say 18 minimum and preferably 21 to be a heavy (daily or more) smoker, though I didn't take that advice myself.
  10. Lpwn_Ranger Lpwn_Ranger

• Since: Apr 5, 2008
    I lost my innocence and youth looong before I was 16, and loooooong before I first experienced psychedelia.
  11. LanDaddy LanDaddy

• Since: Jan 26, 2011
    Well can you atleast agree that it should be cherished because you don't realize how good it is until it's gone?

I don't think we should rush the process of maturity, and I believe marijuana does just that.
    1 people like this.
  12. SativaForAnxiety SativaForAnxiety

To LanDaddy - I don't have innocence anymore haha. Actually, I'm dying to be 25 already so I can be a lawyer. My nose is always in a book when it comes to school and pushing for APs and College courses. I feel older than a teen and I already miss my childhood. I look back at Ren & Stimpy, SNES, N64 and Nostalgia hits me.

But I defiently get where you're coming from none the less.
    1 people like this.
  13. Drew420 Drew420

• Since: Mar 15, 2011
    As of now I don't think there's a "right" age. Right is subjective. But ask me in a few years after myself and all my pothead friends have grown up.
  14. Beast'N On'M Beast'N On'M

• Since: May 15, 2010
    I started at 15, but I'd say 16.
  15. CivilMinded CivilMinded

• Since: Feb 16, 2011
    I never really worried about physical effects. I only worry about the kids that smoke all day everyday and don't do anything else. I worry that they'll never go anywhere in life. Don't be one of those. Get a nice job and be a productive citizen, who knows, maybe you'll end up being that final push that gets it decriminalized..

If nothing else, don't get caught.
    1 people like this.
  16. SativaForAnxiety SativaForAnxiety

To Civilminded - I agree. Those are the people who make weed seem horrible. To be honest, that was my initial image of what a pothead is until I actually educated myself and joined this forum. A lot of people are productive and do pot, not just couchlocked 24/7. I just wish the whole world can see the true side of it, and not the irresponsible teen-use of it.
  17. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005
    I voted 18 +

Now I started smoking when I was just 12yrs old, very young I know, that was back in 1976. if my parents would have paid more attention to me back then, things might have been different.

but with the weed that is out there in todays age, it's twice as potent, and as it has already been said, age is just a number, being mature enough is another story.

kids need to be allowed to be kids, and now that I am older/wiser, I can understand that, if I had it to do over again, I think i'd have waited til I was 18yrs old to try it.

~Stoney~
  18. donnachris donnachris

• Since: Nov 7, 2010
    i voted 16+ but i really dont think age has anything to do with it. i experienced my first high at about 10 years old, but i wasn't smoking. my older bbrother was having a party and i sat in an inside corner of the room and got the contact from hell. i seen my sisters ghost at the foot of my bed and she was asleep in the other room. i didnt loose my innocence just becuz i had gotten high for the first time. i went on to lead a normal childhood.

@1406 what is the age that you need to be to be on this message board??
  19. stoneygreenbud stoneygreenbud

• Super Moderator
    • Since: Oct 31, 2005
    Membership here is open to anyone aged 13 & over

~Stoney~
    senior moderator
    1 people like this.
  20. SativaForAnxiety SativaForAnxiety

To Stoney - Wow :c Well, idk how the 70s were when it came to pot but I thought the twice as potent was a rumor? It's under the marijuana myths. They say it's the exact same thing back in the 70s just that the columbian one is now grown in USA or something like that. Please correct if I'm wrong.