Whats in your vapor, at what temperature?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by nornerator, May 28, 2009.

1. nornerator nornerator

• Since: Oct 28, 2005
    There needs to be research done on vaporizers.

I want to know which cannabinoids and other volatile molecules are eluting from vaporizers, and at which temperature.

For instance, I would like to know the percentage of THC, CBD, CBN, and other cannabinoids as well as the amount of tar produced at each temperature range.

I would like to have a breakdown like:

200C THC 15%, CBD, 5%, CBN, 3%, Tar 0.5% other volatile substances 86.5%
    210C THC 20%, CBD 6%, CBN 4%, Tar 1% other volatile substances 69%

Of course we would need to know the original cannabinoid composition of the bud itself to draw meaningful conclusions.

The thing that drives me crazy is that this would actually be a fairly straightforward study if cannabis were legalized.

What do you all think? Maybe I'm just a little too OCD about my vapor
  2. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    It would be interesting but I don't see any practical value in it because the results would be different for every batch of weed. Can't you find the boiling points for each compound in the Merck manual? Doesn't each one turn to vapor when it reaches that temperature?
    1 people like this.
  3. KiNg KoNG KiNg KoNG

• Since: May 13, 2008

Attached Files:

1 people like this.
  4. Larkins Larkins

• Since: Oct 12, 2008
    cool ... now i just need something to measure the temp of my buds while i'm vaping ...

that image doesn't list the fact that THC is a partial kappa-opioid receptor agonist though ;-) this would mean it could be of potential use as an anti-addiction medication (which it can).
    1 people like this.
  5. nornerator nornerator

Theoretically you should be able to tell by the boiling points of each compound what you are getting.

But the utility in this sort of study would be in the ability to compare different vaporizer efficiencies.

The exact breakdown would change for each type of weed, but you would be able to classify vaporizers based on both safety and efficiency.

For instance, there may be a material used in vaporizers that vapor has a high affinity to and adheres to. This would cause a drop in efficiency, but you would only be able to know this if we could actually measure their efficiency.

Additionally, there has not been a good study done on vaporizers that examine the actual amount of combustion by-products produced. The last study was done in 1998 on a conduction style vaporizer, and of course the results were pretty poor.

There would be numerous benefits, although in order to get a precise cannabinoid breakdown this sort of thing would need to be run on your individual batch of bud.

Perhaps in the near future when cannabis is legalized there will be standardized buds sold throughout the country and this sort of testing will become more useful.
  6. 5drive 5drive

• Slacker
    • Since: Jul 31, 2006
    I'm with you 100%, but where's the $ gonna come from for some solid studies? We can't even get agreement on the temp at which THC is released. :rolleyes:
    1 people like this.
  7. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    We can't even get any legal marijuana with which to test. The NIDA controls all of it and only supplies it to people trying to demonstrate how bad it is. Unfortunately, this research will have to be done outside the United States.
    2 people like this.
  8. anandamide anandamide

• Since: May 29, 2009
    nornerator i've got it

i thought of a way taht could work and be simple effective as far as finding neurological and behavioral differences of CBN,CBD,THC .. that temp chart of their vapor points shows they all do differently.

and volcano has a tempereture measuring device .. setting 3.5 should supposedly get rid of only THC...

we can differentially remove the bottom lower B.P. ingredients and then we have pure CBD when vaped at setting 9... or keep setting at 3.5 and have pure THC

We pre vape 1 batch at 3.5 repeatedly until the THC is all gone and then all thats left is CBD (or w/e other chemical split at a degree barrier)

next day smoke X grams of pure THC and Y grams of pure CBD/+other chems to find out what different ratios of the different chemicals will produce.
    with respect to giving a different high.. and differential receptors being activated.. find out the diff's bw the chemicals
    1 people like this.
  9. nornerator nornerator

Some of these simple studies will not cost very much money. They can be done by a team of 1 to 5 people skilled in biochemical laboratory techniques. The bulk of the money needed would simply be for paying the researchers.

The biggest hurdle is getting over the legality of the situation.
  10. Auralis Auralis

• Since: Dec 16, 2007
    I've been wondering this for a while. I'm never quite sure what temperature to go for - I started vaping with high temperatures recently because I wanted to get more CBN and CBD for it's anti-psychotic effects, to reduce paranoia, but I'm not sure if it's working.
  11. SleepyJohn SleepyJohn

• Since: Jan 15, 2009
    That's easy for You to type(preceding) over a 100, or so balloons, 356 Degrees, with is plus of Minus whatever works fine for us. When You get the effect it is nothing but fun, to check out the "higher" temperatures. Everything is different Every Time. It's a Plant. Sun, Water, nutrition, all unwilling variables. The numbers aren't in the FDA's desk either. Whatever works best, is good enough for being good.
  12. anandamide anandamide

I have a bs degree in neurobio as of 2 weeks ago and I have no experience anywhere..

that being said I am relatively positive taht I can find the differences between said chemical effects based purely on my own studies. Sure it would be a lot easier if I had lab equipment, but qualitative studies would work just fine.. think about it dude.

and i'm telling you this because you are the first person I've ever seen post something that genuinely made me think.
    1 people like this.
  13. Auralis Auralis

• Since: Dec 16, 2007
    I've seen your nick before on a similar thread. Are you on the Green Cross of BC boards?

BTW interesting link for you guys
  14. KitLeHunn KitLeHunn

• Since: Apr 9, 2008
    what better place than CANADA EHHH!?
  15. anandamide anandamide

nope, just made it.. i've used that name for an mma forum before but thats it lol

and thanks for the link taht is cool, if you know of any other breakdowns for gettting different amounts of CBD, THC, CBN and any other cannabinoids from vaping/smoking let me know