How hot do lighters burn

Discussion in 'The 420 Lounge' started by Shake, May 8, 2007.

1. Shake

Shake New Member

Hello everyone i was browsing this website(thinkgeek.com) and i found this pretty sweet lighter but it says it burns at 2400 °F (1300 °C). Now i don't know how hot a flame usually is but this seems a little much. I am thinking it would just totally destroy your weed like turn to ash the second the flame hits it. So does any one know what a normal lighter burns at or is that normal? and also would that destroy your weed like i was thinking?

2. vern

vern Sr. Member

I think Bics burn around 1300 degrees F. And yes flame does pretty much destroy your weed by combusting it - a by-product of that, is that tasty smoke.

3. Shake

Shake New Member

o ok i don't know why i was stressing with it burning my weed lol thats the hole point of it! thanks for the quick response :D

4. dope4thepope

dope4thepope New Member

if it burns that hot, its probably one of those butane torch lighters. You gotta remember that those things dont have the same nice neutral flavor that bic's flames have. I would only use them for sparking up joints, it gives you kind of a nasty flavor if you use them on a bowl

5. Richi

Richi CB1 receptor agonist

Not a chance. Glass melts at 600 °C.

Your lighter reaches 500 °C tops, closer to 450 °C I'd say... now in American... :D

Not a chance. Glass melts at 1112 °F.

Your lighter reaches 932 °C tops, closer to 842 °C I'd say...

6. Noeone

Noeone Sr. Member

I know exactly what you are talking about and it's a waste for weed, the extra heat will cause more weed to be lost to just burning up. That being said if you need to bend glass or hard plastic tubing it's a good buy.

7. Tewks44

Tewks44 New Member

I wouldn't be concerned about your weed getting wasted from the hot flame so much as I would be about you lungs getting scorched. If your using the lighter to light a joint or some kind of water filtration pipe you should be fine, but smoking from a normal pipe with a flame that hot could really cause some damage to your lungs.