Heat required to activate THC - Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'Cooking with Marijuana Recipes' started by 1956, Jun 18, 2011.

1. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Why do so many people believe that heat is required to activate THC?
    I keep running in to comments on the web that read like this:

My problem is that I cannot find any evidence to back this up. It just seems to be something that is repeated so much, or perhaps the correct term is misquoted so much, that it has been recognized as a MJ fact.

I do believe that heat can speed the process, but I have never found a source that says it has to be heated.

If anyone could clarify this for me I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks

2. Bud Is good

Bud Is good Resident non smoker

Sorry I went camping thursday night..And last night I just fell asleep so I couldn't go throught my documentaries for you..Tonight I'm going to be gone till midnight..So It wont be anytime tonight either..

3. Drew420

Drew420 New Member

Heat makes it happen a hell of a lot faster. As in like minutes over days.

4. Buzzby

Buzzby Buddhist Curmudgeon

What you are talking about is "decarboxylation". Some of the plant's THC is tied up as THC-COOH, an acid form that is not very psychoactive. Heating the cannabis to 220˚F drives off the COOH as carbon dioxide and water. This happens automatically if you smoke, vape, or cook with the weed. The process also occurs naturally as the marijuana dries and cures.

2 people like this.
  5. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

I stated that in my post, but I see so many references stating that it has to heated that I can't verify. I wonder if pot curing knowledge hasn't improved enough over the years that professionally grown and cured weed is actually improved by heat. My personal suspicion is that wanting to sound authoritative people have repeated something they have heard (maybe) and that over time the fact has gone from can be activated by heat to has to be activated by heat.

I think there are more MJ facts on the internet that have some basis in reality, but have been misquoted or misunderstood when reposted by someone (possibly stoned) in forums such as this.

From personal experience I make firecrackers with Jif PB, many sites will tell you that it won't work. But mine always do?

I have also gotten incredibly stoned eating raw weed. I have had inconsistent results, but I have gotten stoned.
    Again, many sites will claim that it is impossible, but never explain their evidence. I take that back, they will say our stomachs can't digest raw plant matter, but fail to explain why a spinach salad is suppose to be a good source of iron.

I'm being picky. but wouldn't it be better to try and find the truth of the matter, than to just validate claims by saying " I dunno, but I have always read that "

6. AngelHeart

AngelHeart Active Member

I was also wondering if weed really had to be heated in oil to extract the THC. Alcohol doesn't have to be heated to extract THC. I just started a new thread "Butter Substitute?" It's related to the heating question.

I was also wondering if weed really had to be heated in oil to extract the THC because it doesn't have to be heated in alcohol (for example Green Dragon). I just started a new recipe thread "Butter Substitute?" It relates to nthe heating question.

7. Buzzby

Heating the butter speeds up the process tremendously. Think of how much quicker sugar dissolves in hot water compared to cold water.

8. Waldy

Waldy Sr. Member

why is it smoked? through a flame? if it wasn't, why wouldn't everyone just eat it?

9. WolfGang Paco

WolfGang Paco Sr. Member

You can't eat straight weed, it's cooked in butter as our body doesn't absorb pure THC through our stomach lining, so we have to cook it in fat, which is easily digested.

10. Waldy

Waldy Sr. Member

lol i know, i was saying if it WASN'T released through heat, why wouldn't everyone eat it, saying that you need heat.

11. WolfGang Paco

WolfGang Paco Sr. Member

Then I guess we'd all eat it haha

12. Waldy

Waldy Sr. Member

haha exactly, but we don't, because it needs heat. do you get my point now? :p

13. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

I asked the original question. Where do you get your information?
    Just because you have never eaten enough raw weed to get stoned, doesn't mean it doesn't work. It is simply beyond your scope of experience.
    I get quite stoned eating raw weed, but it is not as efficient as smoking it, or cooking in fats, or soaking it in alcohol.

My intent with this post was for someone to show me factual info that verifies the statement about heat. Something that goes beyond," that's what I've always heard."

One teenager, verify the myths proffered by another teenager, does not does not make for a validated argument.

Can you tell me why it needs heat?

2 people like this.
  14. Buzzby

Marijuana that has been properly dried and cured does not need heat to reach it's full potency potential. Decarboxylation occurs gradually during this process. If the weed has not been properly dried and cured, heating it to 220˚F will convert THC from its less potent acid form to its more potent neutral form.

2 people like this.
  15. Waldy

Waldy Sr. Member

look up green dragon.

16. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Waldy

I've made green dragon on several occasions. With the cold method, the heat method and the sit and wait method. I have two (partial) bottles (sit and wait method) of it now.

What is your point?

17. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Wolfgang Paco
    Can you please validate your remark, what studies have been done about the stomach ability to absorb THC. Where can I find this information for myself.

Is this just another, that's what I've always heard theory, or do you have a valid source of information?

I will concur that THC might not be absorbed in the stomach, since digestion of most food products takes place in the small intestine. One of the reasons fats or alcohol are more conducive is that they will begin being absorbed in the stomach. Then again, analgesics are absorbed in the stomach and many medical users use pot for pain. Maybe it can be absorbed in the stomach. I am waiting to see the information that you have that validates your opinions.

18. 1956

1956 Sr. Member

Buzzby

This was the issue that brought me to MJ sites about 5 years ago. I googled eating raw marijuana, and found multiple pages that said it would have no effect, when I knew from personal experience that it would. About the 3rd search results page in I realized that a lot of the info was verbatim and had simply been cut and pasted, but I don't know what was the original source.

From the web I have learned about tinctures and firecrakers, two nifty culinary delights. But had hoped that by sticking to my guns with this thread I might get some young'un to grasp the fallacy of verifying an argument with " I dunno, but that's what I've always heard."
    And maybe research or even experiment on their own.
    Guess I'm not the only old folk that has been frustrated by not being able to do so.

Oh well, think I roll a joint and stop worrying about it.

19. Waldy

Waldy Sr. Member

That you can also absorb THC through alcohol, and not heat.

20. Teleo9

Teleo9 New Member

That's why!

Nobody really knows unless you see a scientific study or you do it yourself. But how many studies actively cook cannabis to see what happens?