Your Mind

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by HoneyDutch420, Aug 8, 2007.

1. HoneyDutch420 HoneyDutch420

• Since: Aug 5, 2006
    Here is a question that I have to ask. Do you think you, individually, think differently from everyone else in the world, or do you think everyone think some what of the same. Like for example, does anyone else wonder if chronic marijuana use will make you go no where in life, or is that only if you choose not to go anywhere in life on your own with some help from the marijuana/drug use. I think pot makes you lazy, there is no arguing about that, but do you think you become accustomed to the laziness and only get lazier? I know you can smoke weed and be active, but do you think as you get accustomed you don't want to do anything at all but smoke?

And, how about depression. Does herb make you depressed or just enhance your depression. Because, I feel good at first, but after I come down I feel so shitty. I think about many things, I wonder about the credibility of my friends and how my life will spiral downwards is I use drugs. Herb isn't the worst, it is actually way better than any legal drug, but I'm talking about the drugs that come along with smoking, like LSD, Shrooms, Cocaine, Heroin, etc. etc. I don't think you are a scum bag for doing the "hard drugs" it's what they make you become at the end. You see, I am very afraid that I will end up getting addicted to a "hard" drug, because that is what rehab told me, but I don't believe it. I believe that if you want to only smoke you'll only smoke herb. I don't know I am a very opinionated person, and I always ask questions. I would like if you guys tell me what your thoughts on all this is.
  2. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    • Since: Aug 27, 2004
    It's demonstrably the latter. Did Bob Marley sit on his ass all the time smoking ganga or was he a very successful pop star? Same for Willie Nelson. Carl Sagan, the famous astronomer, was a regular pot smoker, a full professor at Cornell, an author, and a TV personality. The President and CEO of Progressive Insurance is a regular pot smoker.

A chronic smoker is someone who smokes every day, not someone who does nothing but smoke every day. If that's your life, you have no time to accomplish anything else.

I smoke every day. I had a very successful 26-year career as a Systems Analyst and Project Leader in the IT field. You can't do that if you're stoned all of the time.

I think you'd find lots of people here who would argue about that! :) Smoking pot gives unmotivated people an excuse for doing nothing, that's all. None of my pot-smoking friends are lazy people, but, then, I only enjoy hanging out with intelligent, competent, energetic people.

No. Marijuana is not addictive, except to people with a personality problem that makes them lose control with any pleasurable activity. A few people will orient their lives around smoking weed to the exclusion of everything else. Many go through a period where they overdo it, realize what a boring existence it promotes, and get their lives in balance. Cannabis is a great facet of a well-rounded life. It's a lousy focus for your life.

It's very individual. Some people say it's a great antidepressant. Some people who are barely holding depression at bay find that marijuana makes then lose that control and the depression piles in on them. For me, marijuana is definitely a mood elevator, which is not the same thing as an antidepressant. Using too much marijuana tends to leave me feeling depressed.

That's just the come-down. It can be reduced by getting enough sleep, enough exercise, enough water, a healthy diet, and lots of B-vitamin complex. I take a "Big 100" B-complex tablet every day.

It sounds like you've been well-indoctrinated by the prohibitionist propaganda machine.

There aren't any drugs that "come along with smoking". There are drugs that people choose to use that are available from the same dealers who sell weed. That's the only relationship between them.

That's more prohibitionist propaganda. Most people who use "hard drugs" do so occasionally and recreationally. Addiction and the "downward spiral" are the exceptions, not the rules. People are not as stupid as the prohibitionists would like you to believe. They'd be even smarter if the prohibitionists would stop pumping out obvious lies about drugs that make some people think the warnings about dangerous drugs are just more BS. Using drugs does not magically turn you into a druggie. That's a decision on the part of the individual.

If you don't mind my asking, what were you doing in rehab? Are you the kind of person who can't stop doing something even though you know it's bad for you? If you are, you should probably stay away from all recreational drugs, especially alcohol. If you're not that kind of person, don't worry about smoking marijuana. Unless you have an addictive personality, you only become a drug-centered person if you decide to become one.
    3 people like this.
  3. HoneyDutch420 HoneyDutch420

You are right about that. I haven't even been smoking anymore, because I just want to stop for a little bit, and see what's up with not smoking. I realized that you have to do what you need to do, and then kick back and smoke a J or whatever you smoke, after all of what you need to do is done. Which, is what I'm going to start doing.

Well, the herb I get isn't of the best quality, not that that is my excuse. It makes me very tired, and I just like to sit around and chillax. I wasn't ever active to begin with. But, like I said I think if you want to be active nothing is stopping you. I always like to chill back, and then go adventure outside.

Amen to that. I believe every word to what you just said.

