what can i do w/ resin?

Discussion in 'Homemade Paraphernalia' started by psanf420, Jan 23, 2009.

1. psanf420 psanf420

• Since: Jan 8, 2009
    i read somewhere that resin could be smoked (although it tastes like shit), and had this information independently confirmed by a third party today. i don't have any smoke right now, so i decided that this would be a good time to clean my pipe, chillum, grinder, and a few other items. i put them all in a jar, covered them w/ isopropyl alcohol, closed the lid, and let it sit in a drawer yesterday. the alcohol has taken on a goldish color and my stuff's a lot cleaner now.

what i'm wanting to know, is how i can go about extracting the resin from the alcohol so i can use it in my pipe. i'd say that i have about 4-5 ounces of alcohol all together. i've read that i can just put it out on a plate and let the alcohol evaporate, but considering the volume of fluid that i'm dealing w/ i'd rather speed up the process in some manner. i was thinking that i could try filtering out the solids with a coffee filter and then drying whatever i get, but i don't want to try that unless i can be sure it'll work. any ideas or advice?

tia
    1 people like this.
  2. marijuanavillle7 marijuanavillle7

• Since: Jan 22, 2008
    Yes you can smoke resin and get some what of a buzz. As far as extracting it from alcohol i have no clue. Usually when i smoke it (which never happens anymore unless I'm really jonesin for a buzz) I just scrap the bowl with a knife and then scrap the stem with a paper clip.
    1 people like this.
  3. Bhikku Bhikku

• News Administrator
    • Since: Jun 14, 2006
    Smoke it. Delicious.
  4. RyanB RyanB

• Since: Oct 12, 2008
    What I usually do is clean it with pipe cleaners, clean the bowl that is, and let the crumbs fall out. Then i mold it into a ball and smoke it using a pipe. With the alcohol-resin mixture, I'm sorry but I've never done it like that :( Sorry!
    1 people like this.
  5. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

• Since: Dec 3, 2006
    If your using alcohol you need to let the alcohol evaporate on a surface such as a plate or glass, then scrape the resin off and smoke it... same process as hash, you would have been much better off just scraping the resin and smokin it without the iso alchy method tho.
  6. rich420 rich420

• Since: Oct 4, 2006
    Next time scrape your piece instead of trying to extract it from the alcohol.
  7. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    The solids have had all of the goodness leeched out of them - that's the part you can throw away. To speed up the evaporation of the alcohol, put a fan on it. You can use an electric hotplate or stove to speed up the evaporation, but you have to monitor it constantly to prevent burning. Do not, under any circumstances, use flames to heat the alcohol. Alcohol vapors are highly combustible and can be explosive. This is better done outdoors or with windows open and fans replacing the air. Breathing the alcohol fumes isn't good for you.
    1 people like this.
  8. psanf420 psanf420

do you know of a good way to separate the solids out of the iso alcohol so i don't end up w/ them as filler in my finished product?

don't know a thing about making hash. all i've done in that direction is gather loose keif while wanting to get a buzz.

i've decided that what i'll be doing is evaporating small amounts of the alcohol over several sessions and allowing the resin to accumulate.

thanks for all of the answers everyone.
    1 people like this.
  9. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I'd use one of those one-cup coffee filter holders and a coffee filter.
  10. KushMonster KushMonster

• Since: Dec 19, 2006
    lol i have never heard of the alcohol extraction method sounds too complicated
  11. TheStonerGeek TheStonerGeek

• Since: Jan 20, 2009
    Let us know how it goes, I personally am very curious. I've been wondering lately if a decent oil could be extracted from resin in a very similar manner to what you describe. If you get a decent extraction, post pics!
  12. goofy421 goofy421

• Since: Jan 22, 2009
    Ugh I smoked so much resin in my youth *blargh*

Good luck :D
  13. RyanB RyanB

• Since: Oct 12, 2008
    I love the taste and smell of resin :) You may call it odd but there are some people out there who don't like the taste OR the smell of marijuana!! :eek:

I don't get buzzed off of it though.. unless I have a lot.
  14. psanf420 psanf420

update

well, so far it's been going good. yesterday i poured some of the golden colored alcohol out of the jar and onto a plate, and i let it sit in the bathtub overnight to dry. it didn't work so well do this in the enclosed space, but no harm either. it just didn't evaporate. today, i turned on the dehumidifier, and put a little fan by the plate, and it's sped up the drying a lot. it's about half done after an hour and a half, and the resin has left brown stains on the plate that look sticky.

