Why is a vaporizer high different from a smoking high?

Discussion in 'Vaporizers' started by Buzzby, Apr 24, 2005.

1. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    I recently picked up a good convection vaporizer and I think it's the greatest thing since papers. I can get high on half the amount of weed, so it'll pay for itself in a couple of months. There is a distinct difference in the quality of the high between vaping and smoking the same weed.

If I roll the weed up into a joint and smoke it I get high but I also get confused, slow, sleepy, lose my short-term memory, and find it difficult to organize my thoughts. If I vape the same amount of weed I get twice as high but remain amazingly clear-headed, which is exactly the kind of high I prefer. It's very similar to the effects of certain off-topic fungi.

I'm wondering why there is such a dramatic difference. I think it's because whatever components of the weed that produce the annoying side-effects are not getting included in the vapor.

Does anyone have more concrete knowledge about the difference in the high between vaping and smoking?
  2. PurpleKushSkunk PurpleKushSkunk

• Since: Apr 23, 2005
    I kinda get the same thing too.
    I get a better high with the glass pipe than a joint and much prefer smoking in glass pipe because you smoke pure weed contents instead of smoking weed contents WITH paper contents.
    Blunts give me a way different high than a pipe and make me sleepy, and stupid as heck, however now I stopped using blunts because smoking blunt contents over a long term can become dangerous to your health.
    Later. ::camper::
  3. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    You pegged it Buzzby ---

The vap point is set low for release of THC but does not release as much of the other cannabinoids -- This has it's benefits, as you can tell...but also a detriment if you are in fact smoking for the effects of the other cannbinoids too --

I smoke often for the sedative effect on my often manic mind ~~ I need to slow down the thought process and "dumbify" myself for a time -- so a vap for me is often not the best method for my needs.

Other cannabinoids may have additional effects on pain relief and anti-inflamatory properties

Cannabis is an amazing plant -- and the fact that we can without the over processing of the pharmeceutical industry access various levels of the plants potential is another benefit. With Vaping, Oil suspensions, Tinctures, Water filtration, and Joints -- the usefullness for this plant for recreational as well as medical purposes is extensive.

And don't think I minimize recreational use -- it is an important part of dealing with the high stress quick moving world of today (and tomorrow and even next week ;) )

...have a cookie ;)

Hugz,

Mama Budz
  4. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    • Since: Feb 17, 2003
    Vaporization actually produces much more CBN and less THC than traditional smoking methods (bong, pipe, joint). The figure is around 30% less THC, which explains why the high is much different. As you know, CBN holds most of the medicinal properties compared to THC which is mainly for psychoactive purposes. CBN also counters the effects of THC. Why does a vaporizer produce more CBN? Can't really give you a definite answer, but I suspect it has to do something with the differences in how both methods release cannabinoids. A flame is much hotter than a temperature-controlled hotplate. CBN is produced from THC via chemical oxidation, and a vaporizer would allow for more oxygen production than a flame would.
  5. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Does that imply that if you turn the heat up on the vape you would get a more "smoking-like" high? And if you'd get the cleanest high by turning it down and taking more hits?

Very interesting! I'll have to do some experiments and see if it works.
  6. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:
    ...well...it's been my experience and the experience of my "crew" ~~ that is a small and select group from which to extrapolate a statistic .... but by all means, experiment!

HL -- I love you dude -- it's like clockwork *slam* you get that statistical stuff up there as if we were a well practiced duet on this topic.

...have a macaroon ;)

Hugz,

Mama Budz

(Man o' Manishevitz...Hag Sameach to all :dance: )
  7. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I question that. Most of what I've read says that THC is the most important component for medical purposes. If CBN is so effective, why don't they produce a CBN pill instead of a THC capsule (Marinol)? It wouldn't have the silly side effects and would further the cause of the prohibitionists/big pharm.
  8. Mamabudz Mamabudz

• Since:

THIC was the first cannabinoid isolated and the one in greatest amounts.

If they were to go an acknowledge that yet another ...and possibly Another (CBD) cannabinoid have medicinal propoerties, why where would that leave Them I ask you?

And so Sativex and GW Pharmeceuticals are working with whole plant extracts rather than one cannabinoid at a time. Further studies on specific individual cannabinoids (and their function as anti oxidants in brain damage for example) are being reviewed by Universities in "furren" countries such as Spain, Italy and Israel,
  9. GanjaGirl420 GanjaGirl420

• Banned
    • Since: Apr 13, 2005
    o.o Well, if I think about it, a vapourizer gets rid of the majority of the nasty stuff in the bud that would give you a headache and a weired high. Kind of like a bong or a bubbler it cleans out the air, only a vapourizer does a hell of a lot better job than just a bubbler or bong.

xD Am I right on this? After all, I've never used a vapourizer and I'm taking a half-educated guess.
  10. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    There's no "nasty stuff" in the bud. What's nasty is the byproducts from burning bud. These are the same as the byproducts of burning just about any kind of plant material.