Not trying to brag or boast, but I think I smoke ENTIRELY too much. I honestly think a gram to 2 grams a day would be perfect, because you will get high, a buzz, whatever, and have a good time. Don't get me wrong the occasional smoke-fest is cool, but smoking a lot everyday is just too much. I'm talking anything over an 1/8, but that is just me.

True, true.

OK, well in February, I was smoking before school, and the school cop started walking over to us. We dropped the herb and the bowl in the snow. We were smoking out of a cigarette chillum, and he thought we were smoking cigarettes. So, he told the office we were smoking cigarettes. Within 45 minutes, we were sent to the office, with the principals asking, "Where's the 4 ft. bong!?" I was like, "What are you talking about, we don't have a bong? Are you crazy?" So, they searched us, finding nothing, and we were sent back to class. We got sent to the office again, and our principal had in a piece of paper, our pipe and ALL of our herb. They somehow found it all in the snow. They said it was ours and what not, and they called our parents. Nothing happened to us, other than being suspended for cigarettes, because that was the only evidence of anything bad they actually found on us. After school, I found out that the principals were paying someone to narc on people. In April, I saw him and called him a "Pussy ass snitch!" A teacher heard, and she was hassling me about it, and I just walked away. During my lunch period, she told my principal I told her to fuck off, which I didn't. I went to the office and started to freak out. Mind all of you I wasn't high this day either. He told me that he was going to suspend me for telling the teacher that, so I told him to fuck off, and that this was a load of bullshit. I brought up the whole thing about paying the narc, and he replied with "So what if I do or not, it isn't any of your business." And, the same police officer who thought we were smoking cigarettes said to me, "It seems to me you are on heroin, and that narc is keeping potheads like you off the street." Then, my father came and talked to them. There was someone from drug court in the office now, and he said that I should go to detox. I was like fuck that, I'm not going to detox for herb. So, they called Clear Brook Lodge, the rehab nearest to me, and I was institutionalized 2 days later. I think they brain-washed me into thinking a whole bunch of bullshit lies.

I've been smoking since I got out too, because I never even wanted to be there in the first place. On June 8, 2007, I was stopped by a police officer while I was walking through an alley, with a pipe in my pants and some herb in my stash pockets. He told me that he thought I looked suspicious and he was going to search me for weapons. He searched me and found nothing, other than a pack of Newports and a lighter. He then asked me if I was arrested before, and I said yes, stupidly, what for he asked, and I said marijuana. He asked what I was doing with them, and he can bet that I have a bag of marijuana in my pants. He stuck his hand in the lining of my jeans and pulled out the pipe. He then told me that I was going to be strip searched unless I give him my marijuana. So, as any other 15 year old would do, not wanting to me violated by pigs, I gave him my pot. He looked at it, and asked me a whole shit load of stupid ass questions, such as "Is this laced? What Is in this pipe?" I gave no reply. When I was in the car, I proved him wrong about everything he said about marijuana, and I don't think he liked that. When I was at the station, the officer there told me all of the things he did were illegal. What should I do in court?
    1 people like this.
  4. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Get a good lawyer. He'll know what to do and say. You don't. Dress like a Mormon missionary. Keep your mouth shut. Speak only when spoken to. Be remorseful. Tears wouldn't hurt. You need to be a frightened little girl, not a rebellious teenager.

It sounds like keeping your mouth shut is a problem for you. You need to look after your own self-interest. Anger is fine. Smart people use their anger to get what they want. Your anger has been using you and getting you deeper into the shit.

Best of luck!

BTW, what you seem to think is moderate use is excessive use, unless you're smoking the kind of crap weed that takes 2 grams to get high.
  5. HoneyDutch420 HoneyDutch420

OK, and it really depends on what is around ya know? At times there is mostly shitty mids, other time there is bomb diggity shit. Is it possible to ever get Acapulco Gold around PA?
  6. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    I haven't seen any Acapulco Gold since long before you were born ('73)! :laugh:

I'm sure there are various kinds of high octane weed everywhere, you just have to know the right people (and have the money).
  7. loki loki

• Since: Jun 7, 2007
    People are quite capable of making their own decisions. They may not (ok, they do not) always make positive decisions, but smoking marijuana cannot be blamed for a life a person could very well have led whether they smoked or not. The problem lies in within the individual, not the weed.
    "If you drown in that mighty ocean, the ocean's not to blame."-Wookiefoot
  8. gp31089 gp31089

• Since: Jun 20, 2007
    I personally think if you're questioning marijuana, and you think it's causing adverse effects on your mind, you shouldn't do it. Not everyone needs to smoke. It's not a requirement for daily life. If you are able to enjoy smoking, do it. If you have doubts about how smoking pot will affect your life, don't do it. If you try to dig yourself a hole, you'll dig a deep one, and you'll fall in.