one thing that is starting to concern me though, is the fact that i used 70% isopropyl alcohol instead of 90%+. unfortunately, that's what i had. it was starting to really worry me until i read the ingredients on the bottle though. it says that the active ingredient is 70% isopropyl alcohol, and the only inactive ingredient is water. my main concern is that there would be something that was added during the manufacturing process that i might not want to smoke. i'm not sure if isopropyl alcohol and denaturated alcohol are comparable, but i do know that denaturated alcohol can really fuck you up due to it being matabilized into formaldihyde in the liver if it's consumed orally. does anyone else have any information regarding the necessity of using 90%+ isopropyl, or will i be fine with 70%iso+water?
  15. TheStonerGeek TheStonerGeek

I'm no scientist, but I suspect that because you allowed the alcohol a great deal of time to leech everything out of the material, it should be just fine. Just make sure that all the alcohol and water evap, and you should be good :)
  16. psanf420 psanf420

final product update

i'm high right now. this works. resin is a pain in the ass, and a really time consuming process, but can be a real economical way to get high. the upside is that it's a way to get high when you're totally out of weed, the downside is that you get very little product, and it can be difficult to smoke.

ok, i got it all dried out, and got ready to gather it up. to do this, i needed to scrape the resin off the plate with a razor blade. this was really hard on the fingers (because i don't have a razor blade holder), and took quite a bit of time. i harvested a bit of substance that had the texture and consistcy of tar, and the color of a greenish rat turd. i was able to roll this into little shapes and mold them a bit. they where also sticky as hell. i put the first bit in my bowl, and quickly saw that i wouldn't be able to just aply flame and inhale. i lit a cigarette and tried to burn it with the cherry, but ended up mainly sucking in nasty cigarette smoke. it really tasted oddly "sterile", and my pipe felt really "clean", but it think this was more in my head then an actual sensation. i noticed that some of it had fallen through the bottom of the bowl and into the carb, and saw that it resembled a loaded vape. i decided i'd use my bowl as a vape, considering that it was made of glass, really cheap but sturdy, and seemed like it was trying to resemble a lightbulb vape. i did this by tilting my pipe about 45 degrees sideways so the carb hole pointed "downish", and holding my lighter under the pipe, to heat the bowl. at first i held the lighter too close, and ended up with a scorch mark on the bottom of my bowl. i cleaned it off, and tried again, holding the lighter further away this time. this worked very well for me, as i was able to get the pipe to fill up with a bit of thick smoke. i breathed this in, and let it hit me, and indeed it did work. at first i relised that this wasn't at all alot and begin to wonder if it was even worth the effort at all. i decided to try more anyway, and scraped some more off the plate. i loaded it up, let it vape in my pipe, and now i'm happily chilling out.

i hope to have a full write up about this meathod, the things i used, and hopefully some good pictures too, but i can't promise anything. it'll mainly depends on how quickly i'm able to get my school work done.
    2 people like this.
  17. TheStonerGeek TheStonerGeek

Awesome! Glad to hear that it worked out for the most part. I may work on the process myself... Next time you might want to pick up a screen for your pipe, makes smoking that sort of thing a bit easier, in my opinion.

Thanks for your experience, and I look forward to seeing more from you :)
  18. leprechaunstoner leprechaunstoner

• Since: Sep 1, 2008
    The one time I smoked resin I just scraped some from my stem onto a piece of rolling paper and rolled the paper and resin into a ball that I smoked out of a pipe. That worked for me...!

Glad you got the resin after all of that work, sounded like a time consuming endeavor.
  19. psanf420 psanf420

actually, i'm glad i didn't fool around with a screen. if i had then it wouldn't have worked nearly as well because i would have been worried about finding a way to light it. using my pipe as a vape worked really well, but did result in my pipe getting dirty again. :rolleyes:

yeah, but i had next to no resin i my pipe. doing it this way, i dissolved the resin off my pipe, my chillum, and the keif in my grinder that wasn't worth anything. fuck, if the box that i keep my ground smoke in wasn't made out of wood, then i would have thrown that in there too. the method i used was a adaptation of other processes that involved some rather dangerous procedures to make honey oil. i've seen pictures on the internet where people have burned the hell out of themselves and gotten scarred for life. not something i'd like to experence.

at this point, i have enough solution left for another go, and i'll be looking for ways to improve upon this process. the most difficult part imo was scrapping the resin off of the plate that i used to evaporate the solution. i'm thinkinking that next time i might be able to use a bowl to get the resin to settle to the bottom for easier gathering. i'm not sure if that would work though, because if the resin just stuck to the sides of the bowl then it would backfire on me.
  20. VaporizorMariJ VaporizorMariJ

• Since: Dec 3, 2006
    Well I can tell you a more dangerous yet effective method that Iv done when making hash to speed up the process.

After letting it soak in 99% ISO I then put the alcohol onto a plate, then placed the plate over a pot of boiling water, do not do this with an open flame stove, also be very careful. Iv made hash and smoked it within a few hours with this process. I could see resin being alot more of a mess to scrape up