I have another question for the vape cognoscenti: is there any use for what's left over after you've vaped some weed. It smells good. I wonder if, smoked or eaten, it would have the sedative effects missing from the vape high.
  11. GanjaGirl420 GanjaGirl420

• Banned
    • Since: Apr 13, 2005
    o.o Well... xD That's kind of what I ment. -shrugs-

By the way, if I were to take the stem of my mini bubbler and boil it, the glass woulden't crack or anything, would it? And the smell woulden't reak up the house either, right? xD A minor smell I can deal with with opened windows and insents... But... Yeah. o.o It's not horribly dirty, it's beining to smell pretty strongly though. -nod-

I know I know, I'm suppost to post this somewhere else... But I'm here right now so A quick responce instead of a link would be really nice. -cringes slightly- My computer isn't nice when it comes to opening new windows..
  12. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
  13. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    Just some speculation, but here goes. In the States, with the little knowledge we have surrounding cannabis with all the myths and gutter science going on, people automatically think of THC and nothing else. They fail to study and utilize the other aspects of the plant. That's why we have Marinol, 100% THC, which does not help patients. I think this was done for a reason. You have medical marijuana groups that say we want medical marijuana, so a group pushes out a 100% THC pill to "please" them, and when it doesn't work like it should (because it's missing the other components) they prove a point.

They should produce a purely CBN pill, and your last sentence answered it all: it wouldn't have the side effects and would work against the cause of prohibitionists and the pharm. industry who claim there are no medicinal values in such a "crude" plant.

And actually, now that I think about it, they DO have a "CBN-like" pill out there. It's Nabilone, a synthetic cannabinoid used to treat nausea and vomiting, multiple sclerosis, anxiety (it's an anxiolytic). Much better than Prozac, Zoloft, etc. Nabilone was developed circa '83 and is only available in the UK. Children also respond VERY well to Nabilone. They did a study in the 80s comparing THC to Nabilone, 100% of the time nabilone worked while THC was only effective about 80-90% of the time.

CBN is also responsible for helping things like constipation, rheumatic pains, childbirth issues, muscle relaxant, insomnia, depression.
    THC is good for GI issues like emesis, IBS, chron's, GERD, paralytic ileus, secretory diarrhoea, gastric ulcers, etc. THC delays the gastric emptying in humans.

CBN is what gives you the munchies, it's why things like schwag and indicas induce the munchies far more than a Sativa, which is mainly THC. It's also why most medicinal strains are 100% or ratioed indicas (80/20, 60/40).

We still have 65 other cannabinoids to study besides THC, and we really only have research on 3 of them (CBN, CBD, THC). That doesn't even include the 480 substances found in cannabis, the mixtures and combinations of them would produce different results. For example: Cannabinol, nabilone, THC, and delta-8-tetrahydro-cannabinol have been found to decrease intraocular pressure (in the eyes), whereas cannabidiol (CBD) had no effect.
  14. Yaznaki Yaznaki

• Since: May 1, 2005
    Just drop about a 1/4ths worth of used stuff in the oil/water of a 9x9 batch of pillsbury/betty croaker brownie mix (after finishing grinding it in a coffee grinder) and then bake as the instructions say to do so

eat about 1/4th of the batch and wait an hour and tell me if it had the same effect to you as it does to me...

I'm fairly certain it worked for me.. but I won't go into details on how.. I want to see if it did the same to you.. nothing bad or anything

BTW. the above is how I've always made my herbal brownies and they always worked for me.. just I normally use mids instead of vaped leftovers

Hey Buzzby and Higher Logic I was wondering what yer thoughts were on this post... wasn't sure if you saw it since I double posted or if it got skipped.. lol
  15. Ganjbus Ganjbus

• Since: May 16, 2005
    Marijuana Vaporizer Highs

The high of a vaporizer differs due to not burning the leaf. Leaf is like tobacco which is a downer. The more smoke you inhale the more tired of an effect the buzz will be. That is why blunts are so heavy body wise.
  16. Higher Logic Higher Logic

• Web Developar
    No, a vaporizer offers a different high because, and I quote myself from a couple posts up:

"CBN is produced from THC via chemical oxidation, and a vaporizer would allow for more oxygen production than a flame would."
  17. weedidas weedidas

• Since: Mar 10, 2008
    Then that doesn't make sense for the vaporizer high because vape high feels more clear headed, less disorientated, no burnout or tiredness.

Cannabinol - CBN is not produced by the plant per se. It is the degradation (oxidative) product of THC. Fresh samples of marijuana contain very little CBN but curing, poor storage, or processing such as when making hashish, can cause much of the THC to be oxidized to CBN. Pure forms of CBN have at most 10 percent of the psychoactivity of THC.
    Like CBD, it is suspected of potentiating certain aspects of the high, although so far these effects appear to be slight. CBN seems to potentiate THC's disorienting qualities. One may feel more dizzy or drugged or generally messed up but not necessarily higher.
    In fact, with a high proportion of CBN, the high may start well but feels as if it never quite reaches its peak, and when coming down one feels tired or sleepy.
  18. Auralis Auralis

• Since: Dec 16, 2007
    As much as I'd like to get short with you for bumping a thread that's nearly three and a half years old, this is a very interesting discussion. Wasn't there a PDF floating around somewhere where some group studied the chemicals present in marijuana smoke compared to the vapor from a Volcano, and the different ratios? I know it has made the rounds here more than a few times.

It's also fun to see Buzzby's early vaporizer days. Nowadays it's common knowledge what AVB can do in cooking...