Here's the truth: pot doesn't mess up your life, if you don't let it. So, that said, don't let it. Enjoy it for what it is, and just relax.
    1 people like this.
  9. z3n z3n

• Since: Aug 11, 2007
    Well, I sometimes go to work high, my job involves lots of physical work.
    In Israel we don't really get much green, we smoke mostly hashish.
    Hashish REALLY mashes you down, it makes you wanna lie down and go to sleep.

But hey, I've gone to work while I was high on hashish, and it didn't bother me one bit, I've done it many times.

I do agree that marijuana CAN make you lazy to some extent, but it's really a personal choice.
    It really depends on the person.
    Some people are more active, some simply enjoy lying around watching TV, which by the way, I don't think is bad.
  10. withengineheart withengineheart

• Since: Aug 9, 2007
    Well from personal experiences I've realized this: People who are full of passion and ambition and begin smoking weed, are not affected by it in a negative way. I'm lucky to have a group full of passionate intellectuals as friends, and weed is always secondary. It always adds to an experience rather than takes away from it, and when it is time to study hard or work or whatever responsibilities we have, we are just as driven to do them.
    What I've noticed about some people who are now chronic users, is that they seemed to lack ambition or a strong passion before they started smoking. Especially for underclassmen in highschool. I notice the kids that don't really care about a whole lot about life or succeeding and begin to smoke pot and it just keeps them with that attitude.
    There are basically two hemispheres when it comes to the effects of weed on a person, and it all goes down to their mental state.
  11. z3n z3n

• Since: Aug 11, 2007
    I don't think succeeding in life is important, when you die, how does it matter?
    I know many people who think the same way as me, and they all light up a joint everyday when they wake up, smoke, and go to work.
  12. HoneyDutch420 HoneyDutch420

It doesn't, when you're dead. As of right now I want to be a Cognitive psychologist, I'd like to succeed in that, because that subject interests me, a lot. I'd rather grow up doing what I want to do, rather than grow up hating what I do. Not even successful like, millionaire, perhaps, more like able to get that job and what not, the money wouldn't be that bad either. I'd be able to help a lot of people out, my parents, both of my grandmothers, my brother. I think that would be great, plus I'd probably have a crap load of some ganj.
    http://www.marijuana.com/420/images/smilies/biggrinangelA.gif
    :angel:
  13. HoneyDutch420 HoneyDutch420

And, like Slightly Stoopid says, "No ganja never hurt no one."
  14. Buzzby Buzzby

• Buddhist Curmudgeon
    Using that logic, nothing would be important. It's just an excuse for not trying.
  15. Equilibrium Equilibrium

• Cranched Scanner
    • Since: Feb 3, 2006
    Bob Marley is a pop star?when did that happen?
    1 people like this.
  16. higher_Powers higher_Powers

• Since: Jun 18, 2007
    I think, in a whole, people think the same. We all go through the same thought processes, we all have the same levels of understanding, we all go through the normal phases at the same rate as our brothers and sisters of the world, but i believe we all have our own individual perspective on things.

Like, when someone asks me a question i think about it for a while then give my answer...and thats how everyone in life does it but we each give our own personality into the answer we give and that determines the difference between two humans (the answer we give).

And if dying int he end makes you not work hard in your life then your a nitwit i think lol. Its very important to work hard while your alive to preserve and modify our life now so that our children can inherit this life and make that life better and better for their children and so on and so on. Giving up now because you lose in the end is a lame excuse i say. I believe that the end justifies the means, but since you cant justify your life for anything besides the inevitable death, then i see life as an open "gap" to make yourself what you wish.
  17. higher_Powers higher_Powers

• Since: Jun 18, 2007
    I think, in a whole, people think the same. We all go through the same thought processes, we all have the same levels of understanding, we all go through the normal phases at the same rate as our brothers and sisters of the world, but i believe we all have our own individual perspective on things.

Like, when someone asks me a question i think about it for a while then give my answer...and thats how everyone in life does it but we each give our own personality into the answer we give and that determines the difference between two humans (the answer we give).

And if dying int he end makes you not work hard in your life then your a nitwit i think lol. Its very important to work hard while your alive to preserve and modify our life now so that our children can inherit this life and make that life better and better for their children and so on and so on. Giving up now because you lose in the end is a lame excuse i say. I believe that the end justifies the means, but since you cant justify your life for anything besides the inevitable death, then i see life as an open "gap" to make yourself what you wish.
  18. Richi Richi

• CB1 receptor agonist
    • Since: Dec 21, 2004
    I think no two people think the same. Our thoughts are a result of the years of upbringing we've endured, which includes everything we've learned from society, our parents, religion, friends, school, etc.

No two people will have the exact same opinion about everything.