What is considered heavy marijuana use?

Discussion in 'The 420 Lounge' started by ash655, May 13, 2008.

1. ash655 ash655

• Since: May 13, 2008
  2. Trocisp Trocisp

• Since:
    There is no universally defined 'heavy use.' Often, articles will say things like 'heavy use' and mean six times a day, for scare factor. When in reality, if you're smoking six blunts in a day - that's binging, not heavy use.

Any time you read an article, take it with a grain of salt. Unless you see a Peer reviewed study attached to it. Even then, you should look for verification.
    1 people like this.
  3. Dark Dark

• Fool on the Hill
    • Since: Jun 13, 2004
    Whisked away to the Lounge :)
    1 people like this.
  4. Swabeky Swabeky

• Since: Jun 9, 2006
    Heavy use is usage that begins to impact you in everyday life, or at least thats my definition. Just like drinking, everyones tolerance is different and a couple beers at a restaurant/bar may be heavy for some and light for others. and if your worried about your lungs they do make vaporizers, which I am saving up for as we speak.
    1 people like this.
  5. 5drive 5drive

• Slacker
    • Since: Jul 31, 2006
    Even if that's true, which I doubt, heart disease or cancer from cigarettes is likely to get you before 'lung problems' from weed. I don't smoke anything anymore (I do suck down a bit of vapor though ;) ), but I can tell you from years of experience that cigarettes are far worse than mj.
    1 people like this.
  6. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I read the article and I believe that it's just another bit of propaganda. Not enough details are provided to tell us if the patients followed were smokers of only marijuana and not both marijuana and tobacco. Since many marijuana smokers also smoke tobacco, that would make the results far less meaningful. We don't know how many cases were followed or how the cases that were followed were selected. Most importantly we have no idea of the frequency of the occurrence of "bullous lung disease" in marijuana smokers or tobacco smokers. I'd never heard of it before. Apparently, it's pretty rare and mostly occurs in emphysema patients.

Also, the ills of which the article speaks are due to deep inhalation of very hot smoke and holding your breath for as long as you can. If you want to avoid the ills, vaporize or use a water pipe, don't take monster hits, and don't hold your hits for more than five seconds.

If lung function was normal, it doesn't sound like there's much of a problem.
    2 people like this.