Whats the main differences of hookahs and bongs?

Discussion in 'Water Pipes' started by tanman636, Nov 12, 2008.

1. tanman636 tanman636

• Since: Jul 19, 2008
    Cuz i got a hookah and my friends told me i shouldve got a bong.

i just tried the hookah today. got high off of less then a dime with 3 other people lol. well anway, whats the main differences between them?

and what could i do to make the weed burn slower? cuz i only put the weed on the top and nothing else. and should i save up money for a bong or is a hookah good enough for now?
  2. robinsmv robinsmv

• Since: Aug 5, 2008
    hookahs are smoked much differently than a bong. with a hookah you pack the molasses tobacco called shisha into the bowl and cover it with tin foil. next poke a bunch of small holes in the tin foil. you put a hot coal on top of the tin foil and have a long enjoyable smoke. while some people put weed in with the shisha most people who really apreciate their hookahs keep weed away from it because the resin will clog a hookah very easily. there are smaller hookahs that are more suited to smoking weed (usually around a foot tall, made of brass with the bowl actually attached to the top). a hookah heats the tobacco more than it burns it. a bong on the other hand is designed to burn the weed (or tobacco if you really want to kill your lungs). its also better for smoking smaller amounts than a hookah, especially if your just smoking weed and not shisha with weed mixed in. hope this helps
  3. tanman636 tanman636

ok well ill try to save up for a bong too.

but i got a question. my hookahs like a foot tall, and i wanted to know if i must have coal on it? because im underage and i dont know where to get hookah coal from. what other alternative can i use?
  4. toothfairy420 toothfairy420

• Stoner Chique
    • Since: May 28, 2004
    Coal is for smoking very moist shisha (tobacco)...not weed, so dont worry about that. You got a hookah intended to smoke weed, the biggest difference between the two are: hookahs have the capability to be smoked by multiple people, with a large amount of weed...hence the 2-4 hoses, and a very large bowl, where as a bong has just a slightly larger than normal bowl, and only one person can smoke it at any given time.

They probably told you that you should have gotten a bong because they are more practical, you don't have to have a lot of weed with a bong, like you do with a hookah.
  5. tanman636 tanman636

so should i just use a lighter and no foil when smoking weed with it?
  6. tanman636 tanman636

holy shit, can a mod bring this to the water pipe forum? lmao!
  7. robinsmv robinsmv

• Since: Aug 5, 2008
    if ur just smoking straight weed then just spark it like you would spark a bong. putting a coal ontop of just weed would be a waste because the dry weed would instantly light and you would lose alot of smoke.
  8. toothfairy420 toothfairy420

• Stoner Chique
    yep
  9. tanman636 tanman636

does it taste good and get u high if u do:

tobacco
    weed
    tobacco
    with a foil and coal
  10. toothfairy420 toothfairy420

• Stoner Chique
    I have never done that before, but you have to get a special kind of tobacco called "shisha" for the hookah, otherwise it will turn to dust within a minute. You can find flavored shisha, which you can pair with the flavor of weed...mango, or vanilla would be good. You would be lucky to find shisha in a regular smoke shop, you would most likely have to get it at a specialty (Arabic or Egyptian) store, or on the internet.

The thing is, unless you have a hookah that is specifically made to use with shisha and coal it wont work...this is what that type of hookah looks like...[IMG]

See the chamber on top? there is a special place in there where you place the coal so that it doesn't come into direct contact with the shisha, and burn it up.

This is a picture of shisha...
    [IMG]
    unless you have this stuff, it won't work.

You also have to know how to prepare the hookah, how to place the coal/shisha, and keep it going...really, your best bet if you want to smoke shisha is to go to a hookah bar, and have the professionals help you out...otherwise, just stick with the weed.
  11. tanman636 tanman636

i have one of those 1-foot hookahs. and i was planning to put a foil over the bowl and then just put a coal on top of that. wont that work good?
  12. toothfairy420 toothfairy420

• Stoner Chique
    It might...but it might be a waste of weed. Since it will continually burn the weed you would have to continuously puff in order to not waste any smoke. The weed will most likely burn very quickly since its not as moist as shisha, but hey, if you can afford to potentially waste a bunch of weed, go for it, but whatever you do...don't use BBQ briquettes...
  13. tanman636 tanman636

i was planning on mixing shisha and weed. will that burn slowly?
  14. mizzOe mizzOe

• Since: Apr 28, 2007
    bongs don't charge you at the end of the session..... lulz
  15. andathasmoka andathasmoka

• Since: Feb 24, 2009
    Mini Hookah

I have a tiny 5 inch hookah and i was wondering if you need tinfoil over the bowl.
  16. KoolWhip420 KoolWhip420

• Since: Mar 2, 2009
    hookahs are a pain in the ass to set up, use, and clean. also the thing is like almost 10 pieces. i haven't used mine in over a year, since i stopped using tobacco. i just don't like the idea of inhaling on a piece of charcoal for 2 hours. although i have to admit, it does boost your weed high.
  17. Chunkz Chunkz

• Since: Apr 12, 2009
    well what i once done was mix my HERBEL shisha (not the same as the other shisha) its got mostly wooden bits and stems and not liquidy , i mixed the substance and smoked it. I got an amazing long seccion , it was like vaporising and it tasted good, The high was pretty low but a high is a high.
  18. Chunkz Chunkz

• Since: Apr 12, 2009
    Of course you do if you smoke shisha in it but now weed.